Do u lend your dresses out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do u lend your dresses out?

I started a similiar thread in the Fancy Shawl Forum. One of my cuz's has gotten her outfits literally taken from her by her own relations and by just doing someone a favor. Years ago I sold her a complete outfit , dress legins and moc's. One of her friendz was at a pw and her mom left her outfit at home. My cuz had an extra outfit with her and lent it to her. After the pw was over she went to retreive it and that gurl booked it outa there. I've seen another gurl wearing it the next year at the same pw. I told my cuz about it and she told me the gurl never returned it. My cuz has yet to see it. I have to know someone really well to lend out any of my dresses.Has anything like this happen to you?:Yell

Hell no I dont lend my babies out.
    I dont want to get my stuff back stretched out, seams torn, pieces missing, beadwork loose. . .
    Hell no they want to dance that bad they can go ask someone else or get there own outfits.
    "Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

Comment

Originally posted by peekaboo
      Hell no I dont lend my babies out.
      I dont want to get my stuff back stretched out, seams torn, pieces missing, beadwork loose. . .
      Hell no they want to dance that bad they can go ask someone else or get there own outfits.
      I would have to second you on this one. It is your medicine in the dress, and I would feel funny havin someone else wear the regalia that was made for me, with both mine and the makers energy in it.

Comment

Nope not anymore I was brought up to not lend your stuff out but there was a time I used to and I got scolded by just about everyone in my family, my man plus members of his family! I never felt comfortable lending my stuff out anyways but I'm one who finds it hard to say "No" but if anyone asks again my answer is "No" and if they really want a dress I'll make them one but it's gonna cost em. I only trust my family now but am glad I didn't have to learn the hard way (stuff gettin stolen, ppl throwin bad medicine, or my stuff gettin damaged) My sister borrows my beadwork and stuff and I know I'll get it back in good shape.

Comment

Witchy, I hear ya on that one girl.

My homie-girl went through the same thing. She too has (in the past) had a hard time to say no. Especially when she has brought 3-4 outfits to the powwow, and her only way out is a straight up 'No'. Sometimes she knows someone is going to ask to borrow an outfit, so she'll just leave all her stuff @ her hotel room until the next session. Now though, since being burnt a few times...she doesn't shy away from saying "Hellllll No!" LOL *jokes*

For myself, I will lend a few odd things out. Not to just any random person though.

I find it wonderful for people who show their apprecation for being allowed to use my stuff. It doesn't necessarily have to be $, but that's always a bonus. LOL. It sure does feel great to be offered a wee big extra cash if they end up placing in their contest.

Comment

Originally posted by Oji_Flava
            I find it wonderful for people who show their apprecation for being allowed to use my stuff. It doesn't necessarily have to be $, but that's always a bonus. LOL. It sure does feel great to be offered a wee big extra cash if they end up placing in their contest.
            Yeah one of my friends borrowed a dress and slipped me some cash when she returned it I thought that was nice it was kind of unexpected out of the blue but nice. Then another borrowed a dress and won in it and I didn't get nothin(but I didn't expect anything till I've heard from some on the trail if you borrow someone's outfit and win then you give them a lil somethin) I dunno I just quit lending my stuff out so I won't catch hell from my family and finally I can say "Hell No!" LOL

Comment

I must be a door mat

Anytime I've lent my dresses out they've been lent out to dear friendz. Not just anybody. Many of my dresses no longer fit me. I beleave a dress should be worn rather than collect dust in my closet. The cones they are making these dayz are to cheap to recycle.Jinglegenie wears one of my old dresses that never fit me rite to begin with. It looks so much better on her than it ever did on me. I don't lend my things out to those that don't dance jingle to begin with. I'm not personally going to ask my best friend if I could wear her southern buckskin. It's just not rite.:Yell I don't even lend my dresses for switch dances. I'm just being a curious George.:Angel:

Comment

Straight up good points there WallFlower.

Has anyone ever been asked right outta the blue to borrow something, when they don't even know who they really are? LOL!

Comment

Damn...when am I gonna get outta my 'junior dancer' stage in pws.com!? I thought after 200 posts, I'd get abit of a change. LOL But then again, 200 aint all that compared to some peeps.

Comment

I think u get them after 250. I'm still waiting to get my pw committee status and I'm at 700 already.:Angel:

Comment

Seeing that I will be new to the pow wow trail this coming summer, I am going to make it a rule not to lend my outfit out. A lot of love, energy, thought, respect, and not to mention money, goes into putting together dresses, beadwork, etc. Why allow the possibility of someone, doesn't matter who it is, to disrespect something that precious?

Comment

Hey this sounds all too familiar.....I always use to lend out my dresses to my friends who really wanted to start dancing, so I thought being a good friend and all that I would lend them my whole outfit beadwork plumes and fan....everything....until one of them ...she started wearing my dress out in the rain ..running in the puddles with my beaded mocs...my favourite ones too!! When she returned them there was a big rip in the bottom of my moccs ...and my dress was ripped on the sleeves...!!! I was like Augh!!!!.
                        So I just stopped bringing my extra dresses and stuff to powwows where she showed up....and all together just started telling them no they cant borrow my stuff anymore. I learnt the hard way. ...but when i stop wearing a dress for a long time ..I just give them away to grls i think deserve them and who will respect them like I did.;)

Comment

IN THE RAIN

Oh mi god ,that is so wrong. I'm surprized you weren't tempted to giver the beat down.

Comment

Never to strangers and only to my family, if then.

Comment

Originally posted by Oji_Flava

Has anyone ever been asked right outta the blue to borrow something, when they don't even know who they really are? LOL!
                              YES! Back in June my friend was braiding my hair when one of her cuz's comes up to and asks if she can borrow my outfit and some hanging plumes! I looked at my friend like "who the hell is this chickie?" She then told me it was her cuzzin from ND. I just straight up told her "NO!" Geez it was only my 3rd time wearing it!

I don't bout the rest of you ladies but I would never just go up to someone I've never seen or talked to b4 and ask them to use thier stuff!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X