Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two piece dresses

Hi everyone!

I was just going through some old threads today about jingle dress patterns...a one piece made from an extended men's ribbon shirt pattern with under skirt attached....and checked out the Little Crow Trading Post site....their site showed a jingle dress that was a two piece with the dress and a skirt that went over the dress. What is the best way of making that type of dress? Would it be possible to adapt the Missouri River pattern to make the skirt and dress or does anybody have other ideas?

well, Let me ask you this, Is the style you are looking for more of just a T shaped dress?..is it something you could draw and post here?..the reason I ask this is because if you know the basic shape of the dress or if you are looking for a simple straight skirt with a straight t style tunic top, then maybe you could find something in the patterns this week....in my area this week Hobby Lobby has McCall's patterns on sale for 99 cents each, limit 10, but if you can't find what you want there, if you take a copy of the Hobby Lobby advertisement showing that with you to WalMart, they will price match and let you have McCall's patterns from their store, for 99 cents each , for up to a limit of 10 selections...you can google McCalls patterns online and maybe find a pattern that is the style you are looking for....
    I will be a good girl , I will be a good girl, I will be a good girl......awe hell, we know this ain't gonna happen....

"Daddy would have gotten us Uzis."

Subeeds Said:Want to borrow my .30/.30 or do you have your own weapon?

Pigheaded said: "How come noone ever wants to pull pork?"

Joe'sDad said:"Wait. I can do without sweet. Just make it black...like my heart!"

Comment

the dress with underskirt is nice variation. i prefer the cobbler style just because it easier to sit in all you have to do is lift the back flap. lol. also i think it is the easiest pattern to make. it is really just a flap with a hole for the head. the top ties at the side with ribbons or such. a shirt and underskirt are worn. you can have different skirts to go with the one top, i like that. sorry, i really did not give you much help. lol.
      A LABYRINTH OF FINGERS POINTING BLAME

Comment

Wyo would be good for this.
        I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Here I am!! I'm no authority on 'authentic' jingle dresses, and only got my start after studying my ex-niece's jingles dress back in the 80's...she's gone on to be a very well respected jingle dress dancer on the powwow circuit.

I've seen (and made) several types of two-piece dresses.

The cobbler-type mentioned above, which are usually worn over whole underdresses.

The 'extended shirt' type where the shirt is only slightly longer, usually covering the hip area and usually coming to a point, or rounded botton, and goes OVER the skirt. I guess you could make one with the skirt tucked in, but WHY....when you can have your first row of jingles (or more) on the long shirt and can flip it up without having to sit on them.

I've seen a longer dress with a skirt, coming just below the knee with a skirt with a couple rows of jingles - making it more than just an underskirt.

There's also a dress with a cape; and a dress with a vest; which are technically 2 (or 3) piece dresses...in fact, I think I once made a custom order which was a vest and skirt...and she still owes me $$$!!
          ...it is what it is...

Comment

OK, just went to the Little Crow Trading Post and saw the dress/skirt you're talking about.

I have seen these kind around. I'm sure it's made like that so the skirt can be pulled up when sitting, and still maintain modesty.
            ...it is what it is...

Comment

my niece has i think four styles. i have helped make a few many jingle dresses, but mostly i have made fancy shawl,as that is what the eldest dot dances as she has never had the medicine dream. i prefer the cobbler style still, although that name is rather new to me. lol. what colors are you gonna use? for me that is one of the funnest parts of making dresses and shirts and what not is picking out the fabrics.

Comment

No kidding! I'm collecting parts for several jingle outfits now... satin and sequin fabric along with other shiny stuff - beads and rhinestones.

My 'someday' project is making a 'Suzy Jingle Dress Dancer' quilt from all the scraps from jingle dresses I've made my daughters, and now my granddaughters.
                ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by Migiziwomen View Post
                  the dress with underskirt is nice variation. i prefer the cobbler style just because it easier to sit in all you have to do is lift the back flap. lol. also i think it is the easiest pattern to make. it is really just a flap with a hole for the head. the top ties at the side with ribbons or such. a shirt and underskirt are worn. you can have different skirts to go with the one top, i like that. sorry, i really did not give you much help. lol.
                  You weren't being serious now, were you? (If you were, I'm sorry.) I'm trying to get away from the typical "pattern" dress and move on to something different than what I began with. Besides, I don't think I have seen a cobbler apron style dress on an adult since the article came out in Whispering Wind in the 90's.

Comment

To make the Little Crow Trading Post kind of dress, it's just your basic long straight dress, with a short straight skirt. Doesn't look like it needs any kind of pattern at all...just measure, add a couple inches all the way around, and you're off and running.
                    ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
                      No kidding! I'm collecting parts for several jingle outfits now... satin and sequin fabric along with other shiny stuff - beads and rhinestones.

My 'someday' project is making a 'Suzy Jingle Dress Dancer' quilt from all the scraps from jingle dresses I've made my daughters, and now my granddaughters.

I'd like to see that. If you made the quilt to hang, you could put real jingles on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Migiziwomen View Post
                        my niece has i think four styles. i have helped make a few many jingle dresses, but mostly i have made fancy shawl,as that is what the eldest dot dances as she has never had the medicine dream. i prefer the cobbler style still, although that name is rather new to me. lol. what colors are you gonna use? for me that is one of the funnest parts of making dresses and shirts and what not is picking out the fabrics.
                        I am a sunburst color person...so I will most likely go with shades of red, orange, yellow, and other colors yet to be decided.
                        As for fabrics, I found a batik print I really liked at JoAnn Fabrics.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzizila View Post
                          I am a sunburst color person...so I will most likely go with shades of red, orange, yellow, and other colors yet to be decided.
                          As for fabrics, I found a batik print I really liked at JoAnn Fabrics.
                          oh i think that will be beautiful! it is so much fun planning an outfit
                          i expect some posted pics!

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
                            Here I am!! I'm no authority on 'authentic' jingle dresses, and only got my start after studying my ex-niece's jingles dress back in the 80's...she's gone on to be a very well respected jingle dress dancer on the powwow circuit.

I've seen (and made) several types of two-piece dresses.

The cobbler-type mentioned above, which are usually worn over whole underdresses.

The 'extended shirt' type where the shirt is only slightly longer, usually covering the hip area and usually coming to a point, or rounded botton, and goes OVER the skirt. I guess you could make one with the skirt tucked in, but WHY....when you can have your first row of jingles (or more) on the long shirt and can flip it up without having to sit on them.

I've seen a longer dress with a skirt, coming just below the knee with a skirt with a couple rows of jingles - making it more than just an underskirt.

There's also a dress with a cape; and a dress with a vest; which are technically 2 (or 3) piece dresses...in fact, I think I once made a custom order which was a vest and skirt...and she still owes me $$$!!
                            Thanks for sharing what have seen and your ideas of what I could do.

I've got a question about the vest. When you made the vest, did you make it a little bit larger than the size of the dress? Somebody suggested that I might want to do that.

Comment

Yes, and it was short, so the jingles had room to 'hang'.
                              ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.