Old Style Jingle - Headband or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Style Jingle - Headband or not?

I'm new to old style jingle. Been dancing Southern Cloth for years.
    Making my new dress and set for jingle now and I'm wondering do any old style jingle dress dancers wear a headband? I have a velvet set and wondering can I wear a beaded headband or would that look stupid?

Originally posted by FLhawk11 View Post
    I'm new to old style jingle. Been dancing Southern Cloth for years.
    Making my new dress and set for jingle now and I'm wondering do any old style jingle dress dancers wear a headband? I have a velvet set and wondering can I wear a beaded headband or would that look stupid?
    I don't know about old style jingle. It does not matter if the jingle dress were old or new. Some jingle dancers do wear their headband with single feather. Other jingle dancers just wear their barrette with single feather. So I think you can choose whatever you want to wear on your hair. Oh, you can make braids (you have to find someone to do the braids for you) with the headband or without it.

Beside the tradition of wearing the jingle dress for jingle dance is for some girl who had been sick or not well. But no matter if you are sick or healthy, you can still dance the jingle dance.

Other jingle dancer will chime in about that. I had watched them performed their jingle dance at traditional and competition powwows.

Good luck with your new jingle dress.
    Gegiibishedjig (Deaf Person)

Comment

Thank you so much. I appreciate your help.

Comment

Here is one example of an old style jingle dress dancer wearing a headband.
        Attached Files
        Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.