Feather or Plume?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feather or Plume?

Before I ask my question, I just want to say that it is great to be a part of a Native American forum! Well, my name is Sarah, and I've recently started dancing in the contemporary-style jingle dress category. I've gone to many powwows prior to my decision of becoming a jingle dress dancer, and I've noticed that some of the dancers in this category wear a plume while others have one eagle feather in their hair. I was told this is because those who wear a plume haven't earned a real eagle feather yet. Regardless, here's what I am inquiring about: I have a real eagle feather that was given to me by a medicine man of my tribe. Can I wear this when I dance? Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

P.S: I am a member of a federally recognized tribe, so being in possession of a real eagle feather is not illegal for me.
    Last edited by sarah_09irish; 03-04-2010, 08:09 PM. Reason: necessary additional information

Originally posted by sarah_09irish View Post
    I was told this is because those who wear a plume haven't earned a real eagle feather yet.

P.S: I am a member of a federally recognized tribe, so being in possession of a real eagle feather is not illegal for me.
    If the plume is from an eagle it is... "a real eagle feather".

Also, tecknically your eagle feather is "legal" only if your medicine man got his feather from the eagle repository, or if it's older than your granpa give or take some years (don't remeber the exact year and too lazy to look it up). And you better have some way to contact him should fish and game look sideways at you if your irish is showin. Otherwise you are rockin an "illegal" feather. Enrolled with a federally recognized tribe or not. Probibly will never become an issue, but if you look as irish as your screen name you will be more succeptable to looking like you are violatin than other skins.

Other than that, as far as what to wear to dance with ask your medicine man what he intended you to do with your feather. Ask someone in your tribe, or the classic answer... ask your family or your elders.
    ScarryWolf

Comment

From nation to nation the answer could vary

I have never heard that women who wear plumes haven't earned the right to wear a real eagle feather. If you think about it whether it's a plume or straight feather it came from an eagle and the cultural significance is still there. That sort of statement does come across a little offensive. Especially since many go through certain cultural protocols and traditions earn that name. Like for myself I put on a feed for my community, did a give away, and was formally introduced into the circle with my name. I think that whether or not I wore a plume or straight feather that name would still be mine. I know that amongst my nation having and Indian name means that wearing a plume or straight eagle feather is something that you have a right to do. Also for my people the difference of plume or straight eagle feather is gender based too. But then I think of my Grandma Deanna and what she has told me about pow wows twenty-thirty years ago women generally did not wear plumes in the dance arena and those plumes were strictly worn for spiritual ceremonies. I was at a pow wow where this man, who was a traditional dancer, had a straight feather drop off his regalia and I saw it happen. I told him about it and the man picked it up said a prayer and then handed it to me with some tobacco. When I talked to my elders about it they said that the feather was not meant for me but that I would find some male later on to pass that feather on to. You would be best to talk to a female elder in your community or in your family or even the man who gave it to you.
      Last edited by Zintkala Towa Win; 03-05-2010, 12:40 AM.

Comment

some questions for sarah

Morning Sarah,
        I want to respond to your questions about the regalia etiquette concerning the Eagle feather, but to do so, first, I need some information from you. Who are your people? What is your medicine man's name? Under what condition(s) did you receive the Eagle feather? Email me ([email protected])

Comment

Feather or plume

Your own nation will tell what is correct for you. Other nations have their own ways, traditions, and ceremonies. You are not encouraged to do what other tribes and nations do with their own tribal members. This type of borrowing is what is really confusing and misguiding our young people today. You believe in what your own elders tell you and that is part of your spirit.

Comment

Sarah, go to your elders

Originally posted by pelcher View Post
            Morning Sarah,
            I want to respond to your questions about the regalia etiquette concerning the Eagle feather, but to do so, first, I need some information from you. Who are your people? What is your medicine man's name? Under what condition(s) did you receive the Eagle feather? Email me ([email protected])
            Sara, before you give out any information to anyone that you may not know either on here or on any other internet places, I suggest you to go to your people, your elder, they know what you should do, and for what reason the feather was given to you. No one else can tell you why...

I have been on here for many years...well not under this name, but been on this site for ten years totally, and I for sure would not give out any information to someone that just joined this site, and only have one post..the one to you.
            I am not saying this to offend anyone, but we can't be enough careful out here on the net, you don't know who it is on the other end unless, you have been on for a long time and their reputation is good.

Comment

Originally posted by pelcher View Post
              Morning Sarah,
              You sound like an agent of the government.
              Wanjica Infinity No One

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.