endurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• endurance

Hello, I am new to this website. I have studied the spiritual aspect and the historical meaning of the jingle dress dance with 2 of my most respected elders, both whom have been dancing this style for many years. This has been a long and difficult process. I feel that I am almost ready to come out into the circle . I have achieved a healing through song and dance. I had been mourning the loss of my first grandchild which was physically and emotionally painful. It was even harder to talk about it. My healing came from dance. Now I am ready to dance this style to aid in the healing of others. Eighteen months have now passed. I hope to have my coming out ceremony soon. My question is , what are good physical exercises for maintaining endurance and strength ?

I don't think you need ti hand over yiur cash to a personal trainer but certainly putting on some music and dancing every day will be a good idea ( a runner would run everyday). Healthy eating goes a long way too. My kids abd I dance everyday...the healthy eating is harder, but I try. I think this is good advice for all dancers
    Suzze

Comment

no personal trainer, one of he things i had been told to do for physical therapy after i broke my knee was to use legs weights to gain the strength back, i'd say walk daily with a 10lbs leg weights, or 5 if your not comfortable with the weight, and this includes where ever you go during you day, turst me the challeneges it presents is far outwieghed by the health benefits
      and i agree eat well, cooking you meals lets you control what goes into the food, and in turn into your body.
      sigpic

Comment

Walking and running I'd say.

I walk a good bit. Do some running, it seems to keep up my energy levels. It's difficult sometime when working all day and meetings after that until late, got to find that one hour to walk and/or run.
        "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

Comment

I jog a mile almost every other day. Do pilates/yoga and sometimes kickboxing and other things at the gym. I also teach pow wow dance at our community to the youth so I am always dancing every friday. But yes, it does help keep up energy and endurance levels.
          ~*~If you get mad, you just have to get glad again~*~ No sense in wasting your time with anger~*~

>!< KIMIMILA>!<

Comment

Originally posted by MrzDancerMom View Post
            I jog a mile almost every other day. Do pilates/yoga and sometimes kickboxing and other things at the gym. I also teach pow wow dance at our community to the youth so I am always dancing every friday. But yes, it does help keep up energy and endurance levels.
            OOOoooo, thats awesome!!

Comment

Cedar.

Endurance has a lot to do with age. If you're a grandma, chances are you can't compete with your teenage grandkids on the same endurance level.

Case in point is the powwows.com endurance contest held at Red Earth this year. It was open to all contestants in the adult division. Woggs (her powwows.com name) made it to the last final four contestants by dancing to 18 back-to-back songs with no breaks, each one getting faster.

Woggs was the last female contestant standing. She is a jingle dress dancer and danced to a series of men's contest fancy dance songs.

Ohhhh Wooooogggggggs?
              Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Yah I try to keep up my endurance. I can feel it if I get off track. It is rewarding to keep it up, espeically during the winter time...more energy and makes it easier to ease back in during the spring pow wows. But I think the laid-back-mode gets to all of us..Im not saying laziness though...cuz I know we aint lazy....just get laid-back. ;-) And winter can do that to us..being cold you want to stay cozy. So fight the erges and keep moving. When I can't make it out...I put on some songs and dance with my daughters. It is fun!
                ~*~If you get mad, you just have to get glad again~*~ No sense in wasting your time with anger~*~

>!< KIMIMILA>!<

Comment

Originally posted by MrzDancerMom View Post
                  Yah I try to keep up my endurance. I can feel it if I get off track. It is rewarding to keep it up, espeically during the winter time...more energy and makes it easier to ease back in during the spring pow wows. But I think the laid-back-mode gets to all of us..Im not saying laziness though...cuz I know we aint lazy....just get laid-back. ;-) And winter can do that to us..being cold you want to stay cozy. So fight the erges and keep moving. When I can't make it out...I put on some songs and dance with my daughters. It is fun!

Comment

Hey anyone going to any New Year's Eve/HOliday type pow wows soon? This will help keep the 'rustiness' off your knees and calves. ;-) My family and I are attending the New Year's Eve Red Road Pow wow (sobriety celebrated there) on December 31 thru January 1st. I am excited..cuz I missed Indio. Oh and I have some sewing to do - a dress has been coming to me at night...you know those 'fitfull dreams'..lol..jk. But it is a pretty one. It is one of calico white with light bluish teal flowering (dainty/tiny), top 'cape' area is burgundy and I seen elk's teeth on it and the ribbon work goes from yellow, orange, red and teal. It is long sleeved. Around the hips is the 'graphic mountain/step pattern and regular row of jingles (no zig-zaging or scalloping. The very bottom is burgundy with the graphic butterflies I have been using and in the center front and back is the tipi. This has been going on for almost a week and so I drew it out on paper and looked at material. I know this co-incided wiht another thread...but I had to share.

>!< KIMIMILA>!<

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X