jingle dress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jingle dress

:37: Hey jinglers, what are your favourite pow wows to attend as jingle dress dancers (songs, specials, etc.)? I want to start planning for next summer........:Jumping:

Hey...my favorite is in Michigan and it is Western Michigan University. i think it is the best. last year it wasn't contest but it usually is.... I think it is the first week in April. that is my fav!

-Kelli
    If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

Comment

Come on people! Reply!

-Kelli:Yell :Mad
      If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

Comment

:D I really enjoy dancing at the pow-wows up in Canada, although I haven't competed since I got out of the teen category. I do plan on returning to the pow-wow circuit eventually. Just stocking up on supplies right now and getting ready kick it out again.
        :Wave

Comment

I think that some of the best pow-wows for jingle dress dancers are in Minnesota. Hinckley, Red Lake, Cass Lake Labor Day, White Earth Tradish is always packed with jingle, White Fish Bay back in the old contest pow-wow days was the best, Roseau pow-wow is fun sometimes, alot of the pow-wows in Manitoba are really fun for jingle. Some of the tradish pow-wows in these areas have over 100 jingle dress dancers at them which is awesome to see. Some of the North Dakota (and everywhere else) pow-wows are fun for Jingle as long as they don't get too caught up in long specials.

JingleBelle:p

Comment

you've been to the roseau powowow, jinglebelle? that's my rez!
            Last edited by prettydark; 01-02-2002, 10:03 AM.
            Ozhaawashko-giizhigag
            Proud of my adopted and blood heritages! Anishinabe, Cree, Dene, Metis
            Jingler

Comment

lets get real...today jingle dress dancer just use as little jingle on there dress. this is suppose to be a dance style not a fashion show.. the real dancer have more than two or three lines of jingles..they don't fly around like fancy dancer.. they have style and grace...we need to get back to the right style..this is not a show....

Comment

Originally posted by Niimii
                Hey I was there this year, kinda small, but it was good. Liked competing in the all around special. I plan to go back this coming summer!
                well i'll see you there this year, then! and maybe we can dance together in the all around some day!
                Ozhaawashko-giizhigag
                Proud of my adopted and blood heritages! Anishinabe, Cree, Dene, Metis
                Jingler

Comment

hay...well the univ. of mich . powwow is good
                  but too crowded
                  nativechick: if you find out the exact date of the wmich
                  powwow lemme know okay?
                  i never danced at any in canada yet....actually
                  in all my life even when i was shawl dancer never danced in canada
                  ...the findlay,ohio powwow is really good..
                  any one been to any of the ohio powwows?

Comment

youre right about the jingle dresses today...
                    it should be a requirement to have at least
                    5 layers of jingles...i think some women use
                    less because of the weight..
                    i really dont have a fave style...its whats behind the jingle dress that matters
                    my jingle dress is made from my own 2 hands and from my own style
                    .....has anyone made a beaded (fully)vest before?
                    if so what kind of material did you use and how many hanks of beads?
                    im looking to make an xl size...

Comment

Have never heard of this before, but saw it documented at the new year's eve pow wow that jingle dresses usually have 7 rows of jingles, one for each of the teachings.

thought that was interesting. I've seen some with more and some with less.

has anyone ever sewn jingles onto their leggings?
                      I am who I am. No more, no less.

Comment

i've heard of jingles even sewin on moccassins..
                        personally i would stick with small cones (the kind to used when making like
                        beaded earrings)...wouldnt the jingles sewn on either moccasins or
                        leggings make it difficult to dance? just a thought..
                        you know i might try sewing it on my leggings and see how it comes out
                        .. :D

Comment

Our powwow.Haliwa Saponi, Mehherrin, Virginia, Guliford Native American Association, Buckhead, Lumbee Spring Powwow, Clinton, Fayettville.
                          Proud to Be an American Indian

Haliwa Saponi Indian Tribe#1

Comment

I agree with Sneek a Peek, the Jingle dance style has gotten really like fancy shawl more and more over the years. ALOT of dancers don't have that many jingle cones on either. My daughter and I always wear at least 300, that's the least. I always heard that you're supposed to have 365 no matter how many row it takes to get them on there. I haven't ever seen cones on leggings though and personally I would never wear them like that. ???? Seen all kinds of stuff all over though so nothing much surprises me anymore. I do like to see things kept as traditional as possible. No sense in changing things that were never meant to be changed.
                            Don't bring a JV player into my Varsity Game...

Comment

Hi y'all.
                              I know I haven't been aroound for a while, busy with college stuff. :p
                              I have jingles with little cones on the front of my leggings where it zips up. I just made the fringes short enough (2") where they won't interfere with the dress. looks cool and adds to the effect of the dress.;)

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X