backing for rosettes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backing for rosettes

what do you use to back rosettes?? i'm making a rosette necklace and need some help??????????

and do you glue it or sew it on??

thanks,
    keith
    Last edited by tigger; 11-10-2004, 09:35 AM.

If you are beading on cloth, I'd suggest backing the rosette with a piece of plastic the thickness of a coffee can lid. I would glue the plastic to the back of the beadwork using a fabric glue or some other glue that is flexible when dry (Elmer's won't do). Then I would fold the edges of the cloth on which you were beading over the edge of the plastic and back this with buckskin or felt. I'd suggest sewing this final backing by hand. A glover's needle with go through the plastic. What I like using the best for the final backing on rosettes is a fusible interfacing (available in fabric stores) that you can iron onto felt. This helps the felt keep its shape.

Lately, however, I've been beading rosettes directly on a stiff felt-like beading foundation. Then you don't need the coffee can lid.
    When you are born into this world you reach for either a bow and quiver, which is blessed by the Sun, our Grandfather, or you reach for an awl and sewing bag, which is blessed by the moon, our Grandmother. From that time on you will follow that vision and be blessed.

Comment

Sometimes i use the plastic lids, like WisconsinBlackBear said, the only thing different that i do, is make the plastic slightly smaller then my rossette, add a dab of alyeene's craft glue on the front 'n back of the plastic, finally i add a piece of hide - to finish off the back and then, i sew the edges together when i am doing the final beaded edge. :Thumbs good luck on your learn'n.
      Inuk*

"A person who works with their hands is a laborer,
      A person who works with their hands & their brain is a craftsman,
      A person who works with their brain & their heart ... is an Artist".
      Join my on my face book fan page:

Comment

I do pretty much the same thing as the other 2. Sometimes I will put a plastic lid in the middle if I want it a little stiffer. I also make it slightly smaller than my rosette. I put a little glue on it, just to hold it in place till I get the backing on. I usually lightly glue a piece of buckskin over that as my final backing. Then I edge bead it and the edge beading holds the whole thing together. I usually use butter lids and can get a regular beading needle through them. If your original beading surface is stiff enough then you don't need the lid and you can just back it with the leather.

Comment

These are all great tips! And if I use plastic, I do cut it smaller so I don't have to sew thru it.
          ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose
            These are all great tips! And if I use plastic, I do cut it smaller so I don't have to sew thru it.
            :Thumbs
            exactly
            :Thumbs ;)
            Inuk*

Comment

Hey, no use making it any harder than it has to be, enit, Inuk?:p
              ...it is what it is...

Comment

How Inuk does it is exactly how I do it too!
                Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

^ 5 B Wyo_rose and ^ 5 BlackBear

Life is complicated enuff ...
                  i ain't complicat'n my beading
                  :Thumbs ;) :Thumbs
                  Inuk*

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.