Is there anyone else...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anyone else...

who does NOT contest dance?? hihi! I am a jingle dress dancer, who dances primarily for healing purposes, and considers herself to be very traditional. I personally believe the dress to be very powerful, and to contain an unmeasureable amount of healing power. I occasionally will attend a powwow, but I always refrain from contest dancing, and I have noticed that usually I am the only jingle dress dancer who does not contest dance. However, I do dance in a local play that runs during early to mid-spring (so if you have heard or seen me, this is probably why) I have been taught to follow "older traditions" and when I was initiated into the realm of jingle dress dancing, I took several vows, one of them being that I would never contest dance, for the sole sake of respect and true purpose of the dress. On the contrary, i give my support to those who contest dance, and I dont really take offence to contest dancers..to clear up contradiction, I believe the vows I took are my own vows, and I have no right to push them on other people. I was just curious as to if there were any other people out there who also do not contest dance for personal beliefs...(or maybe im just a wierdo...lol)

Nah, you're not alone, but the ones that I do know that don't compete, don't really travel all over, mostly local pow-wows.

Comment

I use to, but dont know more. Even though I get itchy feet when I see my other ojib jingle sisters out there really givin the best they got. I especially like the traditional jingle category. Who knows maybe I'll give it a whirl again, even just one more time for ole times sake :D
      "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

Comment

ur not weird

i do dance competition,but i wear a different dress when i compete b/c i believe that if you dance for someone for healing & then you contest in it it doesnt have the same meaning.so i wear a different dress when i compete than when i dance for some one.
        who lives in a pineapple under the sea? man i wish it was me!

Comment

yay i know what cha mean...its liek in my closet i got plain simple jingle dresses for liek healing and smaller powwows...but the bigger powwows thats where i usually use the fancier jingle dresses....i even got each one for 4 seasons so i'll be comfortable all the time instead of raosting...but now i dont dance just putting it off for while...too much to get adjusted too adn too much stuff to get done and al that jazz...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X