• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vicki
    Tiny Tot Dancer
    • Oct 2000

How long will it take?

We're gonna be starting our new dresses this month and I was just wondering how long it will take to sew up a dress thats not gonna have any applique on it? Its gonna be plain. We're gonna have short sleeve jackets over the dress thats already have designs on it.
    V.W
  • luvlumbee
    Junior Dancer
    • Jan 2002

It only takes me about two weeks to start and finish my dresses that I make. I guess it depends on how many cones and what kind of pattern you are going to have. I think it also depends on how you put it together. I know several different ways that people make thiers.
    Life is more than what we see...

Comment

• FancyStar
      What Will Be Will Be
      • Oct 2000

It took me and Tooter one weekend. We got together and cut out two dresses. One had applique and that took about a weel and the other was plain and that took Toots a weekend. She did all the sewing I just helped cut the dresses out and offer design ideas.
      :Fish
      Before you attempt to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you!

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?

Comment

• Vicki
        Tiny Tot Dancer
        • Oct 2000

Thanks!

Hey thanks for the info guyz! or let me say galz! :D I figured it take anywhere from a week to 2 weeks. This will be the first time my sis and I will be doing most of the work on our dresses on our own and thank God we have the cones already rolled. We are 1/2 way through stringing them up. I'm gonna finish that up this week. I'm planning on working on my dress all day every day til its finished. I'm also gonna ask my grandmother, who has always been a sewer, to guide me through it, since its been 5 yrs since I ever started learning how to sew, but my sister already knows how to. She has alot more patience than me, but I am determined to do most of this on my own, so in the future I can make my own dresses. But again, thanks for all the info. :)
        V.W

Comment

• Vicki
          Tiny Tot Dancer
          • Oct 2000

Ok...just talked to my grandmother. She said she could probably guide me through, but also I have a cousin coming down in 2 weeks that she said could definitely help make the dresses cause she's been sewing all her life also. And my mom has a friend who also sews and had offered to finish sewing up 2 other dresses of ours 2 yrs ago. So, I'm gonna ask her tomorrow if we can go over there this week and cut the pattern out. She may even offer to help us sew the dresses.....I hope! :)
          V.W

Comment

• shwk0961
            Pow Wow Visitor
            • Feb 2002

cutting cones

Originally posted by Niimii
            It took me 5 days to do my first one and 2 weeks to do my second one, both are very detailed with designs. I already had the jingles ready though too, I suppose it would have taken longer if I had to cut and roll them. Probably take you about 2 weeks too, good luck with that and I hope everything matches up and works perfectly! :)
            Speaking of cutting the cones, I was just wondering...how do I go about doing that? I'm saving cones (I didn't want to buy them since someone I know dips anyway) for my first jingle dress and I have no idea how to cut them. Probably a dumb question...

Comment

• Vicki
              Tiny Tot Dancer
              • Oct 2000

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm going over to a friend of my moms house tomorrow and she is gonna help my sister and I cut the patterns out for the dresses.

Shwk....I can't answer your question , but I'm sure someone else on here can. Good luck. :) I been getting my cones already rolled for the past yr. now.
              V.W

Comment

• o_styo_jngl
                Junior Dancer
                • Jan 2002

heck if your gonna do a plain dress....you could whip it up over nite!!!
                .o0~CLAY~0o.

Comment

• o_styo_jngl
                  Junior Dancer
                  • Jan 2002

shwk.....actually there is a trick to trimming tobacco lids (chew). You can either trim with tin snips, or "roll" them by hand. "Rolling" the jingles you get a better trim and the edge is not as sharp and eliminates cutting or whatever. How you do this is slightly bend the lid and rotate it in your hand. Keep rotating until you hear a little crack and the edges should be coming off by then. Just keep doing that until you have it all trimmed. any questions??
                  .o0~CLAY~0o.

Comment

• shwk0961
                    Pow Wow Visitor
                    • Feb 2002

cutting cones

Originally posted by o_styo_jngl
                    shwk.....actually there is a trick to trimming tobacco lids (chew). You can either trim with tin snips, or "roll" them by hand. "Rolling" the jingles you get a better trim and the edge is not as sharp and eliminates cutting or whatever. How you do this is slightly bend the lid and rotate it in your hand. Keep rotating until you hear a little crack and the edges should be coming off by then. Just keep doing that until you have it all trimmed. any questions??
                    :supperhap Thank you SO much. I will try the rolling thing, sounds like a good trick

Comment

• Vicki
                      Tiny Tot Dancer
                      • Oct 2000

Just wanted to let everyone know that my sister and I got our patterns for our dresses cut out today.
                      V.W

Comment

• BEZHIG IKWE
                        Pow Wow Visitor
                        • Feb 2001

Trimming cones

Trim off the rim of the lid with tin snips. I also trim the lid to a shape that resembles a bell then roll the cone with a needle nose pliers. The sound of the jingle has a clearer ring. :)
                        Battle River Fan!!!

Comment

• jinglealltheway
                          Tiny Tot Dancer
                          • Mar 2002

it usually takes me two days to do a complete dress. the first day i turn and string the cones. then cut the dress pattern design it how i want it. then start cutting the desings. the second day, i sew and sew. and measure the lines and sew the tabs on with the cones attached to it. another way is to sew the tabs on alone. and after the dress is complete you can put the cones on the tabs. well how ever you do your dress..good luck and tell us how it turns out.:D

Comment

• Awohali
                            Pow Wow Visitor
                            • Feb 2001

Rolling Cones

Shwk,
                            I too am working on my first Jingle Dress (currently I dance southern cloth). I collected all my own lids and am now in the process of cutting and rolling them.

I am using a pair of old scissors (once you cut tin, you can never use them for anything else) I have been trimming the rim off with the scissors, then cut a small slice off one side to flatten it. So then I hold the flat side with 8" needle nose pliers and roll my cone around it. They are coming out beautifully ! It is a long process, but I enjoy making my own cones.

cutting the rim off is not easy......so, I like the idea of "rolling" the rim down until it breaks off. I will try that.

Awohali
                            To hold on to hate....is like taking poison and wishing your enemy would die.

Comment

• Awohali
                              Pow Wow Visitor
                              • Feb 2001

Stringing Cones

I am not quite ready to sting my cones yet. But, I have been thinking about the best way to do it.
                              Would love to hear from any of you, on the best way to string cones, what has or has not worked for you. Also, what do you think is the best way to attach the cones to your dress, once they are strung? What materials work best? I have seen cones fray and break off.
                              I will welcome your advise and experiences, before I proceed any further on my own dress.
                              Thank you,
                              Awohali
                              To hold on to hate....is like taking poison and wishing your enemy would die.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.