X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ndnmba
    replied
    http://www.millelacsojibwe.org/cultureColumn.asp?id=115

This is one of the stories that I have heard all of my life. I have never heard of any color not being appropriate for jingle dress dancers but I do know that some are made in specific colors for traditional purposes.

Leave a comment:

• ABENEWA KWE
    replied
    my first dress was red!

Leave a comment:

• *Kwe_Zee*
    replied
    I seen it Shan! Looks badazz!

Leave a comment:

• ~*~ShanLyn~*~
    replied
    I just got a new dress and its red and i love it! :D

Leave a comment:

• hidatsawmn26
    Guest replied
    well with that...my jingle dress is a dark red (maroon like color)dont let ppl put ya down cuz the color of yar jingle dress ya know? i mean whatever color ya were given is the color yar given i mean its been given to ya so ya cant change it that would be disrespectful and thats a color ya should be proud of b/c some ppl wait a while before they can get their colors in... mine i got in long time ago well long time ago for me..many nations have different ways of believing in things that may go against another nations belief...i just think before someone acts out they should think of that first..like im a firm believer that their are certain colors of shawls one shouldnt wear (black,white....)black is used at funerals and white is given during birth...but see with me i think before i react when i see shawl dancers wearing black shawls or white shawls..so in all what i said be proud of yar color given to ya okay?-becca

Leave a comment:

• oneidagurl
    replied
    Thanks All!!!! Now I can look forward to making my niece a new red and pink dress with this really pretty material i found. Depending on how lazy i am.... she could be wearing it at the start of summer or by the end of the summer LOL.... Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• eagleclan22
    replied
    I got a red dress :) Red is a very nice color.. I never heard that before that you couldnt make your dress red...Red is a protection color.

Leave a comment:

• biidabinukwe06
    replied
    if that's what you want girl, go right on and do it!!

Leave a comment:

• ojibwaysweetie
    replied
    Make your red dress, girl. Red is a beautiful colour;)

Leave a comment:

• oneidagurl
    started a topic red jingle dress

red jingle dress

I'm curious, I've heard from someone that jingle dresses are not supposed to be red. Unfortunately, it was not explained why. I don't have too many Ojibwe friends to ask... so i was just wondering...cuz I've seen a lot of red dresses at pow wows all the time and I really wanna make one for my niece.

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.