raised beadwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raised beadwork

Has anyone ever seen raised beadwork on anything other than whimsies and glenngary(sp?) hats? I'm thinking of attempting to do some for a beaded set I want to work on. How well do you think it would last on leggings and a vest? Am I right in thinking that it is a row (line) of beads covered with loops of beads (like the lane "lazy" stitch with bigger loops) or is there more to the stitch? I just was looking at some beadwork on Ebay and started getting ideas. What do you all think of the idea?

Thanks for your comments. :24:

my clothes and my daughters.. and well pretty much all the tuscarora have raised beadwork on their clothes... heres a few pics of one former princess and one of the runners for that year.
    Attached Files
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

I've done raised beadwork on all kinds of things -- and like the pics that Blackbear shared, I too have it on my skirt, etc. On my purse, I used pretty small beads (14) and was still able to get a raised effect. It is really nice looking :) Most raised beadwork I see is with much larger beads and you essentially just use more beads than you have space... so you bump them up. I've heard people put paper underneath to support the raised portion and I've even used a very small cording with size 12 tri-cuts--- it came out pretty cool. I don't see much variation in terms of use with color or size- some people think it gets too "fancy" but I experiment a lot and I get a lot of compliments on my outfit. So there! :P *lol*
      Haudenosaunee Hotties & Hunnies

Comment

actually the paper is'nt cut to support the raised portion.. but provides a white background for use with clear or transparent beads...makes them brighter since most beadwork is done on black or dark blue velvet. but you are right, it is done pretty much that way, but if you do supporting, it's a row of clear or of the same color bead going the opposite direction underneath kinda like a speedbump. Some a long time ago used to even use straw or moosehair, but not usually with Tuscarora beadwork. I"m doing a large picture frame for an old , odd sized pic of my aunt holding me when I was about 8 months old. I'll be sure to post it when Im done.
        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Have either of you seen the raised beadwork on a contemporary beaded set (not contemporary tradish) used in a non tradish design? (I've got ideas for what I could do with this type of beading.) What's the best way to do this style of beadwork, so it stands up?

Comment

My mom did raised beadwork and she used cotton filler, it looked beautiful when she was done
            Last edited by nt_inuk; 06-08-2004, 11:38 PM. Reason: I Lost my words ...
            Inuk*

"A person who works with their hands is a laborer,
            A person who works with their hands & their brain is a craftsman,
            A person who works with their brain & their heart ... is an Artist".
            Join my on my face book fan page:

Comment

so what is the raised "TECHNIQUE"? I am not uderstanding it.....
              email me?
              or pm me???
              Sounds interesting and pretty.

*Couldn't see too well on the pics up there......*
              I didn't do it, honestly. I have burned all the proof.

Comment

MissTlingitAchievement, here's some more examples of raised beadwork. The loops are almost like the lane (lazy) stitch, but are raised up instead of being a little loop or almost laying completely flat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...915904663&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...915904842&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...915905543&rd=1

Comment

I finally noticed the white paper that you mentioned, gaonseh. That's just like what I do when I use a design from an iron on transfer book for a rosette or other beading. It sure beats having to draw the design.

Has anyone ever seen this technique used in beaded sets for jingle or fancy shawl outfits? I'm just thinking it would be interesting to try it out with some designs. I would probably only raise up part of the design. What do you all think of this idea? Do you think raised beadwork would hold up on a beaded set like that?

Comment

I've not seen it done in sets.. but yes my cousin judy does use raised technique in some of her barrettes she makes. And I've done it making barrettes and necklaces before. It is pretty cool with one or two raised items on something that is mostley flat.

Comment

Originally posted by MissTlingitAchievement
                      so what is the raised "TECHNIQUE"? I am not uderstanding it.....
                      email me?
                      or pm me???
                      Sounds interesting and pretty.

*Couldn't see too well on the pics up there......*
                      Go to my gallery MTA and take a look at my daughters's pic in her purple dress... or the pics I have of her purse... other than how it's been explained here it's hard to really describe with words.

Comment

Ok I finally finished it!!!!! it's 8x10 approximately, black velvet and size 11 beads. The photo is from 1969 and that's my auntie and me.
                        Attached Files

Comment

man, that is a terrible photo..I'll replace it with a better one later

Comment

Nice picture frame blackbear.

Suzizila those are really great pics for examples I like to see what you decide to do, I think it would look cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbear
                              Ok I finally finished it!!!!! it's 8x10 approximately, black velvet and size 11 beads. The photo is from 1969 and that's my auntie and me.
                              That is beautiful! Your friend here in D-town does beautiful stuff too!! She donated a white purse to our pow wow and it was gorgeous.
                              Foxnationwoman

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X