Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My daughters 4th grade class wants to learn how to bead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My daughters 4th grade class wants to learn how to bead.

The teacher asked me to come in during their Idaho History class. I've seen the books they use to teach this class and it has a lot of excellent native history. The teacher thought it would be neat to have one of the native parents come in and teach some crafts.

Any suggestions on small beading projects I can teach to 4th graders?? :Help

This is for this Thursday and Friday..........

teach them the daisy chain and maybe a simple brick stitched item like a keychain ... both simple, both beautiful and no special equipment like a loom or something.
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

I agree with black bear!

I work with Native youth between the ages of 5-18 and we have done the daisy chain project. I have never made one of these chains before until I saw a thread on pw.com and it was fun. Even the younger kids enjoyed doing it.
      :huddle: Learn to associate with the white man, learn his ways, get an education. With an education, you are his equal; without it, you are his victim. - Chief Plenty Coups, Crow

Comment

yeah and you can even teach them variations of the chain
        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

yea what blackbear said. LOL Show them like braclets or something. Alot of our youth like the loom but for non native students thats never around beading I think what blackbear said is a good idea. Yaaaa a :rating10: for blackbear! LOL sorry I'm kinda in a cheering mood today!

Comment

Hey everyone.........thanks for the suggestions.

I still ended up teaching an actual beading project. The kids are working on some little decorative pins that are only about an inch square.

Thank god my sister was there to help me!! :D We had 24 kids!! My 9 and 10 year old were there to help with some basic stuff, too.

Comment

Well kicking!! Sounds like it was fun as well!!!

Comment

Beading Projects

Our tribal school's Cultural program has some awsome tapes on teaching beading. One of the ideas is to teach your self, or i would think it would work for kids too, is to use the big crow beads, or you could even scaled them down to the size 8 or 9's or even pony beads.

You could use the plastic canvas needles (the metal ones) with felt and sinew and sew them down, and it would be big enough that there shouldnt be a HUGE issue with tangeling.

Anyways, thats my idea. for next time ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbear
                  teach them the daisy chain and maybe a simple brick stitched item like a keychain ... both simple, both beautiful and no special equipment like a loom or something.
                  :man: do the keychains with peyote stitch beadwork!!!!

:rofl2: :Tongue

Comment

The reason I had suggested brick stitch as opposed to peyote was because I did'nt know how many students in the class there were and beginning round peyote takes some one on one coaching for someone new to it to learn it easy, especially if they are young kids... but brick can be illustrated easily on a chalkboard.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X