Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SingingDeer
    replied
    I've used black thread before... a long time ago and then with a black background for the projects, but generally I use white or a color that coordinates with my color scheme.

Leave a comment:

• BeadMan
    replied
    Luvxbeadz,
    No, not black thread, it is white thread that comes on a large black plastic spool, sometimes the spool is grey. Under most circumstances I don't like the look of black thread. My fancy dance beadwork is black background but I still used white thread. Don't know why, but any other color thread just doesn't have the look I like.

Hope that clarifies.

Leave a comment:

• Mezzobean
    replied
    Well, I didn't get to Joann's to check out the Thread Heaven, but there was a trader at the PowWow I went to yesterday who was selling some beading supplies along with her own beadwork and she had it so I got it from her. . . guess I paid too much though ($5) - oh well, if mine lasts as long as Blackbear's it won't matter that much!

I've made one earring so far today with it and I like it very much - it sure is easier to use than beeswax, for me at least . . .

Leave a comment:

• WocusWoman
    replied
    I didn't use it on my needle! It just became that way from the product being on the thread, and then getting onto the needle while sewing. I guess I could have made that more clear in my post.

Leave a comment:

• luvzbeadz
    replied
    Beadman, do you use black warp and weft threads for loomwork no matter what color beads you're using, or only for dark beads?

Leave a comment:

• SingingDeer
    replied
    Originally posted by WocusWoman
    ...The only down-side to thread-heaven that I can see, is that it makes the thread and needle so smooth, it's actually hard to grip the needle through your project, that's one plus for beeswax, but I would recommend it also. Another bonus about thread-heaven is that my female dog doesn't seem to think it tastes good like beeswax. The friggin' dog has to be watched around beading projects; if my beeswax is missing suddenly, I usually find it on the floor somewhere with cocker spaniel teeth-marks in it.
    hmmm... I don't usually wax my needle

but I do have to chuckle about the picture of your dog finding it less than appetizing... that's a good thing
    Now you won't have to go looking for AWOL beeswax

Leave a comment:

• WocusWoman
    replied
    Oh right, here's my latest adventure, that involves sewing and trying a new item. I went to Wal-mart no thread-heaven. The I went by Joanne's Fabrics, it took awhile to see because it is in tiny packaging. I must be getting old, cuz my kids found it before I did. It cost me $2.99, and 10% off on top of that with my new coupon, so that was ok! Then we made it out to the Corolla; I was so happy with my new sewing/beading item in hand that I forgot to pull my shopping bag all the way in the driver-side door before I slammed it right on the thread-heaven. I was afraid to look, cuz I knew it was the only item in the bag that could have made that plastic, cracking sound I heard. OK, so the container has cracks all over and its lid broke in half. No problem, I was still looking forward to trying it out. So all in all, it works good, but I can see if somebody were to drag the thread too hard across the top of it, how you could cause frays on your thread. The only down-side to thread-heaven that I can see, is that it makes the thread and needle so smooth, it's actually hard to grip the needle through your project, that's one plus for beeswax, but I would recommend it also. Another bonus about thread-heaven is that my female dog doesn't seem to think it tastes good like beeswax. The friggin' dog has to be watched around beading projects; if my beeswax is missing suddenly, I usually find it on the floor somewhere with cocker spaniel teeth-marks in it.

Leave a comment:

• SingingDeer
    replied
    I got my thread wax at joanne's but I don't know if it's thread heaven or not... I'll go check the next chance I get...

anyway... I've never had a problem with my knots coming untied with waxed threads....

and for the loomwork, I use a heavier-duty thread for warp threads....

Leave a comment:

• WocusWoman
    replied
    Boy this is a good thread; I've always used beeswax and nymo, or sinew. I think I'm going to try the threadheaven on BB's advice, cuz I'm curious. I always carefully make a hidden knot in my projects and them carefully melt them with my lighter and then quickly smash the knot flat to the beadwork with my calised finger tip, so it's not noticible. I never have knots come undone...

Leave a comment:

• Mezzobean
    replied
    Originally posted by BeadMan
    Mezzobean,

What is that name anyway? My mom used to cook up a mess-o-beans with cornbread. Eh, just kiddin' ya.
    HA! Truth be told, my nickname as a kid was Beanie, and in my classical music life I was a mezzosoprano, so when AOL (3.0!) said NEVER NEVER EVER use your real name as a screen name I picked Mezzobean. Sorry you asked? BTW I love beans and cornbread . . .

Leave a comment:

• walela49
    replied
    Originally posted by Mary E. Keeler
    What kind of knots are you making? I make at least 4 tiny stitches to form a knot, and I havent (knock on wood) had any come loose.
    again these knots were in sinew (the "fringe" part of the hairties with glass beads and bone hairpipe--one of those came undone). I always make square knots then run the loose ends of sinew back through the buckskin. I've been makin stuff for well over 15 years and other than a 12 year old breastplate needing to be restrung, I've never had any other problems with knots not holding...maybe this was a fluke...who knows?

Leave a comment:

• BeadMan
    replied
    Mezzobean,

What is that name anyway? My mom used to cook up a mess-o-beans with cornbread. Eh, just kiddin' ya.

I urge you to read through the Loom Beadwork thread, it has lots of good info abotu warp threads and other stuff. I use the large black spools for warp threads and weft threads. I prefer zixe B, and that works just fine for 13/o's too. I've never heard of pre-stretching thread, I don't havy any problems using nymo for warps, it really depends more on the loom than the thread.

Hope this helps.

PS: I warm my beezwax by keeping it under my armpit while I work.
    Last edited by BeadMan; 07-01-2005, 04:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mary E. Keeler
    replied
    What kind of knots are you making? I make at least 4 tiny stitches to form a knot, and I havent (knock on wood) had any come loose.

Leave a comment:

• Mary E. Keeler
    replied
    I warm my beeswax on a light bulb. I know that sounds nuts but I use nymo and it seemes to help. Going to try the Thread Heaven, ya'lls comments have made me very curious. Sometimes, I double my thread also to give extra strength. Then, I go pretty heavy on the wax to keep it together.

MK

Leave a comment:

• Mezzobean
    replied
    Beadman, your reply above brings up a question I was about to ask in a new thread: what should I use for warp threads if I want to use, say, size 13 cutbeads? Can I use the black bobbin nymo - or should I get the spool size you mention? And what's this I've read about pre-stretching it? Also, let me know if I should start a new thread with this rather than take up space here . . .
    As always - thanks in advance!

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.