crow hop poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crow hop poll

Ok....the daughter and I are having a debate about jingle dancers dancing the crow hop.
    What are your thoughts, feelings and/or comments on it???
    I think it should be left to the fancy shawl dancers.
    60.47%
    I see it done all the time, no problem with it as far as I'm concerned.
    27.33%
    I see it done, but I wouldn't dance it.
    8.14%
    Crow hop??????? What's a crow hop?????
    4.07%
    "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

I crow hop as a jingle dress dancer...but my style is very similar to double beat. I won't tell you when i "double beat" b-cuz if i do ppl would take my style and lay claim to it. This way came to me in a dream so it has alot of meaning for me....so if you have seen it and u know what i'm talking about and you start to see someone else do it plz know that it originated here....thanx
    Last edited by o_styo_jngl; 02-07-2002, 12:28 PM.
    .o0~CLAY~0o.

Comment

The way I've seen it done and the way I do it myself is to use a step that is similar to what the traditional dancers use but with a little more hop to it. No fancy moves.

Comment

As a dance style, i think most if not all dancers should be able to crow hop. I know it may not always be used in competition, but it's good to be a well rounded dancer, knowing & learning as many styles as you can! I LOVE CROW HOP! Any style of dance, every category has thier own personal flair, not to mention the style of each dancer.

~Crow hop on.......Buckskinz :)
        *BE EASY*

Comment

I enjoy the crow hop. I also believe not many can or know how to do it well.

imho :)

Comment

nop. no crow hop

please, jingle doing the crow hop. thats not there style. they have strate songs and side step. but no crow hop. people should not change the way that it supose to be because they like crow hop, if you like crow hop go and dance the women fance dance and leave the jingle the way it supose to be.:Angry

Comment

:) Hey ya'll! Being a Crow Style dancer, I think that it would be great if everyone could do the "double beat" Crow hop. I have lots of friends who are practicing right now and they are more than happy to learn for their own knowledge. I know lots of us Crows dance different styles too, so why shouldn't you learn to dance the "double beat", even if it's just to learn. :)

Comment

I'm from Saskatchewan and my whole life out there I never knew that a Jingle could dance crow hop.We were always taught that it was only for Fancy dancers ,maybe grass.Like the Sneak up is for traditional men. But i have moved away from sask and now living in Nova Scotia. I went to a powwow in Ontario the one on Manitoulin Island and out there they had crow hop for all dance categories.That was the first time i seen that,it looked really fun cause everyone else was doing it so I decided to give it a try.
                But I still don't know wether its exceptable or not Some people do it and some people don't.
                [The story behind the crow hop, in my tribe, is that the crow is out looking for some food (worms) in the ground and they bounce or hit the ground and make the worms think it its raining out,so the worm comes out.]
                Theres a story and reason for everything in the powwow circuit.So in conclusion..lol..this jingler is up for trying new things, I still find its really weird to see Jingle do this dance.I guess you gotta make sure you do it right, if you wanna dance it.There some dancers that make it look good and some make it look funny.So I don't know.
                Still wondering on wether or not its exceptable.
                I think I should just phone my kokom....lol

Comment

See mom, i told ya' :Tongue ;)
                  This is life, and I'm lovin it!

Comment

I have very mixed feelings about jingle dancers doing the crow hop. I grew up a fancy shawl dancer and just recently started jingle dress dancing. Personally, I find out from the MC when the crow hop is going to be done and I change from my jingle to my fancy shawl regalia because I feel it is some-what inappropreate and the actual jingle dress takes away the whole meaning of the crow hop. But otherwise, if you feel comfortable dancing the crow hop in a jingle dress regailia, go right ahead.

*Ceapha
                    How u gonna act like my shawl dont bling? How u gonna act like my fringe dont swing?

Comment

The crowhop is not a traditional song for the Jingle dress. But I've seen it done many times and I actually like it. I mean......its a test of the dancers ability aint it? Isnt that what contest pow wows are all about? Let em' dance the crow hop.:D

Comment

as for myself, i don't mind dancing crow hop. when they have it after grand entry (after a sneak-up) i usually dance with everone. i went to some pow-wows where they had crow hops songs for grand entry. everyone was dancing and so was i.:D

Comment

Well, guess I'll go ahead and show my age here but I wasn't raised with the Crow Hop being a dance that jinglers took part in. AND..... I danced fancy shawl growing up so I remember that the girls in jingle never danced with us. Now on the other hand, as we all know things evolve over time and you see things that are so different than they used to be, dance styles, outfits so I just think that people should do what they're comfortable with. I personally don't crow hop with my jingle dress.
                          Don't bring a JV player into my Varsity Game...

Comment

I dance Jingle but when the crowhop is called.I don't dance it.
                            This is life, and I'm lovin it!

Comment

The Crow Hop?????

I had seen a grand entry done to a crow hop.......

This was done at the Champions of Chapions Powwow at 6-Nations a year or so back........

All seemed to enjoy this and all seemed to dance......(a few walked????)))))

Cheers......

Mike
                              Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X