Beaded roach spreaders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaded roach spreaders?

Hope this is in the rite spot for this question, I am head lady here real soon and I would like to make a couple of spreaders for my give-a-away I know how to bead and do all the things it takes to get the finnished product my question is does any body have any tips on how to make one of these? I have a pretty good idea but just woiuld like some input to see if im on the rite track I have the design and beads and ready for to bead as soon as i get any tips. Thank-you.
    I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Plume

The way I usually make them is very similar to making a belt buckle. I make a tracing of the roach so I get the right size the spreader should be. Trace that onto whatever you will bead on and then make another line 1/4" inside of that. This is the line you will bead out to. Dont forget to mark where the hole in the crown is (these are aften under the front cup/socket) and a set of holes at the end since these holes are kinda important to have so the spreader can be held in the roach properly.

I next make the cup/sockets to hold the feathers. These will vary in diameter depending on how you want the feathers to lay. (film canisters will lay the feathers wide, small medicine bottle are intermediate in the way they lay but are not exactly straight sided, plastic coin collecting tubes for nickels or penny's will stand the feathers up fairly straight and high) Just take whatever you are using for the sockets and wrap it with leather, after they are ready, figure out where they will go within the area of the base tracing and trace around the sockets and then make another line outside of that about 1/16" out. This leaves room for the gourd stitch/bead wrapping that will be on the sockets.

Now, bead away leaving the area for the cups and the lacing holes unbeaded and stopping at the 1/4" in line of the base tracing. After you have finished beading this then take an empty butter tub and cut a piece out of the side the same size as your beaded area. The butter tub will give a natural curve to the finished spreader and that is why I use it. (some folks use rawhide instead of the plastic tub and other do not sandwich anything in the middle) Also cut a piece of thin hide out the same size as your original base tracing. Rough up the plastic a bit with sand paper or something else so that glue will stick to it. Now glue this to the bottom of the beadwork and after it dries glue that to the thin leather. Be sure not to get glue into that 1/4" edge area since it will suck trying to get a needle through that if you do. Whip stitch the edges shut and then use overedge beading to finish this edge.

Now bead the cups/sockets and drill/burn/punch holes through the bottom of the them out at the edge of the cup. Place them in the unbeaded areas on the spreader and use a pin to mark where the holes need to be and then punch or drill holes there.

At this point the spreader is done. How the feather will be attached depends on how the dancer likes to rig his feathers. I like to put a fish swivel into the bottom of the quill and then use a lace running through the eye of the swivel and then run the lace down through the cup and spreader tying it underneath. Some guys like to have a wire sticking up out of the cup to push the feather down onto and if this is the case then just rig the wire to one end of the swivel and attach the same way as above and push the feather onto it after the fact.

I am sorry for going to the hilt with this since you said you have the skills, but I probably would have missed some tip/trick if I just tried to name them, beside maybe someone else reading this might not have the same skills and it can help them.
    PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

Thank-you so much!!!

wow I asked for info and I got it! thank-you, now all I have to do is start writing these instructions down and get to work, ive been worring about this comming out rite ,being ive never done it before, I feal alot better about my gift for my Head man ,and again thank-you. I may be back if I get stuck and Im gonna ask for you!! lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Plumes
        wow I asked for info and I got it! thank-you, now all I have to do is start writing these instructions down and get to work, ive been worring about this comming out rite ,being ive never done it before, I feal alot better about my gift for my Head man ,and again thank-you. I may be back if I get stuck and Im gonna ask for you!! lol.
        Might be easier to go up to 'thread tools' above the topmost post and click on 'printable version'.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Oop's my bad!

Thank- you Joe's dad I had no idea you could even do that! I feal silly, now all I have to do is get a printer ! you guys are so helpfull I could jump for joy!

Comment

did ya get your printer for this????
            Acorns 2 Oaks

Comment

We got..

We got a printer for lotsa things I had no idea you could print posts

Comment

Help!!!

I went to printable version like Joe's dad said and my print sign does not come up what do I do? or am i doing something else wrong?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.