No announcement yet.

$41,000 beaded belt on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what really cheezzzes me is anyone who deals in any kind of cultural property by catering to the ultra-rich...I don't mind so much if things are donated to museums, cuz the vast majority of museums store things archivally...so they last forever. But selling priceless materials and pricing them so high that only a select few can put up the cash...that's wrong, unfair, gross, offensive, blah, blah, blah.

oh, and what's worse? Museums who sell deaccessioned cultural property through Southebys and other really expensive auction houses, again ensuring that they cater to the ultra-rich......SO WRONG!!!! (And, yeah, that's my soapbox because I've been working in the field for 10 years...that's what my Master's degree is...Museum Science! I'm waging a one woman war against selling deaccessioned cultural property.)
    sigpic

See my trading post ads
    See my photo gallery
    See walela49's myspace page

Comment

I have something else for you to "chew" on this morning....

If the item is truly "authentic" there should be come sort of "certificate" and <i>any</i> seller/trader of such native cultural goods I've ever encountered will gladly have the certificate available for viewing. This seller has not done so and has refused to do so when asked, therefore the item is probably not authentic....

As for the trade beads, they can be used and reused in many different pieces.... from what I can determine, they appear to be 19th century trade beads typical of the type which were traded among northwest tribes for furs and other goods. I have some trade beads dating from that time... I doubt that this is the first piece they've been used on.
      "Liberty is the one thing you can't have unless you give it to others."
      ~ Wm A White

"We could learn a lot from a box of crayons:
      some sharp, some pretty, some dull,
      some have weird names, & all different colors,
      but they have to learn to live in the same box." ~ Anon

Comment

Originally posted by Bead Fool
        Dear Angie
        Now what will you do
        Without my listing
        On EBay to chew?

You read not the description
        But how you began
        The price was too high
        And I was a man.

One hundred dollars
        Should have started the bid
        You really are stupid
        Should look what you did.

I asked you why
        But you can't seem to say
        Why my high price disturbs you
        And I should give it away.

Well girl you're dead wrong
        To repeat history
        The value is there
        Even if you can't see.

HEY DO U DO LIMERICKS?

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
        When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

Comment

Another tidbit for you....

Early writers referred to the tribe as "athapascan" but later writers have chosen the spelling "athabascan".... like any other linguistic translation there are also many other forms.
          ~ Wm A White

Comment

Originally posted by ~Brown Eyed Gurl~
            HEY DO U DO LIMERICKS?
            there was a "bead fool" from Nantucket...LOL...I won't finish that!
            sigpic

See my trading post ads
            See my photo gallery

Comment

Originally posted by walela49
              there was a "bead fool" from Nantucket...LOL...I won't finish that!
              who carried it's beads in a bucket..
              selling it if someone would chuck it? LOL
              Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

*Kalilsha*

Comment

that's funny.....i couldn't come up with anything that wasn't naughty!!!! LOL
                  sigpic

See my trading post ads
                  See my photo gallery

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...975759430&rd=1

I can't believe anything would sell for $41,000...much less a CHILD'S belt.
                    If you cannot do it yourself. Then you have to pay to have it done. It is important that we teach our children to bead, ribbonwork, featherwork etc.
                    wa-zha-zhe

Comment

Well, I'm one people pay to do just that...beadwork, applique, ribbonwork, etc. An artist or collector can only charge what the market will bear...and catering to an elite market is the only way to get $41 thou. I personally don't cater to an elite market, 'cuz I like to make a sale or two once in a while!!!!!
                      sigpic

See my trading post ads
                      See my photo gallery

Comment

LOL cause it's easier to do naughty!!!

Wa-zha-zhe--- there are still alot of people who bead those, and most I've seen are much prettier. This person is catering apparently to an elite set of buyers/collectors... cause there ain't no alaskan or NWT native gonna pay THAT much for a belt they can't use or could use for that matter!
                        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

MY MATERNAL GRANDMOTHER HAS CEDAR WEAVED BASKETS IN SOME CANADIAN MUSEUMS...WONDER HOW MUCH THOSE ARE WORTH.....I HAVE ONE THAT WAS PASSED DOWN TO ME WAS MADE BY HER MOTHER...BUT I WOULD NEVER SELL IT.............COME ON MAKE A DURRTY LIMERICK

*Kalilsha*

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbear
                            LOL cause it's easier to do naughty!!!

Wa-zha-zhe--- there are still alot of people who bead those, and most I've seen are much prettier. This person is catering apparently to an elite set of buyers/collectors... cause there ain't no alaskan or NWT native gonna pay THAT much for a belt they can't use or could use for that matter!
                            I seriously doubt that a NA museum would pay that steep a price for something like this.... all the ones I know of wouldn't even consider it! Only some non-native ignoramus would be fool enough to buy it at that price.

I wanna see more of your limericks keep my laughing til it hurts - I need it (see prayer circle)
                            ~ Wm A White

Comment

Originally posted by SingingDeer
                              I wanna see more of your limericks
                              don't get me started...i have a whole book of dirty limericks!!!!!!!
                              sigpic

See my trading post ads
                              See my photo gallery

Comment

lol

don't get me started...i have a whole book of dirty limericks!!!!!!!

hmmm... That reminds me, I borrowed a book like that from a friend
                                ~ Wm A White

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.