Beaded Bolo Tie's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaded Bolo Tie's

I would like to know how to do the beaded bolo's, I know how to bead its the over all construction im wondering about, and where to find the blank bolo slides and cord. thank-you for any tips or ideas.
    I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Well.....first you bead the medallion for the bolo....duh...or whatever shape you want.

Decide on what kind of cord you want. If you want the thin black cord, what I would do is buy a cheap bolo tie for like $5-10 and attach the medallion over it, leaving an opening for the slide part.

A lot of people I know just use nylon rope and bead it. Some people just bead the ends, but I know more and more are beading the whole thing. If you wrap bead it, it will go faster than gourd stitching just the ends.

Before you attach the backing buckskin to the medallion, get another strip of buckskin and attach it to the backing, making two half loops for the rope to go thru. Know what I mean? If you have a 1/2" x 1-1/4" strip, attach the middle of the strip to the middle of the backing. Then leave some slack and attach each end. Then you'll have two channels for the rope part to go thru.

Now you can put the medallion and the backing together, with a stiffener between, if it needs it. Then bead the edges.

Tuh-duh!
    ...it is what it is...

Comment

Thank-you

Thanks for the info, do you think this is a ok gift for a give-a-away? if so I want to make a couple of them

Comment

Sounds like a GREAT giveaway gift.
        ...it is what it is...

Comment

weeellll

firemountaingems.com
          is the place that i get my supplies from... they sell the slides (with pull down lock-in-place) and the bolo leather in SEVERAL colors.... now that you know my secret.. lol.. i'm just kidding... but for real.. i order ish from that place all dee time and i luff it.... check out their clearance beads... a pound for $7!!... they arent that bad... i bought a couple pounds... they arent delica's but they will do for certain projects... and you just cant beat $7!!!!!... sign up for thier email flyers... they send one a day just about but the BARGAINS are worth it....

here's the direct link to the bolo goodies...
          http://www.firemountaingems.com/search.asp?skw=bolo

Comment

Thank-you

Thanks for the info!! and thankyou for sending me the link!!! Ive gotten good help on this.

Comment

Construction Question...

I posted earlier about this ,now my question is I have the metal piece that the beaded part sits on how do I attach the beaded part to it? im thinking glueing or some sort of stitching or both?

Comment

hey I'm cheap...lol...I save my plastic lids and use those for backing the bolo n then use leather glue those pieces together and then edge the circle with beads...there are several stitches you can use for edging..oh and try to center that metal slide where you want it to be..you probably need to make an opening for it in the buckskin/leather too...hope that helps or for the plastic I think most fabric places carry that plastic template stuff..you can use that too.
                "Each of us is put here in this time and this place to personally decide the future of mankind. Did you think the Creator would create unnecessary people in such terrible danger? Know that you yourself are essential to this World."-A. Looking Horse

Comment

i glue the piece on.... i cut 4 little slits in the leather backing my beadwork and run thin peices of leather or string threw the holes (were the bolo leather runs up and down) of the "slide" piece (two above and two below) and stick them back throw the slits and then glue... so that those thin leather or strings will tac them down.
                  now what i put in between my beaded peice and that leather backing is matting for picture frames.... it's pretty sturdy. it's about $2.50 for a big ol poster size sheet. a little thicker than cereal boxes.... but comes in all colors... you dont want kellogg's logo under your clear beads showin threw... or do u? lol... jk

Comment

Last edited by 3ndnbear; 05-04-2006, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Thank-you fro your detailed instructions

Comment

i
                        Last edited by 3ndnbear; 05-04-2006, 02:06 PM. Reason: duplicated my response wacky computer!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.