• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jingle Dance Ghetto-Style?

Evidentally, this jingle-dancer decided to improvise a bit:

YouTube - Ghetto Pow Wow 2

Words fail me.
    I'm not responsible for my actions, I just do what the voices tell me to do.

Her dress should be taken away. The jingle dress is a medicine dress and should be treated with honor and respect. Not something u can go prancing around in any old way you like! grrrr how upsetting!!!

Comment

wow....thats not somethin ya see everyday...hopefully never again.

Comment

There's a time and place for crap like this, the circle ain't the place and a powwow ain't the time. Our young ones today are so immersed in other cultures they don't understand that once not that long ago Native people were not allowed to gather and dance. We were jailed or killed. No laws against stringing Indians up by the neck.
        This stuff, the perversion of a once beautiful and honored thing makes me sick inside. Wanna do splits and show off your stuff like the ghetto clowns? Fine, go to the bar. This is not cute, it ain't funny or sexy, just very trashy. Native women are beautiful without having to degrade themselves for the amusement of others.
        Our people did not fight and die just to survive in order for this debasement of the blessed circle to continue. It needs to be stamped out now.
        Last edited by billthepill469; 06-15-2009, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by billthepill469 View Post
          There's a time and place for crap like this, the circle ain't the place and a powwow ain't the time. Our young ones today are so immersed in other cultures they don't understand that once not that long ago Native people were not allowed to gather and dance. We were jailed or killed. No laws against stringing Indians up by the neck.
          This stuff, the perversion of a once beautiful and honored thing makes me sick inside. Wanna do splits and show off your stuff like the ghetto clowns? Fine, go to the bar. This is not cute, it ain't funny or sexy, just very trashy. Native women are beautiful without having to degrade themselves for the amusement of others.
          Our people did not fight and die just to survive in order for this debasement of the blessed circle to continue. It needs to be stamped out now.

Agreed !!!

Comment

Evidentally, the dancer in the Lime-Green regalia, decided to show his "affection" for her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erJx-...eature=related

I've seen a lot of things; but I've never seen Bump-And-Grind style Jingle Dancing before.
            Last edited by Bodica; 06-17-2009, 04:47 AM.
            I'm not responsible for my actions, I just do what the voices tell me to do.

Comment

Ok this post has come up time and time again. The dancer has apologized for it.

This is NOT a ghetto jingle dance, it just happened to be a girl dancing in her jingle dress. I've been to a powwow where something like this took place. In between judgining, they held a contest for dancers only and they didn't say what they were going to do. One of my friends was in a jingle dress and she wanted to participate but she was a bit wary (after seeing this video). It turned out to be the same thing, the Native dancers had to dance to some pop song. (She didn't want to do it in her jingle dress so she sat down.) The next contest they had some spectators dance their best to Native music and had the audience choose who they thought was the best dancer. The winner got a small prize.

It was all in good fun and there was no one booty poppin or rump shaking and we don't have to worry about a rise in rump shaking jingle dancing. It was an isolated incident by a girl who is sorry for what she has done and has learned her lesson 100 times over.
              Cariblanguage.org

Comment

I'm a little late getting here (that life thing kickin in lol) but yep the dancer has been judged, thoroughly shamed, royally embarrassed, and dragged through the mud due to this video being "released" to the public several years ago. She apologized.

Soooooo let this be a lesson to you. If you do something wrong, don't let em catch you on camera!!!! j/k
                SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.