Hawk feathers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk feathers

I have been wearing a red tail hawk feather with my jingle dress that my uncle found and gifted me. I was told this weekend that jingle dancers wear only eagle feathers. I was never taught this so I was just curious if this is a detail that I wasn't taught or if I was misinformed. I was also told that I could wear my hawk but I had to also wear eagle. Anybody?

I don't want to offend anyone and certainly don't want to disrespect my responsibilities as a jingle dancer. Wado for your help!

I wouldn't worry too much... there are still people runnin around tellin everyone that you need 365 cones... one for every day of the year!! You look at old photos and women didn't even wear feathers at one time, eagle or any other type. Things change and things evolve... I saw that you wear the feather down anyways so keep on jinglin away!!
    I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

Comment

Did you talk to someone first before you started Jingle dancing? If so, didn't they tell you all that you would need to wear and have and carry with your dress and outfit?

I don't know who you talked to about this. But I took a friend of mine's daughter to a woman that I know and she sat and told her all that she would need to have to start dancing. I am not Ojib/Chippewa so I really can't say. But I do have alot of friends of those nations and I go to them and ask. Since it is their dance to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by soopashinaab View Post
        I wouldn't worry too much... there are still people runnin around tellin everyone that you need 365 cones... one for every day of the year!! You look at old photos and women didn't even wear feathers at one time, eagle or any other type. Things change and things evolve... I saw that you wear the feather down anyways so keep on jinglin away!!
        Thanks soop...so is it acceptable to pick up a hawk feather?

Comment

Let me guess...this pow wow was not in Ojib country huh? LOL
          I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

Originally posted by timmy tiger View Post
            Did you talk to someone first before you started Jingle dancing? If so, didn't they tell you all that you would need to wear and have and carry with your dress and outfit?

I don't know who you talked to about this. But I took a friend of mine's daughter to a woman that I know and she sat and told her all that she would need to have to start dancing. I am not Ojib/Chippewa so I really can't say. But I do have alot of friends of those nations and I go to them and ask. Since it is their dance to begin with.
            Timmy, I spoke with several people, including elders. I did almost a year of planning and the things I need to complete before I started dancing. I don't claim to know everything and I just thought I would get some other opinions on this. I was never told what type of feathers to wear, only that it was acceptable to wear feathers. I was taught by one of my elders who I approached after this happened and she told me that it was bullsh*t and that I could wear either. The veteran who told me I should only wear eagle is not Ojib. He is Blackfoot. I respect him in all regards but I do not know any Ojib women who dance jingle. I guess I'm just second guessing everything as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Wojapi4Me View Post
              Let me guess...this pow wow was not in Ojib country huh? LOL
              No it wasn't. As much as I would love to live there, I am stuck in KY. This was in Ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by cherokeemom06 View Post
                Timmy, I spoke with several people, including elders. I did almost a year of planning and the things I need to complete before I started dancing. I don't claim to know everything and I just thought I would get some other opinions on this. I was never told what type of feathers to wear, only that it was acceptable to wear feathers. I was taught by one of my elders who I approached after this happened and she told me that it was bullsh*t and that I could wear either. The veteran who told me I should only wear eagle is not Ojib. He is Blackfoot. I respect him in all regards but I do not know any Ojib women who dance jingle. I guess I'm just second guessing everything as usual.
                Oh okay, well that pretty much answered what I was asking. So in other words, you didn't talk to anyone of that nation and wnet and made the dress and started dancing?

So then you don't know the history? Traditions? Protocal? Or much else about the dress and the dance? Is that pretty much it there?

I'm not trying to be mean here. Honestly I am asking in a very calm manner and just making sure that I have the facts pretty much right.

There are certain protocal's involved with wearing that dress and doing the dance in Ojib Country and many of them are very serious about things being handled right and in the right way.

As, I said, I am not Ojib, but do know a number of people who are and I honor and respect them highly. They have shared much with me about this matter. And they take it very serious as well.

Being "stuck" anywhere really isn't accurate either. I know of many Ojib people who travel all over the US and not just for pow wow's either.

Comment

No it wasn't. As much as I would love to live there, I am stuck in KY. This was in Ohio.
                  I wasn't coming down on you...hope you didn't think that... :)

I was only making a joke about the area...when I saw your location as Kentucky, I figured you attended some jackaloon dance in that general area...Ohio will do...LOL...as people around that area make up stuff as they go and have developed a very complex and detailed set of bullcrap rules that they try to put on everybody for everything.

A buddy of mine's wife was told by some jackalope last August that she was signaling her death because the ends of one of her braids was showing from beneath her beaded hairtie. WOW!

I don't know where these idiots get this crap from, but I wouldn't put any stock into any of it.
                  I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

I was only making a joke about the area...when I saw your location as Kentucky, I figured you attended some jackaloon dance in that general area...Ohio will do...LOL...as people around that area make up stuff as they go and have developed a very complex and detailed set of bullcrap rules that they try to put on everybody for everything.

A buddy of mine's wife was told by some jackalope last August that she was signaling her death because the ends of one of her braids was showing from beneath her beaded hairtie. WOW!

I don't know where these idiots get this crap from, but I wouldn't put any stock into any of it.
                    Holy Crap, I've never heard that one before.LOL I've heard my share of doosey's, but that's a new one on me.LOL

Comment

Good words Wojapi4me!! @ jackaloon and jackalope Did you know if you dance backwards on a tuesday wearing your braids in you shirt... you get younger!!
                      I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

Comment

Actually Timmy, I talked to Ojibwaysweetie on here and Czechy helped me quite a bit as well. I did speak to them about the protocols. I didn't not just make the dress and start dancing. I fasted and prayed and feasted but I was told not to discuss things of a spiritual nature here so I will not go into those things. I know the history of the dress. I did my research, my studying and put more effort into bringing that dress into the circle the correct way than I have anything in my life. I spoke with my elders before I brought it out and received their blessing. But anyway, I did everything I was told and taught to do. Like I said, it took me a year. My grandmother came to me in a dream the day after she died and told me to dance jingle for her. I havent' looked back.

Comment

Oh, sorry. Guess I was a bit defensive. Didn't mean to be!! It wasn't much of a jackaloon dance, was actually pretty good but you're right. I had one guy tell me I couldn't wear purple because it was navajo colors and I wasn't navajo. Then another told me I dress wasn't "proper" because it has more than one color.

Comment

Actually Timmy, I talked to Ojibwaysweetie on here and Czechy helped me quite a bit as well. I did speak to them about the protocols. I didn't not just make the dress and start dancing. I fasted and prayed and feasted but I was told not to discuss things of a spiritual nature here so I will not go into those things. I know the history of the dress. I did my research, my studying and put more effort into bringing that dress into the circle the correct way than I have anything in my life. I spoke with my elders before I brought it out and received their blessing. But anyway, I did everything I was told and taught to do. Like I said, it took me a year. My grandmother came to me in a dream the day after she died and told me to dance jingle for her. I havent' looked back.
                            She'd be the one that I would have talked to on here if I were gonna dance that dance.

No, my reason for asking those questions is because I've met some people that don't know what they are doing.

A young women wanted to Jingle dance. I suggested that she talk to this one person that I knew who was there and of that nation. She went up to them as they were having a conversation with someone else and said "I want to Jingle Dress Dance by next year." That person said "Okay" and went on with their conversation. Less then a year later, she went out bought the dress at a pow wow, put it on and started dancing. One of the people there who needed some things had gone up to ALL the Jingle Dress Dancers and gave them a gift and asked them to dance. She threw the gift on the ground and said "I don't have to". Then she went around telling people that the person that she told that she wanted to do the dance gave her permission to do it.

So this is why I asked you those questons, not to be mean or be in your business. That's between you and the person you talked to, really.

Comment

Actually me and one of my friends both brought our dresses out within a few months of each so we were both able to help each other too. Anyways, Timmy if I came off defensive or mean, I didn't mean too. I just didn't want you thinking I was a know at all type that bought a dress and decided in an hour to be a jingle dancer.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.