Tiny Tot Jinglers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny Tot Jinglers

We got into a discussion at a powwow I was at a few weeks ago and it got me to thinking, what is your opinion on little girls jingle dancing? As in, way too young to understand the responsibilities and the power of the dress and it's medicine. My daughter is three and dances fancy shawl (well sort of! LOL) but since I started jingle dancing, she wants a dress like mine. I know she isn't old enough to understand yet but I was told that a young child is innocent enough that they can't cause any bad medicine to taint the medicine of the dress. What do you think? I'm working on her regalia for next year as part of her Christmas gift and am trying to decide what to do.

My personal opinion is ....

Contemporary jingle dresses with neon designs, holes in the sleeves and dancers who don't have close affiliations with their tribal communities.....

AIN'T gonna heal nobody.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

my daughter is also 3 and dances jingle. from my view . . . being a young child, being innocent, smiling, and laughing is the best medicine. when ppl see tiny tots bouncing about in the arena . . . it makes them happy and light. its not strong . . . but it brings good feelings and thoughts for that moment

thats what u get 4 breaking my heart...

Comment

Ok, my dress is contemporary and I guess you could consider the pink "neon" even though it is really just bright but it doesn't have holes in the sleeves and I don't have a tribal community to have a close relationship with. I am not a member of any tribe officially but I am very close with my native "family." I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I went through the proper ceremonies and did my preparations to become a jingle dress dancer and take my responsibilities as such very seriously. I don't drink, smoke, swear or do any type of drugs other than the occassional tylenol for a headache.

Comment

Originally posted by Mud_Woman View Post
          my daughter is also 3 and dances jingle. from my view . . . being a young child, being innocent, smiling, and laughing is the best medicine. when ppl see tiny tots bouncing about in the arena . . . it makes them happy and light. its not strong . . . but it brings good feelings and thoughts for that moment
          Thank you so much! I think the little ones are adorable. I think I'll make her a jingle and a fancy for next season. I'll let her choose.

Comment

I agree with the previous post. Little children dancing jingle are so cute.

Comment

I never thought twice about it since I had jingle dress dancers asking me to make their little ones some dresses, and I figured they should know.
              ...it is what it is...

Comment

Weweni ji-minoseg idash meenawaa ezhi-chige ezhi-chiged.

Originally posted by cherokeemom06 View Post
                . I know she isn't old enough to understand yet but I was told that a young child is innocent enough that they can't cause any bad medicine to taint the medicine of the dress.
                Mii iw keyaa ezhi-ditibiseyaan

Comment

2 of my girls dance jingle and they - not their father or I, were the ones that made that choice. They were responsible for giving a gift and asking in the right way to their special elder asking for permission to dance this beautiful and blessed way. They are guided by a wonderful family they have become a part of. I ask for this families assistance when teaching my daughters. They are now 7 and 5 and they asked at age 4 for permission to dance. I also agre that watching these young girls, with smiles on their faces proud to wear their regalia is absolutely a blessing!
                  OrangePridendnds1
                  "What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
                  Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator
                  ...... everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence.
                  Mourning Dove Salish 1888-1936

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X