No announcement yet.

Old Syle Outfits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i go to tradish and contest powwows and everytime i go the drums call you feel .....a sense of belonging. i encourage you to come see and feel the spiritual side of this way of life. i promise you will not be disappointed. not saying that you don't feel it over there but saying that the to experience the ultimate sense of spiritual awakening is to walk on the dance floor and be a part of the circle. my daughter passed on last year and she was a twin and both are ladies traditional dancers and our grieving was filled with the knowledge that in this circle she lived and danced i feel happy that we have this great culture that the family we have is comforting and full in the knowledge that our spiritual side carries on, that is my comfort and my beliefs. i will be danced back in this coming year after observing our year of grieving. ekosi

Comment

Originally posted by Roobz View Post
      some good words there!
      Chi Miigwetch, Roobz
      "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

Comment

Deleted
        Last edited by Kaina1128; 11-14-2018, 07:14 PM. Reason: Deleted

Comment

So I made an old style dress with them cowery shells at the bottom and a lil yoke with the shells all over. It's blue calico print with the yoke being burgandy, or that deep wine color. Can't think of the word. It's cute. I am used to having a bit more design, but this'll do. lol. I might put some silver studs around the yoke. not sure yet. I like the yoke idea as one can co-ordinate the color dresses worn with it. It's goot.

Anyone else?

Comment

Hey, I posted in another thread about a dress design that has been coming to me. It is for me and it is of a white calico with blue/teal blue flowers (dainty/small print). The top part "yoke area" is burgundy - no design. Long sleeve and it is accented with yellow, orange, red and teal blue ribbon work where the burgundy and calico print meets. The sleeves the burgundy v's down with the same accent of ribbon work on it. nothing at the waist..but just below is the graphic mountain/step deisgn with three colors: white middle, teal then burgundy. The biased area (ribbon area for jingle) is white with silver jingles..but something tells me that gold ones instead..hmmm... The very bottom is burgundy again and in the middle front and back is a tipi design on the sides it is the graphic butterfly I use in my family's design. I also see the elks teeth on top...I have been dreaming of this dress for almost a week now and so I drew it out and went to check out material at wal mart/joann's is next. Thought I would share. I have been finishing up my beadwork for my outfit. Doing the cuffs and so designs have been flowing through my head at night like crazy. My husband laughs at me - tells me to draw them out as they come. If I did that I wouldn't sleep. My daughter wants a less 'contemp' dress too.
            ~*~If you get mad, you just have to get glad again~*~ No sense in wasting your time with anger~*~

>!< KIMIMILA>!<

Comment

Let us know how the dress is coming.

Comment

Thanks for being real Ojibsweetie, the ceremonial aspect you mentioned certainly distinguishes it from the pow wow jingle dresses. It's disheartening to hear all the criticism that surrounds the old school vs. contemporary, your comments make it clear its more about the healing. i agree with some other posts that even the "new" old school is contemporary, since i've never seen older dresses adorned with elk teeth or shells only photos of the velvet & beaded florals or the plain calicos with one - three rows is all i've seen from old pictures. (or maybe i'm limited in what i've seen) i appreciate the simplicity of the dresses but especially the beaded florals!!! I have noticed the new old skool trend and at the last four pow wows i've went to, it seemed there were more of the less flashy, new old skool dancers w/calico & shell/elk teeth cape or dress, to the point I did miss the vibrant colors, diversity & creativity. eveyone looked the same & almost danced the same. (not trying to judge only an observation) two categories would be good so both would get their due.

Comment

Yep, and everyone dances their own style at powwows. There is a beautiful blend of contemp and old style. I think its very pretty. The powwow culture is social - a really wonderful time to meet up with old friends and make new ones too. A time to visit and even compete with friends. Healthy competing is fun to participate in and also fun to watch, take pictures and vids. A very fun and sociable time for us all.

We, as Anishnabe people know and live the 'real' way of our Jingle Dress, and that is what is important. Our people and communities who need help can count on us for prayer and healings within our Mide ceremonies and feastings. Things are done properly from the time our women dream their dream. It makes me proud also, to know that some of our traditional beliefs are followed even at powwows. :)

Comment

to tired to bother with you
                    Last edited by Dancin'~Diva; 12-08-2008, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Hey got some of the material. I already have the cones...I collect them. Just have to get the burgundy material. I am picky on what I work with and havent found the burgundy shade I want. No elks teeth; even my auntie and a good friend of mine said I should put them on there; so I wont. I want to go to denver march this year; so I will get the dress done well before then. Got to balance the beading and sewing out though. I am beading for all of us in my lil' family. Gotta give respect to all my ojib sistas out there though.....you gals rock and I always love to hear the good advice and your stories on the dress: old style (healing ceremonial), contemp old style and contemp. Much Luv!
                      ~*~If you get mad, you just have to get glad again~*~ No sense in wasting your time with anger~*~

>!< KIMIMILA>!<

Comment

Originally posted by LakotaSiouxper View Post
                        I doint necessarily think we need to just stop everything and go back to calico prints and cotton dresses but I would like to see a lot of the dancers tone down a bit...My daughter Camille is a champion jingler and I dont want her being too over board.... she is still respectful of the style..... this is jingle not fancy shawl
                        Hey I agree....I always remind my daughter that and she loves to jingle and respects it.

>!< KIMIMILA>!<

Comment

I just want to say thank you to every one who took the time to express their thoughts and opinions about this subject. I love see'n how this style has grown and changed. It makes me proud to dance this style. I love the feeling I get when I put that outfit on. I think you all know that feelin there is nothing like it. Hands down we have the best style out there. I would love to dance with some of you some day. You Ladies always have such beautiful outfits no matter what style you dance. Keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by MrzDancerMom View Post
                            Hey got some of the material. I already have the cones...I collect them. Just have to get the burgundy material. I am picky on what I work with and havent found the burgundy shade I want. No elks teeth; even my auntie and a good friend of mine said I should put them on there; so I wont. I want to go to denver march this year; so I will get the dress done well before then. Got to balance the beading and sewing out though. I am beading for all of us in my lil' family. Gotta give respect to all my ojib sistas out there though.....you gals rock and I always love to hear the good advice and your stories on the dress: old style (healing ceremonial), contemp old style and contemp. Much Luv!

Your dress will be beautiful. :)

Have you ever tried that store in Pine Ridge? They sell Indian Time cones there for 17.00 per hundred all cut and rolled. At least that was the price a couple years ago. I'm sure if the price went up, it wouldn't be that much. But I thought that was a good price. (I can't remember the name of the store)

Comment

The dress is beautiful!
                              I think at the moment the dress I made for my daughter is abit on the "in between"..most because I can't do the fancy applique that ppl do. (help anyone)??? LOL
                              I do lots of ribbon work...wish I could do some beadwork on it too but by the time I'd finish it..she would have outgrown it. hahahha
                              "I tried being normal once, worse 2 mins of my life!"

Comment

In a few weeks I will be recieving a beautiful velvet and beaded jingle dress. I felt the same way as you, it is very different and I think it is beautiful and honors the tradition of the dance and where it came from.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.