ceremonies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceremonies

A lot of people have told me to have some sort of ceremony and a giveaway before I start to dance Traditional Old Style Jingle Dress... So what kind of ceremonies am I looking at? What do you do during them? How is it preformed? And what exactly is a giveaway? Why do you have one? What do you giveaway? How do you do it?

ok.....i c/p the answer i gave you on your other thread......read it again please ok.....if not your family find your local native community....hang out.....LEARN......make friends before ever expressing you would like to dance....then learn the history of the dance....if it was meant to be the community will help you.......if not then they wont

its ok to be brought into powwow by people outside of their family.....i was brought into southern straight by john emhoolah who is of a different tribe

but make sure you go through the proper channels....have the initiation ceremony preferably at a smaller powwow of your own community....and for crissakes have a giveaway

but IF time and money permit, look for a powwow in ojibwe territory....watch and LEARN and look for a cultural center to visit....what does that have to do with jingle dress dancing? absolutely NOTHING....but at least familiarize yourself with your people and your traditions before you decide to step in the arena with a jingle dress

the answer STARTS with talking to either your grandpa or the elders of your local community

take tobacco.....or maybe a can of coffee and container of creamer and container of sugar as a GIFT

they will steer you right.....until you do this everyones answers to you will be the exact same......SEE YOUR ELDERS!!!
    "I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR

Comment

Originally posted by squirrelness View Post
      A lot of people have told me to have some sort of ceremony and a giveaway before I start to dance Traditional Old Style Jingle Dress... So what kind of ceremonies am I looking at? What do you do during them? How is it preformed? And what exactly is a giveaway? Why do you have one? What do you giveaway? How do you do it?
      When you go to Powwows, even the small powwows, you must pay attention to the announcers or Elders explaining about some of the traditional ceremonies that are performed for us to received their rewards or gifts. I am deaf but I always ask my family member or a stranger, even friends to help me understand what is going on with announcers and Elders. Most Elders will explain about the history for ceremonies like Giveaway. I love Giveaways as they provided gifts for many of traditional dancers and some of us like me going in straight line to receive the gifts. Sometimes there will be apples or candies or fruits given to many people in the audience watching the powwows whether they are being thrown down to the crowds or handed them by going around the arena.

As for Jingle dress, you have to make one in order to wear the traditional dress not false dress or you can ask someone who knows how to make traditional Jingle dress. There is a history for Jingle dance. It started a long time ago when there was a young girl who was not well, I think. I may be wrong but she can dance without getting tired easily. Jingle dance is very popular and same with Buckskin dress dance and Shawl dance. Mostly are all women who wear them to dance for that. Some of them are in traditional dancer in traditional powwows and others want to compete for prizes in competition to be the best dancers and so were the drummers.

All those ceremonies are explained and reasons why we used them in most powwows. There might also be brochure or magazine that will give you to look through while you are watching the powwows. These in the articles will explain to you about those ceremonies.

If you are hearing, then you need to pay attention to announcers and Elders. Some of them may be speaking in their Native language or be able to speak English for there are non-natives who don't understand Native language. You may be able to get by that.
      Gegiibishedjig (Deaf Person)

Comment

Originally posted by DeafElderWoman View Post
        When you go to Powwows, even the small powwows, you must pay attention to the announcers or Elders explaining about some of the traditional ceremonies that are performed for us to received their rewards or gifts. I am deaf but I always ask my family member or a stranger, even friends to help me understand what is going on with announcers and Elders. Most Elders will explain about the history for ceremonies like Giveaway. I love Giveaways as they provided gifts for many of traditional dancers and some of us like me going in straight line to receive the gifts. Sometimes there will be apples or candies or fruits given to many people in the audience watching the powwows whether they are being thrown down to the crowds or handed them by going around the arena.

As for Jingle dress, you have to make one in order to wear the traditional dress not false dress or you can ask someone who knows how to make traditional Jingle dress. There is a history for Jingle dance. It started a long time ago when there was a young girl who was not well, I think. I may be wrong but she can dance without getting tired easily. Jingle dance is very popular and same with Buckskin dress dance and Shawl dance. Mostly are all women who wear them to dance for that. Some of them are in traditional dancer in traditional powwows and others want to compete for prizes in competition to be the best dancers and so were the drummers.

All those ceremonies are explained and reasons why we used them in most powwows. There might also be brochure or magazine that will give you to look through while you are watching the powwows. These in the articles will explain to you about those ceremonies.

If you are hearing, then you need to pay attention to announcers and Elders. Some of them may be speaking in their Native language or be able to speak English for there are non-natives who don't understand Native language. You may be able to get by that.
        Thank you for that :) So, you have to get things for every single person at the powwow? Or just certain people? And does everyone get everything? Or do they only get certain things?

Comment

Originally posted by milehighsalute View Post
          ok.....i c/p the answer i gave you on your other thread......read it again please ok.....if not your family find your local native community....hang out.....LEARN......make friends before ever expressing you would like to dance....then learn the history of the dance....if it was meant to be the community will help you.......if not then they wont

its ok to be brought into powwow by people outside of their family.....i was brought into southern straight by john emhoolah who is of a different tribe

but make sure you go through the proper channels....have the initiation ceremony preferably at a smaller powwow of your own community....and for crissakes have a giveaway

but IF time and money permit, look for a powwow in ojibwe territory....watch and LEARN and look for a cultural center to visit....what does that have to do with jingle dress dancing? absolutely NOTHING....but at least familiarize yourself with your people and your traditions before you decide to step in the arena with a jingle dress

the answer STARTS with talking to either your grandpa or the elders of your local community

take tobacco.....or maybe a can of coffee and container of creamer and container of sugar as a GIFT

they will steer you right.....until you do this everyones answers to you will be the exact same......SEE YOUR ELDERS!!!

Yes, Thank you for that. My internet wasn't letting me get to my threads? :/ But I see it now! Yes! I feel that's what I need to do as well. Talk to the Elders, I mean. :D Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrelness View Post
            Thank you for that :) So, you have to get things for every single person at the powwow? Or just certain people? And does everyone get everything? Or do they only get certain things?
            get something for those who helped you along the way, especially your sponsor.....get a case of pop and tobacco for each drum....maybe get a goodie bag of cheapies for the lil kids in regalia (candy, cheap toys ect ect)
            "I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X