Old Syle Outfits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soopashinaab View Post
    Hey Naughty Girl!!! I was admiring that dress and guess what??? Someone forgot to tell them they need 365 jingles!!! Unless they're all on the back!!

"Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

Comment

"old style" these days is just that...a "style" Every other powwow someone else is switching. even people who have been dancing a certain way for a long time. I just dont get it.
      i think its great that people are trying to get back to the roots of the dance BUT you just have to wonder how many are doing it because thats the thing to do or if they're doing it because thats how they know the dance. know what i mean? seems kinda fishy to me LOL

i do like the beadwork with velvet. the flowers are so pretty! but just like with the neon, once everyones dress looks the same we'll just kind of blend. what if a judge meant to pick that girl but wait, their dresses look the same which one was it again?? LOL j/k.
      Last edited by ~*~ShanLyn~*~; 10-01-2008, 08:48 AM.
      ~*~¤(¯`·._» >The Prettiest People do the Ugliest things <«_.·´¯)¤ ~*~

Comment

For those that are concerned that the old style jingle dress dance is on the way to nonexistence I'd invite you to attend a traditional powwow anywhere in Ojibwe country and you'll get a good dose of straight up old style. Even in Ojibwe country, old style differs depending on what part you are in. What one may deem old style in Obaashing may be different than what they do in Naotkamegwanning or Misi-zagaa'iganing I guess just as our language differs with dialects and such.

That being said, can we really truly put one definition on old style? What is it to you? If a dancer with a "flashy" outfit and beadwork is out there doing old style steps then what are they? If a dancer with granny braids, calico print dress/or velvet dress and otter furs are kicking and doing contemp moves are they old style? Or do you have to have the old style look and the steps to be considered true oldstyle. I guess we could get really technical and start comparing the old style look of today to what was really represented in the past and be amazed. I know I've talked to a well respected old style ojibwe jingler and she remarked on how the old style jingle look that we see represented at powwows lately is different than how she remembers and was taught.

Good words, Roobz!

Basically, I think everyone is "contemp" (so to speak) in these days and ages at powwows. LOL. Old style today is definitely not the old style 'back in the day'. However, there are still some of that style that holds yet today. The no feathers, plumes, fans and some of the old style steps are still hanging in there, keeping it real ya know. Yep, I agree and have seen old style dresses danced with a contemp style of dance, and vice versa. lol. In the powwow world/culture, there could be so many different Jingle Dress categories! lol.

One thing though - the real work of the Jingle Dress has not gone astray. When you are in 'the lodge', its dark and people are awaiting their healings, and you barely see the dancers come in but hear the cones loud and clear doing the work it was meant to do.........that feeling is unexplainable and I'm extremely proud to be part of such a significant feature of our Anishnabe people.

As for the powwow world/culture, it is social--where we meet friends, old and new. Let's enjoy, be respectful of the dress, and have fun dancing your style.

Mii awe,

Comment

Originally posted by ojibwaysweetie View Post
          For those that are concerned that the old style jingle dress dance is on the way to nonexistence I'd invite you to attend a traditional powwow anywhere in Ojibwe country and you'll get a good dose of straight up old style. Even in Ojibwe country, old style differs depending on what part you are in. What one may deem old style in Obaashing may be different than what they do in Naotkamegwanning or Misi-zagaa'iganing I guess just as our language differs with dialects and such.

That being said, can we really truly put one definition on old style? What is it to you? If a dancer with a "flashy" outfit and beadwork is out there doing old style steps then what are they? If a dancer with granny braids, calico print dress/or velvet dress and otter furs are kicking and doing contemp moves are they old style? Or do you have to have the old style look and the steps to be considered true oldstyle. I guess we could get really technical and start comparing the old style look of today to what was really represented in the past and be amazed. I know I've talked to a well respected old style ojibwe jingler and she remarked on how the old style jingle look that we see represented at powwows lately is different than how she remembers and was taught.

Good words, Roobz!

Basically, I think everyone is "contemp" (so to speak) in these days and ages at powwows. LOL. Old style today is definitely not the old style 'back in the day'. However, there are still some of that style that holds yet today. The no feathers, plumes, fans and some of the old style steps are still hanging in there, keeping it real ya know. Yep, I agree and have seen old style dresses danced with a contemp style of dance, and vice versa. lol. In the powwow world/culture, there could be so many different Jingle Dress categories! lol.

One thing though - the real work of the Jingle Dress has not gone astray. When you are in 'the lodge', its dark and people are awaiting their healings, and you barely see the dancers come in but hear the cones loud and clear doing the work it was meant to do.........that feeling is unexplainable and I'm extremely proud to be part of such a significant feature of our Anishnabe people.

As for the powwow world/culture, it is social--where we meet friends, old and new. Let's enjoy, be respectful of the dress, and have fun dancing your style.

Mii awe,
          That's a big HOWAH!!!!
          I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

Comment

Apije Miigwetch Shinaab

Comment

I was wondering why my head hurt!!! LMAO

Comment

I was wondering why my head hurt!!! LMAO
                I doint necessarily think we need to just stop everything and go back to calico prints and cotton dresses but I would like to see a lot of the dancers tone down a bit...My daughter Camille is a champion jingler and I dont want her being too over board.... she is still respectful of the style..... this is jingle not fancy shawl

Comment

Originally posted by LakotaSiouxper View Post
                  I doint necessarily think we need to just stop everything and go back to calico prints and cotton dresses but I would like to see a lot of the dancers tone down a bit...My daughter Camille is a champion jingler and I dont want her being too over board.... she is still respectful of the style..... this is jingle not fancy shawl
                  Am I missing something? Just curious as to why you're quoting me. I have seen some beautiful jingle dresses of all different colors and styles... some a little tacky, and some very pretty. I like to see both new and old style of clothing. I do like to see the older style of dress still hanging on though...

Comment

Am I missing something? Just curious as to why you're quoting me. I have seen some beautiful jingle dresses of all different colors and styles... some a little tacky, and some very pretty. I like to see both new and old style of clothing. I do like to see the older style of dress still hanging on though...
                    haha ope didnt realize I was quoting you either...lol..thought I just hit reply.... sorry....

Comment

Originally posted by LakotaSiouxper View Post
                      haha ope didnt realize I was quoting you either...lol..thought I just hit reply.... sorry....
                      It's all good!!

Comment

So..............what else?

:p

Comment

Mii awe,
                          some good words there!

Comment

deleted
                            Last edited by Dancin'~Diva; 12-08-2008, 11:06 AM.

Comment

old style outfits

wow, you have learned so much and alot more , we take great pride in our culture and your ability to try to understand this is impressive i commend you and feel honored that you walk this spiritual lifestyle it takes someone very special to do and chose what you have accomplished. please carry on, this is a healing dance. i make these types of dresses and if one thing is clear with the changing times it is often hard to distinguish the contemp and old style. i was taught by my granny's to never wear eagle feathers or carry fans as long ago women were not allowed to carry spiritual items, and sad to say that these items are no longer revered as such. my grannys told me that cetain things were given to woman and men example the sweat lodge was given to the men because women have the gift to cleanse every month and men enter the sweat lodge to cleanse in this way. now women and men sweat together. it seems to me that culture and traditon are changed to accomadate the feelings of people. i am a pipe carrier but have chosen to leave it in the care jof the elder who gave it to me until such time when i feel ready. i feel way to young and maybe someday..... i smudge and pray and give thanks for what i have. i live simple and do alot of beadwork it gives me patience. all my family members dance but i make certain they are ready for that style. i nver say it in a negative way but rather sit sown with my grandchildren and talk with them the importance of these things. my grand girls learn my teachings and i make sure they are solid. i lived wth grandmothers before they passed on and i can tell you they passed along alot of teachings and it because of them i am who i am today. i encourage you to follow who you have become and do what you feel is right in your heart and open up your dreams and try to follow them because this is a special place for spirits and you learn alot and get many gifts from this special way of communication.

Comment

Deleted
                                Last edited by Dancin'~Diva; 12-08-2008, 11:07 AM. Reason: nothing but a headache

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.