First Time Beader Wanting Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time Beader Wanting Advice

I am currently beading a dance stick for my son and it is the first time have beaded peyote. I am beading the pattern as I go along and noticed that I had not made it as symetrical as it could have been. Should I take it all apart and start over again? I know he wouldn't mind if it isn't perfect, but me being the perfectionist that I am, I know that it could be better.

The best lesson to learn as a beadworker is never be afraid to take it out or start over if you're not satisfied.

Although none of us ever achieve perfection with our work, it sure doesn't hurt to try. Just makes for better work.
    I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

Thanks Singerdad. That is what I thought I should do. I can see my beading getting better the more I do it and I know I can't always make things perfect, but it doesn't hurt to try ..LOL

Comment

A wise man once told me that you should always make two or three of every item you make: Mocs - the first upper you bead will be terrible. It will not lay right and will not be pleasing to you. Bead it anyways, all the way as if you were going to make it into a full moc. Then, cut out two new pieces of hide and bead your real mocs. The lessons you learn from every stitch will be reflected in your newest piece. Always learn and never be satisfied.... but don't always be too critical of your work. Others can find beauty in the flaws of life just as we can find beauty in near-perfection....*tear* [Sentimental moment, stage hand sweeps with large push broom]

Wait, what were we talking about?

P.S. Singerdad is very wise and has a very good point; I'm just sharing an alternate perspective. I like to keep bad work to remind myself of how horrible things turn out when I rush or don't plan properly (or just have no talent).
        Last edited by andre; 09-01-2005, 08:39 PM.
        A tater tot is worth a thousand fries.

Comment

As you sew, so shall you rip.

Comment

Good one!!

BUT I wouldn't take it out. Just keep going and finish it. DONE IS BETTER THAN PERFECT!!!

Hardly anyone will notice and you'll know what to do next time.
            ...it is what it is...

Comment

good one oc
              i always put a 'spirit bead'(s) in my beading (beaded 4 things in my life) lol.. its a mistake you do on purpose to remind we are not perfect only creator... so i put in a couple cuz i need reminding..aye

Comment

Thanks to all for your replies. I have talked to my son and he told me to leave it as it is. He said, "Mom you made it and thats all that counts." Kids, ya gotta love 'em.

Comment

Check this web page

Hear a web page I found, helpfull to check if you doing thing right

http://www.guidetobeadwork.com/book/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by middle of the sky

good one oc
                    i always put a 'spirit bead'(s) in my beading (beaded 4 things in my life) lol.. its a mistake you do on purpose to remind we are not perfect only creator... so i put in a couple cuz i need reminding..aye
                    I was taught this way and passed it on to the kids I used to teach.

Comment

undefined

I was taught that all things are not perfect. I would leave it alone
                      Last edited by ndtnanners; 09-28-2005, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Well, I have finished the dance stick. As I beaded more of it, you could see that the design was looking better and tighter. I did leave the "mistake" there just to remind me what I have learned since. Again, thanks for all the help and advise to all.

Comment

alot of good advice on here. just figure out which one you want to listen to and go for it.

me, if i make a mistake and it's not to noticable i'll go back and fix it. depending on when i catch it. but no one is going to notice it and if they do, then they will prolly think you out it there on purpose.

Comment

so you gonna post a pic of the dance stick????
                            Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

I have to get some film for my camera and get it developed, and you had better bet I will post it. May take a little while tho.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X