Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• durable satins????

Hi all,
    I was just wondering, when it comes to making a good, durable dress in satins, that will hold the weight of jingles, what do you prefer? Ive been looking at regular bridal satin as a strong material, but, dont know much about Jacqaurd satin ('cept its pretty), or crepe back satin. Im slowly starting to gather up my materials for a dress, cause I have a looooong time before I'll be dancing - and am doing some research first.
    I have some things I need to do before I can start constructing my dress, but was told it sounds like I can start collecting my materials now. So, Imma lookin into what kind of satin is the best. Any info????
    Thanks!
    Walk softly, leave nothing but footprints....

I was told windsor satin was almost as strong as bridal satin. I would say if you line it with interfacing and stitch through both instead of just the satin, you'd be fine with anything stronger than like costume satin. I'm gonna start on my next one soon. You going contemporary or traditional? I want my next one to be a more traditional. You know, the old time calico print with the collar and apron type? For goodness sake though, make sure you put an underskirt on it!!! I still gotta make one for mine and my goodness it's annoying to sit in that thing without it!

Comment

Oh yeah, you guys gonna be at Lancaster? Sounds like the whole bunch of us will be there!

Comment

I'll be going more traditional, I'll leave the contemporary for my shawl dancing. And thanks for the advice on the underskirt. I dont see myself sitting much in a Jingle anywho. Im still not sure if we'll be at Lancaster or not. Our van is broke down, and has been in and out of the garage since pow wow season ended this past year, and the reverse is out on the Mustang. Sooooooo, not sure what we're doing. Right now our focus is on dance class next weekend, so, we'll see. But, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Comment

Yuck sounds like our vehicles. We finally got the van fixed, got the brakes fixed on the truck and then a headgasket blew on the truck....so yay more money.

Comment

well bridal satin is the most durable and tightly woven of satin or sateen fabrics and the ones made of acetate are heavier and wrinkle less. I don't think you need to go this route though if you chose a less durable satin (and I think the crepe back you mentioned is fine) you could line with a cheap broadcloth which always gives a heavier weight as a lining and will be durable; added bonus is that it is easier to work with as a lining (no sliding). The big impact on durability aside from material will be the quality of sewing. chose the right thread AND needle for the material and stitching. also put your jingles on real solid and stitch the bias tape down top and bottom, this will hold those heavy jingles better. I have a friend who uses light cotton (because of a skin problem) and with good sewing it holds up to the weight of her jingles.

Comment

Thanks SuzzeQ,
              especially for the reminder on the needles. Thats the one thing I always forget I need to change when working with different types of materials.
              Im a true believer in cheap broadcloth LOL. I picked some up today for my boyfriends grand-daughters regalia (fancy shawl) Im working on. Using it as a backing too.
              When you go to stitch down the bias tape to hold down the cones, is it easier to sew the top first, and then the bottom - or bottom first?
              Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Kamama View Post
                When you go to stitch down the bias tape to hold down the cones, is it easier to sew the top first, and then the bottom - or bottom first?
                Thanks!
                your welcome.

I sew the top down first (on all the rows) then switch to a zipper foot and sew all the bottoms.

also a note on the needles, yes change them depending on the material, but also the stitching, for example if you are doing applique or ribbon work, there are needles for that too.
                Last edited by SuzzeQ4; 01-03-2009, 01:01 AM.

Comment

I have not had problems with the bridal satin or the dull-finish satin. The lighter weight stuff might get fuzzy over time due to abrasion from the edges of the jingles. For this reason, I recommend not using costume, slipper or jacquard satin where it might be subject to wear. The jacquard fabric tends to have raised threads which can easily catch on stuff and look awful in a jiffy. Use it for applique and for sleeves and areas where no jingles are. The crepe-backed satin I use more for applique than for actual dress construction. I do use it a lot for fancy shawl items though.

When sewing on jingles, I sew down the top edge of the bias tape which will cover the tops of the jingle tabs. Then I insert each jingle tab under the tape as I sew down the lower edge of the covering tape. This holds for me just fine but you could put in another line of stitching under the tape to make the tabs more secure. I tend to use a narrow zigzag stitch which I find looks nicer than the straight stitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Czechy View Post
                    I have not had problems with the bridal satin or the dull-finish satin. The lighter weight stuff might get fuzzy over time due to abrasion from the edges of the jingles. For this reason, I recommend not using costume, slipper or jacquard satin where it might be subject to wear. The jacquard fabric tends to have raised threads which can easily catch on stuff and look awful in a jiffy. Use it for applique and for sleeves and areas where no jingles are. The crepe-backed satin I use more for applique than for actual dress construction. I do use it a lot for fancy shawl items though.

When sewing on jingles, I sew down the top edge of the bias tape which will cover the tops of the jingle tabs. Then I insert each jingle tab under the tape as I sew down the lower edge of the covering tape. This holds for me just fine but you could put in another line of stitching under the tape to make the tabs more secure. I tend to use a narrow zigzag stitch which I find looks nicer than the straight stitch.
                    Thank you SO much. I dont know alot about GOOD satins, especially when it comes to making Jingle outfits. I've used costume satin for Fancy shawl before, and, it doesnt last long, not really.
                    Bridal satin I've never really used, but did pick up more yards then I would need of white (for screw ups), but am having trouble finding the other color that I need. (apricot)
                    I will probably be ordering my tins and roller either on my next paycheck, or the one after that, and then trying to find the right color bias tape and tabs.
                    For the tabs, whats best to use for that? Is the satin face ribbon good?
                    And we're still trying to plan our trip (hopefully) for next month to go talk to some peoples and see what my next step is.
                    One step at a time.
                    Thanks again!

Comment

oops double post

Comment

Originally posted by Kamama View Post
                        Thank you SO much. I dont know alot about GOOD satins, especially when it comes to making Jingle outfits. I've used costume satin for Fancy shawl before, and, it doesnt last long, not really.
                        Bridal satin I've never really used, but did pick up more yards then I would need of white (for screw ups), but am having trouble finding the other color that I need. (apricot)
                        I will probably be ordering my tins and roller either on my next paycheck, or the one after that, and then trying to find the right color bias tape and tabs.
                        For the tabs, whats best to use for that? Is the satin face ribbon good?
                        And we're still trying to plan our trip (hopefully) for next month to go talk to some peoples and see what my next step is.
                        One step at a time.
                        Thanks again!
                        Hey girl, use bias tape for your tabs too! I've never used ribbon but heard it frays really quick and the bias tape hold us. Just use single fold bias tape the same color as your lines and knot it inside your jingle. Mine aren't even sewn shut I don't think. It holds up great. As far as the bridal satin goes, they have a few colors at Hancock Fabric and at Joanne's but not a huge selection. The stuff they call Windsor Satin is really good too. I made a ribbon shirt out of it and it's holding up great. So you're going for white and apricot for you dress? Sounds pretty! Can't wait to see you guys. How's Danny's shoulder doing?

Comment

Originally posted by cherokeemom06 View Post
                          Hey girl, use bias tape for your tabs too! I've never used ribbon but heard it frays really quick and the bias tape hold us.
                          Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by cherokeemom06 View Post
                            Hey girl, use bias tape for your tabs too! I've never used ribbon but heard it frays really quick and the bias tape hold us. Just use single fold bias tape the same color as your lines and knot it inside your jingle. Mine aren't even sewn shut I don't think. It holds up great. As far as the bridal satin goes, they have a few colors at Hancock Fabric and at Joanne's but not a huge selection. The stuff they call Windsor Satin is really good too. I made a ribbon shirt out of it and it's holding up great. So you're going for white and apricot for you dress? Sounds pretty! Can't wait to see you guys. How's Danny's shoulder doing?
                            Thanks for the tip for the tabs. And yea, white and apricot. Not really colors that I would have picked for myself, but, colors that I guess picked me LOL. You know how it goes. Sometimes you dont get to choose.
                            Anyways, yea, Danny's shoulder is coming along good. He started his physical therapy last week. He goes twice a week for I think 8 weeks, and then they will re-evaluate everything.
                            I'm not sure, but, we may make it to Lancaster after all, its still up in the air, but, Danny was saying IF we go, we might just rent a car. But, its still not confirmed yet.
                            He got contracted the other day to MC a pow wow in King, North Carolina for August, so, Im looking forward to that one. Ive never pow wowed in N.C. before, so, it'll be a new experience for me. We're REALLY hoping to make it back to Minnesota sometime this summer to visit with a couple of friends up there that live near Mille Lacs. As long as I can get some extra time off work. We've got a lot of traveling we really need to do, and arent sure if we're going to be able to squeeze it all in or not, but, 1st things 1st. I HAVE to go to NC to take care of some things, as I was instructed to do so. So.... hopefully we'll see you in Lancaster. Is Amy going to be there? It'll be good to see her too.

Comment

Yep, Amy's coming and so is her mom. We're trying to get her jingle stuff figured out for this year. We have to talk to Ross though (you know how that goes! LOL) and see what powwows they are gonna be at so we can decide where to do her coming out. She wants Red Circle to play hers but the first one I know for sure they will be at isn't until like July and she wants to get her special out of the way so she can jingle most of this season. She is dying to get out there in her jingle dress! I'm doing her beadwork soon and she's almost done with her dress. Sounds like our whole crew is gonna be there. I can't wait to see everyone. I should have Wyatt's grass dance outfit done by then. Hope you guys are able to make it! Knights Inn has the best hotel rate. Something like $45 a night plus tax for dancers.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X