jingle dress dancing and pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jingle dress dancing and pregnancy

I have a friend who is pregnant and "showing" She competed at a local powwow this weekend. Another woman told her that she should not be dancing jingle while pregnant. This was said to her in a harsh tone. My friend asked me for my opinion. I did not know what to say, so I am asking for advice here in this forum.

Originally posted by cedar rose View Post
    I have a friend who is pregnant and "showing" She competed at a local powwow this weekend. Another woman told her that she should not be dancing jingle while pregnant. This was said to her in a harsh tone. My friend asked me for my opinion. I did not know what to say, so I am asking for advice here in this forum.
    I know that at the back of our minds something tells us that dancing while pregnant in the sacred circle is not supposed to be done as well as carrying an infant into the circle and dancing with them in our arms. It is taught to us growing up that these things were not done. If someone is a well seasoned dancer and before becoming a jingle dress dancer we must research the dress and the dance tradition that goes with it so as to do the correct job that is meant to be done by the dress....which is healing.
    In many circles a lot of these traditions are not being obeyed and the mc is supposed to know these traditions and his or her job is to inform the spectators and dancers of why we are all here in the sacred circle and to remind us that we must keep the traditions the way they were.
    Now is this a traditional gathering or a competition pow wow? I find that there is a no holes barred rule to contemporary gatherings and anything goes.
    I believe that the harshness was from knowing that the innocent babies health was that is at risk.

Comment

It depends on your Nation. Some teach not to dance in the circle with your baby in your belly or in your arms cause you'll give the baby back to the creator. Some teach to dance with baby in your belly and arms so that your cild is in the circle from the begining. The thing that bothers me is those individuals who assume that their Nations teachings are what we all follow. Panindianism at work. Your friend should do to things. Go to her Elders, Grandmother, Aunty or Mom and learn what her Nations teachings are. If she comes from a dancing with baby Nation then she next needs to be aware of the teaching at the powwow she is at. Talk to the committee. Is their teaching the same as hers? If not do they want her following her tradition or theirs at their powwow. Knowing her own peoples teaching has to be step one. If she can tell people "this is my peoples teaching as taught to me by so and so and I'm from such and such Nation" people will respect that. If ya don't know, people won't.

Comment

But at the same time, what if the gathering is sponsored by a tribe that holds the teaching of not dancing while pregnant or not carrying a child into the circle? If one is told that is "not to be done" shouldn't you follow that custom so as not to offend your hosts?

I was at a gathering a couple of years ago when my youngest was a baby. I was standing on the sidelines in between songs, and was thinking about carrying her in with me on the next song. The MC right at that point mentioned how different tribes have different teachings about the circle, but that their custom was to not carry children into the arena. Needless to say I listened.

At other gatherings sponsored by committees comprised of people from various tribes you don't hear such things and you see folks carrying in their babies and no fuss about it.

Of course, you're baby's health is important, too. If you find that your tribe doesn't prohibit women who are pregnant from entering the circle you should just double-check with your doctor and make sure they're okay with it. Usually if it's an activity you've been used to doing pre-pregnancy it's not a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
          It depends on your Nation. Some teach not to dance in the circle with your baby in your belly or in your arms cause you'll give the baby back to the creator. Some teach to dance with baby in your belly and arms so that your cild is in the circle from the begining. The thing that bothers me is those individuals who assume that their Nations teachings are what we all follow. Panindianism at work. Your friend should do to things. Go to her Elders, Grandmother, Aunty or Mom and learn what her Nations teachings are. If she comes from a dancing with baby Nation then she next needs to be aware of the teaching at the powwow she is at. Talk to the committee. Is their teaching the same as hers? If not do they want her following her tradition or theirs at their powwow. Knowing her own peoples teaching has to be step one. If she can tell people "this is my peoples teaching as taught to me by so and so and I'm from such and such Nation" people will respect that. If ya don't know, people won't.
          She is obviously from a nation that teaches that we do not dance with an infant or dance while pregnant. If she is a JINGLE DRESS dancer maybe she should also respect its teachings as well. As far as i know the JINGLE DRESS originates in the Lake of the Woods area. Maybe a suggestion, to respect the dress' teachings too. Or stick to your nations regalia wear.

Another thing; No matter what nation you are from around the world. A woman carrying a unborn child is jeopardizing the life of the unborn child by bouncing and jumping or doing strenuous work. It is just common sense that it is a time to take it easy on your pregnant body. The umbilical cord may become wrapped around the fetus' neck making it very dangerous for the child or even having fatal results in the end. Now had this become fatal, people would see this as bad medicine, therefor leaving a bad memory for that community to bare. As a mother and grand mother who is a old style traditional jingle dancer for many years i'd have to say that i really hope people will respect the jingle dress and its teachings before attempting to dance in one.
          Last edited by dawnish2467; 04-18-2009, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dawnish2467 View Post
            She is obviously from a nation that teaches that we do not dance with an infant or dance while pregnant. If she is a JINGLE DRESS dancer maybe she should also respect its teachings as well. As far as i know the JINGLE DRESS originates in the Lake of the Woods area. Maybe a suggestion, to respect the dress' teachings too. Or stick to your nations regalia wear.

Another thing; No matter what nation you are from around the world. A woman carrying a unborn child is jeopardizing the life of the unborn child by bouncing and jumping or doing strenuous work. It is just common sense that it is a time to take it easy on your pregnant body. The umbilical cord may become wrapped around the fetus' neck making it very dangerous for the child or even having fatal results in the end. Now had this become fatal, people would see this as bad medicine, therefor leaving a bad memory for that community to bare. As a mother and grand mother who is a old style traditional jingle dancer for many years i'd have to say that i really hope people will respect the jingle dress and its teachings before attempting to dance in one.
            Well we don't have alot of info here. We don't know what Nation this new Mother is from or if she was dancing in her area. I have a number of Anishnawbe friends from various regions and one thing I know is that those further East have different teachings on the issue of dancing pregnant then those further west. So this is why I reccomend to her friend to go get her teachings, to check the teachings of the area she dances in with that committee. I should have added to check with the Woman who gave her permission to dance jingle, cause that should be from an Anishnawbe Woman. As far as rhe rubish about harming the baby I am telling you; as a childbirth educator and doula (professionally trained, licensed) and I BTW I worked through a ontario midwifery office (they are university trained like doctors up here) it is rubish, you cannot physically harm the baby dancing., or jogging, or mommy arobics etc. So I will also suggest she confirms this with her doctor. Also to the new Mom, keep in mind we do not all have the same teachings (as I'm sure she knows) and most of us are respectful of this, and hold this close as the pan-NDN attitude has done enough damage already.

Comment

okay i agree with the woman. she probably has kids and knows best. Especially if she is older than u. she is most probably thinking of the baby. there is many problems that can happen if she dances. she could fall on her stomach if she loses balance and so on. I would never dance jingle if i was pregnant. She should talk to her doctor.

Comment

i know this is way off topic but, DID SHE PLACE?

Comment

she placed first in Jingle and she suffered a miscarriage the following week, It was very sad.

Comment

Last edited by mami612; 12-20-2009, 06:10 PM.
                    -- Mami --}<@

Comment

she placed first in Jingle and she suffered a miscarriage the following week, It was very sad.
                      dang...

Comment

Originally posted by dawnish2467 View Post

I agree .... better to be safe than sorry. Just my opinion though.
                        Walk softly on Mother Earth

Comment

That is a sad story. I dance cloth and kept dancing while I was pregnant until it became uncomfortable on my belly. So probably until I was 4-5 mos along. Mainly cuz my skirt is a wraparound and we have to tie it up supertight, not good for a growing belly, lol. I know how difficult it is to sit out on the dancing though. I can understand wanting to get out there anyways.
                          We will be known forever by the tracks we leave..Dakota leader.

Comment

hmmmm from a spiritual point of view its a no no, carrying your child in the ring is saying you cannot take care of your child and are willing to give them up...and the scientific's of it are miscarriages, ive seen "professional" dancers dance when they are with-child almost all the time, but then again there bodies are conditioned to such things, like a runner or jogger is conditioned to run or jog and are able to do so throughout her pregnancy...but i know us ojibwe's do not carry children, or when we are with-child, due to (see first sentence), so when you are in our country or region expect to follow that, if you don't you will be pointed out and either taken aside and told, or the mc's will say it over the loud speaker...and if I'm in your region I will still follow our own ways but respect what your ways are and not push what I've been taught upon anyone, unless i know they're ojibwe lol
                            There can only be 2 moccasins on your feet at one time...however life has given me many pair...along with a needle, thread and really sharp teeth to cut with...lmao

http://www.myspace.com/anty_tweeb

Comment

Very unfortunate. I don't understand why its even a question, if you knew what the sad ending already was???

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X