Can and Should?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can and Should?

Can a jingle dancer who is not Anishinabekwe give someone the right to do this dance?

Should someone take it upon theirselves to do this just because they are a well known contemporary jingle dress dancer?

Should a nonAnishinabekwe who is ~quote "respectful, think they know the history of this dance or had a vision of dancing in a jingle dress" be able to make and dance in a jingle dress?

Whatcha' think?
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Whome, absolutely not. I feel that it's okay for a non-Anishinabekwe to do the dance with permission and that, but it is not okay for them to give permission. That should come from the people.

Again, this actually happened to me. A good friend of mine who is Kiowa, her daughter wanted to do this dance. I took her to a good friend of mine who is Anishinabekwe, it took us a couple of months to get it all together for this young girl to even talk to this woman, but it was worth it and it's the only way that I would do something like that. And even before that it was a year or so since the girl had wanted to start it (there is more to it, but that's not for here) and then it still took several more months. This is not something to just go out and buy a dress and put it on and start dancing--which I have seen people do.

Comment

Originally posted by timmy tiger View Post
      Whome, absolutely not. I feel that it's okay for a non-Anishinabekwe to do the dance with permission and that, but it is not okay for them to give permission. That should come from the people.

Again, this actually happened to me. A good friend of mine who is Kiowa, her daughter wanted to do this dance. I took her to a good friend of mine who is Anishinabekwe, it took us a couple of months to get it all together for this young girl to even talk to this woman, but it was worth it and it's the only way that I would do something like that. And even before that it was a year or so since the girl had wanted to start it (there is more to it, but that's not for here) and then it still took several more months. This is not something to just go out and buy a dress and put it on and start dancing--which I have seen people do.
      I kinda agree. Being non-Anishinabekwe myself, when I'm asked to teach young ones how to dance, I always let them and the parents know that a lot of people ask an Anishinabe person for "permission" (for lack of a better term) to enter the arena with that dance style.
      I got a bit of a curve ball though recently. One of my co-workers who is a Bad River Ojibwe tribal member asked me to teach her daughter how to dance in a jingle dress. I thought that was a great honor since they are Mide and could have found many other people to help her!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaina1128 View Post
        I kinda agree. Being non-Anishinabekwe myself, when I'm asked to teach young ones how to dance, I always let them and the parents know that a lot of people ask an Anishinabe person for "permission" (for lack of a better term) to enter the arena with that dance style.
        I got a bit of a curve ball though recently. One of my co-workers who is a Bad River Ojibwe tribal member asked me to teach her daughter how to dance in a jingle dress. I thought that was a great honor since they are Mide and could have found many other people to help her!

They have special jingle dress dancers within the Midewin lodge. Not going much more into that here though. Those dresses worn in the lodge are never worn outside for powwow and maybe just maybe those 'lodge' women have limited knowledge about the powwow world. Very traditional vs powwow ways kind-of-thing.

Even though Kaina you are non-Anishnabe Ikwe, it seems that person would get some good information from you. And not every single Anishnabe Ikwe knows the how to's, the whys and hows of our dress. Many of our people have not grown up with our ways due to adoption, foster homes, and so on, but yet.....we are very careful in terms of who we are giving information to and what information is being given.
        Last edited by ojibwaysweetie; 06-29-2008, 07:53 AM.
        "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

Comment

This is a good thread! I should be writing an essay on Technology and Medical Advancements but here I am surfing pws.com

I'll be back to post when I get some more time.
          SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Singing Otter View Post
            This is a good thread! I should be writing an essay on Technology and Medical Advancements but here I am surfing pws.com

I'll be back to post when I get some more time.
            You get them studies done, Otter! No surfin' allowed until that essay is done!

Comment

But... but......... but....
              SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

I know...I've got three exams to study for, but here I am...

Comment

nah i dont think so, unless said person was raised with an ojib family and taught the ways of the ojib :) as for the vision thing well i posted something on another thread on that subject :P lol i'll repost later :)
                  There can only be 2 moccasins on your feet at one time...however life has given me many pair...along with a needle, thread and really sharp teeth to cut with...lmao

http://www.myspace.com/anty_tweeb

Comment

nevermind but but but...you get yer butt to them studies.

lmao

Comment

LOL I finished! Now I can post! hehe

Hope this makes sense. My mind is all over the place because I've been pretty busy this AM.

K here's what I think. I'm not Anishnabe and I get a lil weirded when people ask me to give them permission to dance. It's almost like they come up to you and ask you to vouch for them when you don't know them from Adam's house cat. I can help and try to steer someone in the right way to the best of my abilities but I always tell them "There are alot of responsibilities involved. I don't own this and I can't give or take your right to dance." Sometimes they get really indignant and demand I show/tell/share what I "know" (squat lol... sorry my sense of humor is a bit warped.) I get annoyed with people that act like you OWE them something. If I've learned anything with dancing and sewing and beadwork it's patience. With that said, I can't and don't.

There are so many responsibilities and I see some very jacked up stuff... sometimes I say something, and sometimes I mind my own. I believe that you should carry yourself in a good way 24/7... not just when you put that dress on. Stop judging and be respectful to one another. How are you going to jingle and have hate or ill contempt in your heart? Come on now.... but I digress.

When I started dancing, I was blessed with good friends and family. They shared what they knew, introduced me to folks, helped me out by gifting me stuff for my outfit.... every part of my outfit has a story. I feel very blessed, even though I haven't danced in about a year I get to the point where I want to shake some jingles lol. (I like to move it move it! I like to move it move it! I like to move it move it! I like to.....MOVE IT! lol gotcha singin it huh? )

Anyways, when I have the time I try to make more of my own stuff nowadays. I have some lids that need to be cut and rolled, some beadwork that needs to be finished, and come December,,,, some heavy dancing to catch up on.
                      SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.