• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Vicki
    Tiny Tot Dancer

• Vicki
    replied
    Hey Riverwoman! Are you gonna come down to the Mothers Day Powwow in Mississippi May 10-12? I was just wondering since your ferry godmother was head lady. :) We'll be going since we're just 3 hours south of there.

Leave a comment:

• Riverwoman
    Guest replied
    Re: cutting cones

Originally posted by shwk0961

Speaking of cutting the cones, I was just wondering...how do I go about doing that? I'm saving cones (I didn't want to buy them since someone I know dips anyway) for my first jingle dress and I have no idea how to cut them. Probably a dumb question...
    The only thing that I can suggest is:

Get yourself a pair of metal cutters, there are some that "curve" and a good strong pair of gloves, so that you don't cut yourself, and some needle nose pliers to help turn the cones. *hehe* I should talk, I will have to do this in a bit, gonna try and see how it works out, I am saving up some really nice "mushroom" can lids, Hey what can I say:o They are about the same size as regular cones, and I am waiting for the Missouri River pattern to arrive, along with some other things.

Will be ready to jam like heck this summer!:)

Leave a comment:

• Vicki
    Tiny Tot Dancer

• Vicki
    replied
    Hey guyz....just wanted to let ya'll know that we are gonna start our dresses, so they will be ready for May. :) Thanks for all the advice. My cousin is going to help us. Thank goodness sewing runs on my moms side of the family! :D

Leave a comment:

• o_styo_jngl
    Junior Dancer

• o_styo_jngl
    replied
    well i have found a way to string cones and it seems to go much faster than any other way that i have tried, so here it goes. I use (6mm)Double Fold bias tape. Then i cut them in half and in half and in half until i get a size that is approx. 2 inches (more or less -don't matter) then instead of tying a knot in them, i just fold them up about 1/8 of an inch or so (might even be 1/4). Whatever fits under the needle. then i stitch down the fold. And i keep doing this until all of my strings are sewn.....(just fold and stitch) After this i cut them apart (so that they are not all on one string anymore) and sew them onto the dress. And if you are running late. You can put the jingles on afterward...ie on the way to the powwow :)

p.s. ---use COTTON bias tape (won't fray)
    o_styo_jngl
    Junior Dancer
    Last edited by o_styo_jngl; 03-18-2002, 03:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Awohali
    Pow Wow Visitor

• Awohali
    replied
    Stringing Cones

I am not quite ready to sting my cones yet. But, I have been thinking about the best way to do it.
    Would love to hear from any of you, on the best way to string cones, what has or has not worked for you. Also, what do you think is the best way to attach the cones to your dress, once they are strung? What materials work best? I have seen cones fray and break off.
    I will welcome your advise and experiences, before I proceed any further on my own dress.
    Thank you,
    Awohali

Leave a comment:

• Awohali
    Pow Wow Visitor

• Awohali
    replied
    Rolling Cones

Shwk,
    I too am working on my first Jingle Dress (currently I dance southern cloth). I collected all my own lids and am now in the process of cutting and rolling them.

I am using a pair of old scissors (once you cut tin, you can never use them for anything else) I have been trimming the rim off with the scissors, then cut a small slice off one side to flatten it. So then I hold the flat side with 8" needle nose pliers and roll my cone around it. They are coming out beautifully ! It is a long process, but I enjoy making my own cones.

cutting the rim off is not easy......so, I like the idea of "rolling" the rim down until it breaks off. I will try that.

Awohali

Leave a comment:

• jinglealltheway
    Tiny Tot Dancer

• jinglealltheway
    replied
    it usually takes me two days to do a complete dress. the first day i turn and string the cones. then cut the dress pattern design it how i want it. then start cutting the desings. the second day, i sew and sew. and measure the lines and sew the tabs on with the cones attached to it. another way is to sew the tabs on alone. and after the dress is complete you can put the cones on the tabs. well how ever you do your dress..good luck and tell us how it turns out.:D

Leave a comment:

• BEZHIG IKWE
    Pow Wow Visitor

• BEZHIG IKWE
    replied
    Trimming cones

Trim off the rim of the lid with tin snips. I also trim the lid to a shape that resembles a bell then roll the cone with a needle nose pliers. The sound of the jingle has a clearer ring. :)

Leave a comment:

• Vicki
    Tiny Tot Dancer

• Vicki
    replied
    Just wanted to let everyone know that my sister and I got our patterns for our dresses cut out today.

Leave a comment:

• shwk0961
    Pow Wow Visitor

• shwk0961
    replied
    cutting cones

Originally posted by o_styo_jngl
    shwk.....actually there is a trick to trimming tobacco lids (chew). You can either trim with tin snips, or "roll" them by hand. "Rolling" the jingles you get a better trim and the edge is not as sharp and eliminates cutting or whatever. How you do this is slightly bend the lid and rotate it in your hand. Keep rotating until you hear a little crack and the edges should be coming off by then. Just keep doing that until you have it all trimmed. any questions??
    :supperhap Thank you SO much. I will try the rolling thing, sounds like a good trick

Leave a comment:

• o_styo_jngl
    Junior Dancer

• o_styo_jngl
    replied
    shwk.....actually there is a trick to trimming tobacco lids (chew). You can either trim with tin snips, or "roll" them by hand. "Rolling" the jingles you get a better trim and the edge is not as sharp and eliminates cutting or whatever. How you do this is slightly bend the lid and rotate it in your hand. Keep rotating until you hear a little crack and the edges should be coming off by then. Just keep doing that until you have it all trimmed. any questions??

Leave a comment:

• o_styo_jngl
    Junior Dancer

• o_styo_jngl
    replied
    heck if your gonna do a plain dress....you could whip it up over nite!!!

Leave a comment:

• Vicki
    Tiny Tot Dancer

• Vicki
    replied
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm going over to a friend of my moms house tomorrow and she is gonna help my sister and I cut the patterns out for the dresses.

Shwk....I can't answer your question , but I'm sure someone else on here can. Good luck. :) I been getting my cones already rolled for the past yr. now.

Leave a comment:

• shwk0961
    Pow Wow Visitor

• shwk0961
    replied
    cutting cones

Originally posted by Niimii
    It took me 5 days to do my first one and 2 weeks to do my second one, both are very detailed with designs. I already had the jingles ready though too, I suppose it would have taken longer if I had to cut and roll them. Probably take you about 2 weeks too, good luck with that and I hope everything matches up and works perfectly! :)
    Speaking of cutting the cones, I was just wondering...how do I go about doing that? I'm saving cones (I didn't want to buy them since someone I know dips anyway) for my first jingle dress and I have no idea how to cut them. Probably a dumb question...

Leave a comment:

• Vicki
    Tiny Tot Dancer

• Vicki
    replied
    Ok...just talked to my grandmother. She said she could probably guide me through, but also I have a cousin coming down in 2 weeks that she said could definitely help make the dresses cause she's been sewing all her life also. And my mom has a friend who also sews and had offered to finish sewing up 2 other dresses of ours 2 yrs ago. So, I'm gonna ask her tomorrow if we can go over there this week and cut the pattern out. She may even offer to help us sew the dresses.....I hope! :)

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X