Questions about using beeswax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about using beeswax

I've assumed that one threads a needle then runs the needle and length of thread through the beeswax, but is that all there is to it?

Also, I've read that one should coat nymo with beeswax as well as cotton thread. Is that what you experienced beaders do?

Thanks for your help!

no particular way of waxing your thread.. but I prefer a product that you can buy at Joannes or any good bead store called Thread Heaven. It does'nt leave a buildup on your beads as the thread is pulled through and it helps keep your thread from fraying and makes it just glide through the beads. Most people who've tried it will never go back to beeswax.
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Wow - I'll look for Thread Heaven . . . hmmm, I think there's a Joann's coupon on this desk somewhere

I had thought that the beeswax was to somehow protect the thread in addition to the glide factor . . . but I was wondering about 'waxy build-up' LOL . . .
      Thanks!

Comment

I use waxed nylon bead thread by BeadSmith

:heartbeat :moon: :heartbeat :moon: :heartbeat :moon: :heartbeat :moon: :heartbeat :moon: :heartbeat :moon: :heartbeat :moon: :heartbeat
        www.myspace.com/ndnmama

Comment

I tried Thread Heaven after Blackbear's endorsement and I will NEVER use bees-wak again. Its great stuff. I have found it at Hobby Lobby and I think I even saw it once at Wal-Mart, but the memory is fuzzy on that.....
          Randy

Comment

Ok, here's a good one for ya. I heard from a couple of modern yahoos that beeswax attracts dirt, which has microscopic sharp edges that will cut through the thread. I strongly feel this is load of buffalo chips! Anyone else ever heard of this, or even subscribe to the theory? From what I have seen, waxing thread will help protect the thread more than cause it to break. I'm hoping OLChemist or someone with some scientific knowledge can weigh in on this to provide factual evidence.

On a personal note, I think waxing nymo or polyester thread does little more than keep a doubled thread together. I don't think wax and synthetics mix real well. Some of my applique work I use cotton thread and wax the $#%&! out of it. I then iron the back and it smoothes out like nothin else. Some say that wax keeps the thread from tangeling. Not true. It is the act of running the thread through the wax that prevents tangeling, not the wax itself. Thread off the spool is kinda curly, run it over the back of your scissors or your fingernail, just like you would wax, and you will notice the curl goes away and prevents knots. This is what I do to nymo.

Comment

The thread heaven and or wax does help protect the thread... oh and btw.. don't freak out when you see how small a container that thread heaven is in.. I'm working on the same box now for .. well I thought it was four years.. but had to think of how old my kid is and it has to be about 7 or 8 years now... I don't think I will be buying another box of it anytime soon.

Hey Beadman.. another way of getting the memory out of the thread is to "snap" it. Just take it in small lengths all the way down and pull it taught really quick..but not hard enough to break it.
              Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

I luv to use thread heaven, but I have a quick question.

When the product gets low in the container and I've run my thread through it, my thread seem's to get snaged and fray on the edges of the cube, and the slits. The thread heaven masked the fraying until I started to bead and pulled it threw my buckskin. Within the first few stiches my thread was then visibly frayed, ball-uped and would break. I know it is the edges and slits of the cube that is doing this, so I quit using it. I'm back to bee's wax.

Any ideas how to avoid this?
                Where the spirit does not work with the hand there is no art." - Leonardo Da Vinci

"I found I could say things with my beads that I couldn't say any other way....things I had no words for" - Eva McAdams Eastern Shoshone

Comment

another question...does waxing your thread keep your knots from holding??? I just found out that a knot or two on a set I just built came undone (these were knots in sinew) so I was wondering if it's the wax to blame. You know how waxy sinew is!!! I put a little dot of glue on the knots but that didn't seem to work...so now I'm timid to wax any other thread.
                  sigpic

See my trading post ads
                  See my photo gallery
                  See walela49's myspace page

Comment

Originally posted by walela49
                    another question...does waxing your thread keep your knots from holding??? I just found out that a knot or two on a set I just built came undone (these were knots in sinew) so I was wondering if it's the wax to blame. You know how waxy sinew is!!! I put a little dot of glue on the knots but that didn't seem to work...so now I'm timid to wax any other thread.
                    OMG we beadworkers have problems don't we? LOL

Between your knots coming undone and my fraying, breaking thread its a wonder we don't just give up, ennit.

I wish I had an answer for you with your knots coming undone but I don't. However, I have a friend that claims when she irons the back of her pieces to help to flaten the item that the ironing process melts the wax and knots together bonding them together better. I would think your gluing the knots would work better though.
                    Where the spirit does not work with the hand there is no art." - Leonardo Da Vinci

"I found I could say things with my beads that I couldn't say any other way....things I had no words for" - Eva McAdams Eastern Shoshone

Comment

I personally found out that nymo is the absolute worst to try to bead with. If i were to use thread which is very seldom i use cotton and i use beeswax i found out it only helps me to thread the thread thru the eye of the needle LOL. Sinew IS THE BEST!!!! i use a little of hide glue to prevent fraying :o)

Comment

Hmmm.... Lots to think about. I usually wax all my threads to keep them from tangling cuz I always use double strands and it keeps them together so they don't pull unevenly.

I did have a spool of some kind of Nymo that wouldn't even TAKE the wax. I know you have to wax cotton thread, but wonder about Nymo. The wax does seem to get slightly messy.

Think I'll look for thread heaven, and try to snap the memory out of my thread on my new project.
                        ...it is what it is...

Comment

Just take the rest of the thread heaven out of the box... roll it into a ball and hold it. I had my box get chewed on by the kid and then she dipped it in dirt.. so I washed it off and then took the stuff out of the box and turned it over and put it back in the box... it feels like a wad of wax out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by walela49

try alittle super glue on the end of your knot or burn it with a match (barely)

Comment

Wyo-Rose,
                              I have found that the nymo that comes on the big black spools don't take wax very good at all. The very small bobbin size spools take wax almost as good as cotton. I have also found that the small white plastic cones, about 2" tall, aren't good for anything! Just my take on it.

I use the large black spools for loomwork (warp and weft) unwaxed. Small bobbins of nymo for gourd stitch and some applique or lazy stitch projects with wax. I use cotton with a TON of wax for the majority of applique, lazy, and sidestitch projects. I'm way too lazy to use sinew, I leave all that to KiowaKat, ayyye!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.