Beaded "crowns" for roaches???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaded "crowns" for roaches???

I don't know what u call them, but how do you bead those "crowns" for lack of a better word for Mens roaches? I see these on Northern Traditional dancers, and I wanna make one, but how??? :Thinking

Does anyone have a picture of one to post on here? If I can see it I can figure it out. Thanks :Idea
    yeah, yeah, yeah...

...never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups...

If quizzes are "quizical"...What are tests?

Is this something new or are you talking about beaded roach spreaders.. the things that sit inside the roach and hold the feather?
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

no...what I am talking about is like a beaded "crown" in front of the roach to keep the porquipine hair up? I know I saw them and my bro wants one, but I can't seem to figure it out :dontknow:
      yeah, yeah, yeah...

Comment

We had a discussion about these in the tradish forum about a year ago. If I remember correctly they are made very similar to the front part of a woman's crown only smaller. I have seen them not only beaded but also painted. I'll see if I can find a pic to post here for you Blackbear
        The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
        -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

The most accessable I had was a pic of Adrian LaChance from the Marra calander. Anyway his crown is painted.
          Last edited by spottedeagle; 02-10-2007, 10:21 PM.
          The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.

Comment

yeah thats what I mean LOL
            yeah, yeah, yeah...

Comment

Found it!!!

Here's a link to the thread I was talking about

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/showthread.php?t=7651

Comment

OH cool!! hmm.. gonna have to learn how that's done myself!
                Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Hey thanks...so they are sewn to the roach itself huh? Well i'm gonna try it out, i'll let you all know how it turns out.
                  yeah, yeah, yeah...

Comment

TW

I personally would not sew them directly to the roach but would instead put them on with hook-n-eyes. I would sew the eye to the roach and then the hook to the back of the beadwork. I also would use 3 hook-n-eyes, one in the middle then one on each end.

The things are made in many different style of beadwork. I have seen them mostly in applique but also in lazy/lane stitch and even flat peyote. Once the beadwork is done you just back like a barrette with something fairly stiff so it stands up well on it's own and attach the hooks.

Another things I have seen done to roaches (beadwork wise) is doing bead wrapping around the bottom edge of the roach where the hair is folded over to be tied. It is done like on the edge of a beaded belt buckle.
                    PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

Just my opinion

Just a matter of personal taste and opinion but I don't like them. I think a roach is to beautiful to cover it up with a piece of painted rawhide or piece of beadwork. Let that puppy sway, show it off. We all know the time and effort that goes into making one of those things. Again, just a matter of taste. If you like them, best of luck.

Comment

Beaded Crowns

For the "crown" for my son, I used the Little Sleeve insert as a pattern. You know the one that Makes the sleeve puffy. This gives it just the right curve for both the top and the bottom so that the crown stands at an angle and not just 45 degrees. I seamed it to a base made out of buckskin/coffee can lid/material. From the bottom of the base I made the holes for the ties to go through. I found that two holes make the crown base stable.
                        The trouble with life is there's no background music!!!

Comment

crowns for roachs

i just finished a crown for my son's roach. i used a running stitch and two needle to lay down the design on old fashioned baby bed padding, then i attatched duck cloth for the backing of it, turned it right side out, leaving the bottom portion open. after that i cut out a piece of medium weight plastic that you might use in doing needlework projects and inserted that inside. then i wrapped beads around the three edges, but not the bottom edge. on his crown, i used a baseball stitch to sew up the bottom and i used matching sinew and went ahead and sewed the crown directly to the roach in three places. it stands up very well but i'm thinking about redoing it, so he can take it off and wrap up his roach when he stores it

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.