Jingle and Fancy - One Dress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jingle and Fancy - One Dress?

I am going to post this in both the jingle and fancy shawl boards, so please excuse the repeat.

My daughter is three and has been dancing this year but I am thinking of making her a jingle dress because that is what I dance and she wants a dress like mine. However, she often says she wants to dance like a butterfly and use her fancy shawl. I had the idea of making her a rather simple dress that she could use for both. I would make the apron/cape style of jingle dress to go over it and then a yoke and shawl for fancy shawl. Has anyone ever seen anything like that before? Would it be acceptable since she is so little? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! I should also add in there that we don't do competition powwows at all.

You can do that. Have a plain and simple dress that can be worn with either outfit. The jingle dress can be made cobbler apron style and go over the dress and be open on the sides. Good style for growing kids.

Even if you do this, you'll have to impress upon your daughter that she will need to dance in the style that she is dressed in and can't change her mind every 5 minutes, lol!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• cherokeemom06
      Same dress for fancy and jingle?
      by cherokeemom06
      I am going to post this in both the jingle and fancy shawl boards, so please excuse the repeat.

My daughter is three and has been dancing this year but I am thinking of making her a jingle dress because that is what I dance and she wants a dress like mine. However, she often says she...
      09-30-2008, 03:52 PM
    • nativ_5_o
      unfit jingle dress
      by nativ_5_o
      my daughter cheyenne was jingle dancing for awhile, someone hurt her feelings really bad at a powwow and she never felt the same about dancing. An elder yanked her out of the arena and took her off to the side and told her that she and her family were disrespecting the dance and that her dress was...
      05-02-2003, 03:01 PM
    • turtleclaninc
      jingle dress
      by turtleclaninc
      Sekoh Orye
      Skennen Kowa
      Hello friend Great peace to you
      i was trying to find a jingle dancer to talk to about my grand-Daughter
      Please excuse me i am lost here on first day i guess ill start at the begining i am a northern traditional dancer my Daughters all grew up dancing...
      12-12-2005, 09:10 AM
    • Red Pride
      Jingle Dress Dancing Protocal and info.
      by Red Pride
      My daughter is 6 and a half years old. She has always taken an interest in pow-wows, and recently began dancing during every inter- tribal. Somebody had given her a Fancy Dance Shawl regalia, and she was very grateful. She wears it with pride and respect. Lately though, she has been dancing more of...
      05-22-2002, 08:22 PM
    • DESANIE
      Looking for jingle dress
      by DESANIE
      I'm looking for a jingle dress for my 9 yr old daugther, she is about a size 11/12.

I'm hoping to find one soon, so she could dance at a Pow-wow that's coming up. She outgrew the dresses she has now. Maybe someone out there has a dress that is not being used anymore, I'm willing to pay...
      09-02-2004, 04:25 PM

Trending

Collapse

• notly1988
      Old School womens costumes vs New Order style
      by notly1988
      I took a number of years away from the powwow circuit while building my life and career in the white world and upon return I have noticed to some discomfort the many changes in the dress of my tribe. For women gone are the traditional old school shawls (with intricately woven fringes and heavier fabric)...
      08-01-2018, 02:13 AM

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X