ebay dresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ebay dresses

I look at ebay alot just to see whats on there...but what do you think about used jingle dresses being sold on auctions? Or just regalia in general? It seems weird to see a set of beadwork being pieced out or an outfit being sold in seperate pieces.

It always makes me wonder who wore the outfit or who did the beadwork...was it someones family? did they make it themselves or did they have to buy it? But since jingle dresses hold alot of medicine it just seems odd to me to sell them like that....what are your thoughts?

i agree with you. i wouldn't even consider buying a dress off of ebay! lol. it just wouldn't feel right. and besides, i love making all of my own stuff!:D
    Truth is like the sun, you can shut it out for a time, but it ain't going away.

Comment

I saw the dresses on ebay too.. they were nice. there are some people who don't have time to make thier own dresses and my sister makes dresses for people. Lots of people have full time jobs and kids to care for and not everyone is a decent seemstress. Although I always make my own dresses and my son's grass outfits, I don't know how to make a roach, so I bought one. It's fine to buy your regalia as long as it's ndn made and you do the propler blessings and preparations to bring it into the arena. If I do acquire traditional type stuff, I'll usually trade for it.
      just my thoughts
      >^..^< ~SpookyNative~ >^..^<

Comment

I understand what your saying about not having time etc....I myself have 4 kids and a full time job..I have paid to have people make outfits for my kids...I was just commenting on the dresses and beadwork etc. that have been made for someone else and then for whatever reason are being pieced out on ebay or whatever...I just felt that since jingle dresses hold alot of power and the dancers that wear them put alot of themselves into them when they dance and pray for others that it was just odd to see them being sold like that.........just my opinion

Comment

OOOH durr I get what you're saying now.. I agree.. I think when a set is made, it should remain together.. you're absolutely right.. on further thought.. it would be a good idea to know where and who your dress came from if you do decide to buy one... and on to another topic.. any of you girlies know where I can find flourescent fabric and flourescent ribbon. I've seen it at a lot of pow wows and it' looks pretty cool. Can you recommend any good sites on the web where you can order cool regalia fabrics?
          Lemme Know!!
          thanks!!
          >^..^< ~SpookyNative~ >^..^<

Comment

This is one place where I have found raelly good deals on fabric, especially since we live rural and trips to the city for fabric are far between. This company specializes in costume, dance and ice skating fabrics, so they have lots of colros that are hard to find in stores.

http://www.dollarfabric.com/Merchant...ory_Code=6502c

That is the page link for the sequin dot fabric, and it comes in 50 colors, including neons.

or www.dollarfabric.com for the homepage

Happy Sewing!

Comment

ebay

Originally posted by nativ_5_o
              I look at ebay alot just to see whats on there...but what do you think about used jingle dresses being sold on auctions? Or just regalia in general? It seems weird to see a set of beadwork being pieced out or an outfit being sold in seperate pieces.

It always makes me wonder who wore the outfit or who did the beadwork...was it someones family? did they make it themselves or did they have to buy it? But since jingle dresses hold alot of medicine it just seems odd to me to sell them like that....what are your thoughts?
              As I have traveled across to different areas. Since I like to second hand i stop and look at different pawn shops. Sometimes I see complete outfits in these shops. Sometimes I know that things are not always what they seem. It could be for various different reasons that that dress or outfit is there.
              I heard of a few stolen outfits that have been sold. I wouldn't buy anything unless I knew where it came from. It wouldn't be so cool it you showed up in a stolen outfit and was confronted about how you ended up with it.
              Another thing seems like wannabes are trying to sell their wares that way. Makes me wonder.
              I think that a person should take in to consideration how much this outfit will mean to them and buy accordingly. If it is just something that you are going to wear just a few times then be done with it then cheap might be the way to go. If this is something that is important to you than maybe you should go by word of mouth. There are many dressmakers out there ranging from simple dresses to intricate dresses. If this dress is important, it should fit and seem appropriate for the dancer, not someone's else. There are more ways to get a dress than just money. You could trade. ;~}
              Last edited by charliemom; 05-01-2006, 07:44 PM. Reason: nothing was written
              The trouble with life is there's no background music!!!

Comment

I guess its the same as the drunks back home selling their family "heirloms" at pawn shops. If you walk into a pawn shop back home you can find TONS of interesting stuff....just one pawn shop could fill up e-bay!

Comment

Charliemom...
                  lol....I read your comment after I posted mine....I see that you know what I'm talking about. Yeah, I've seen people actually buy them too.....interesting!

Comment

I have seen the stuff on ebay and I have to say that I have had listed dresses on there. Not used ones but news ones that I have made and for what ever reason the person decided they didnt want. I could never sell anything that was part of my outfit or my sons outfit though. that stuff is way to important to me

Comment

I go into ebay every now and then just to look around. I had my jingle dress regalia stolen when I was stationed in Korea. Sometimes I hope I will see it so I can claim what is rightfully mine. Just my thoughts.................

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X