Fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fans?

What kind of fan do most of you dance with? Around here I see mostly eagle tail flat fans. Just wondering if that is what everyone uses.

I'm using a goose wing, but would eventually like to make a flat fan.

Comment

I have a wing fan
      This is life, and I'm lovin it!

Comment

i am using a pheasent feather
        If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

Comment

I use a wing fan, of Eagle "spike" feathers:)

Comment

fans

:) I'm using a flat fan with red-tail hawk feathers, but I'm working on a flat fan with cooper hawk feathers.

Comment

I saw someone once use a drop fan made of macaw tail feathers. Is that appropriate to use? Or should you use eagle or hawk?

Comment

I have a flat fan, a wing fan and one thats kind of both. That last one is made like a flat fan but has wing spike feathers. I'd love to have an eagle tail fan but can't legally own one so I make my fans from Canada goose, white turkey or Spanish turkey feathers instead.

As for a jingle dancer carrying a drop fan, I've never seen anyone do it. Jingle dancing is a Northern style so a Southern drop fan would look out of place.

Comment

macaw feathers

I saw someone with a drop fan of macaw feathers...I bet it was the same person. Personally, and it's just my opinion, it did look kind of odd.

Comment

OH, I should also mention, her regalia was very beautiful...but it wasn't the norm either (I'm not saying it's wrong, I've just never seen any like it). I think I have a picture of her, if I can find it I'll post it.

Comment

:Thinking What's a drop fan? :Thinking

Never heard of the term. I may have seen them and just didn't know what they were called.

Comment

A drop fan is kind of like a loose fan. The feathers just flop out in all directions unless you hold them together.

Comment

I have a handpainted eagle feather fan and a small red tail hawk fan.
                          Don't ever stop dancing

Comment

i have a flat fan with black tips.;)

Comment

I thought those drop fans were used in the Native American Church - didn't know they were used at powwows.
                              Don't bring a JV player into my Varsity Game...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.