....:::Dress Construction:::...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ....:::Dress Construction:::...

How do you all construct your dress? Do you do a top part, then the bottom, then sew the top and bottom together? Do you do one full dress then do an underskirt for it? I've done them both ways. What do yaz all do?
    "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

Originally posted by ojibwaysweetie View Post
    How do you all construct your dress? Do you do a top part, then the bottom, then sew the top and bottom together? Do you do one full dress then do an underskirt for it? I've done them both ways. What do yaz all do?

Aniin Sweetie. I'm just now making my first one. I never seen the dress being made. But I've seen how mine was put together in my dream. And it was made in two parts and then sewed together.

Comment

Mine is all one piece without an underskirt. I either gotta wear shorts under it or make an underskirt for it.

Comment

I've sewn dresses by every construction method out there. I prefer the one piece deal with a separate underskirt. That allows for mix and matching and there is no seam at the waist to be stressed or pull apart from the weight of the skirt jingles. The separate ensemble is also good for accomodating someone who is still growing.

Comment

For kids I like the cobbler apron style because it has lots of growing room.

Comment

Originally posted by Shingwauk View Post
            Aniin Sweetie. I'm just now making my first one. I never seen the dress being made. But I've seen how mine was put together in my dream. And it was made in two parts and then sewed together.
            Aniin Shingwauk! Anish nah? Goot to see you! *big hugs* How are things with you?

Yeah, I tend to believe that traditionally our women made our dresses in 2 parts like that. I've seen older women make them and they do 2 parts. But, I've done them both ways, and I don't think I have a preference. I guess it all depends on how I feel at the time Im sewing.

What color is your dress?

Comment

We always wear underskirts.

Comment

I make my dresses in two pieces (top & bottom) then sew them together. I am smaller on top then the bottom so doing it all in one shot will be bit of a tailoring nightmare...lol. I also find it alot easier that way.

I made one dress last year without an underskirt and it felt like I was exposing myself even though I had long shorts underneath. So I will be adding an underskirt to that dress before I wear it again.

Comment

Originally posted by ojibwaywmn View Post
                  I make my dresses in two pieces (top & bottom) then sew them together. I am smaller on top then the bottom so doing it all in one shot will be bit of a tailoring nightmare...lol. I also find it alot easier that way.

I made one dress last year without an underskirt and it felt like I was exposing myself even though I had long shorts underneath. So I will be adding an underskirt to that dress before I wear it again.
                  Yeah! I don't like it when my girls don't use their underskirts. One powwow we were at, they didn't wear their underskirts - just their shorts. It was extremely hot is why they did not wear their underskirts, But I still put a lil blanket or towel over their bare legs. Just don't sit right with me!

You are lucky you are smaller on top. I'm boxy, so I find a man's shirt pattern best fits me. I got my bannock in da middle LOL!

I do my bottom part free hand - just cut it out in a slight A-line pattern and do the work. I use a ruler and pen to mark where I have to sew bottom to top. It works out goot.

When I make the whole dress pattern I just extend the men's shirt pattern longggg.

Comment

i use the three piece method...only cause momma and gram said a woman never shows her legs off in public...kinda like indecent exposure lmao but yeah i try to use cotton under skirts only because its breathable and is worth it in hot weather....
                    There can only be 2 moccasins on your feet at one time...however life has given me many pair...along with a needle, thread and really sharp teeth to cut with...lmao

http://www.myspace.com/anty_tweeb

Comment

Yeah when we make the 'bottom' part the underskirt is included. Make seperate one when making a one piece

Comment

Originally posted by ojibwaysweetie View Post
                        Aniin Shingwauk! Anish nah? Goot to see you! *big hugs* How are things with you?

Yeah, I tend to believe that traditionally our women made our dresses in 2 parts like that. I've seen older women make them and they do 2 parts. But, I've done them both ways, and I don't think I have a preference. I guess it all depends on how I feel at the time Im sewing.

What color is your dress?
                        I've been doing good. *hugs back* We moved back to the states awhile ago. The kids are getting big. Waskone' is 3 and Minisno turned 6 today and the oldest one Carolina is almost 12(yikes)lol. How have things been going with you? I never got a chance to visit with you when we was living on Garden.

My base color of the dress is red. After mine I'm going to start one for Waskone'. She dances all around the house. Ever cute. So I figure it's time for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Shingwauk View Post
                          I've been doing good. *hugs back* We moved back to the states awhile ago. The kids are getting big. Waskone' is 3 and Minisno turned 6 today and the oldest one Carolina is almost 12(yikes)lol. How have things been going with you? I never got a chance to visit with you when we was living on Garden.

My base color of the dress is red. After mine I'm going to start one for Waskone'. She dances all around the house. Ever cute. So I figure it's time for her.
                          Gosh! I cannot blv the age of the kiddies now! You almost have a teen! omg. lol. Things been going okay here for me, just been really busy with teen girls and beading and sewing and the full time job and elderly parents. But I'll never give up on anything, I keep forging ahead.

Yes, I wished we got to visit, but one day we'll get caught up!

Good luck on the new dress. I love red, its a beautiful colour. Hows my cuzzin doing? Say Boozhoo to him for me, and you all take good care.

Hugs
                          n
                          Love

Comment

Do you all design your dress out first, and the colour then construct? Or do some of you just go along and work as it comes to you?

With me, I basically design on paper do some colouring, but a lot of the times, as I am in midst of sewing, something will come to my mind and I end up changing it quite a bit. Does that ever happen toyou?

Comment

construction

I'm making my dress in three parts. An underdress then apron and cape. I picked out all the colors and desings before sewing, other wise I would be lost!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X