Beading crown using hoop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beading crown using hoop

Can anyone tell me how you bead a crownif you are using a hoop? How do you get the band attached to it? Any help will be appreciated.
    Don't take life so serious no one gets out alive!

fat fingers lol

well personally i've never heard of a crown with a "hoop" in it ...

the crowns ive made, ive used stiff felt (found it at micheals' hobby stores in the longer length) or like materials. then i've used poster board thickness paper that i glued behind it (with a glue stick - prevented warping) and beaded on that. it was lightweight enough and sturdy enough to stand up by itself ..

measure your head or whoever's head the crown is going to be on .. lol .. and make it that size. i personally dont like those crowns that have the space in the back for an elastic and prefer to sew the ends of the crown together. with a barrette covering the ends ...

here is a pic of a crown i mad for my 11 year old ... sorry no pic of the back of it
    Attached Files
    Watch your broken dreams...
    Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

Originally posted by chazziff
      well personally i've never heard of a crown with a "hoop" in it ...

the crowns ive made, ive used stiff felt (found it at micheals' hobby stores in the longer length) or like materials. then i've used poster board thickness paper that i glued behind it (with a glue stick - prevented warping) and beaded on that. it was lightweight enough and sturdy enough to stand up by itself ..

measure your head or whoever's head the crown is going to be on .. lol .. and make it that size. i personally dont like those crowns that have the space in the back for an elastic and prefer to sew the ends of the crown together. with a barrette covering the ends ...

here is a pic of a crown i mad for my 11 year old ... sorry no pic of the back of it

I am sorry I was not clear. i meant if you are using a needle point hoop to hold everything tight? Does this help?

Comment

Nice crown.

Comment

Originally posted by NDN GRITS
          I am sorry I was not clear. i meant if you are using a needle point hoop to hold everything tight? Does this help?
          I do double-needle-type applique beading and that's the only way I know how to put beads onto fabric. I use a fabric pencil to draw the designs, put the fabric in the hoop and fill in the patterns.

Right now I've got a stupid amount of projects started using both fabric applique and applique-type beading. (I've got a target date for all of it to be done of October....maybe I'll even get around to posting some pictures). Thankfully I have a bunch of different sized hoops!

~b2w

Comment

i've personally only used a hoop once for beading .. didnt like it. too bulky for me. but there are ppl out there that cant bead without one ... i generally make the material sturdy enough to keep its shape on its own ... if that makes any sense.

i used a hoop once to keep the velvet piece i was beadin on "straight" - the dang hoop "crushed" the velvet (i tried not to tighten the hoop too much) but it still left a ring ... i've since just "learned" to sew/bead without one .. lol .. just to bead on the velvet with a heavy canvas or denim underneath (which helps the velvet keep its shape and doesnt warp)

my sister one time used fabric adhesive (in a can) to "glue" the velvet to the "crown backing" (somewhat like i described above) that she had made. she then edged it with beads to help with the fraying (sp?) of the material ...
            Watch your broken dreams...
            Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

i just use tacky glue on what you are using to stabalize and stiffen (ie: stiff felt, fun foam, posterboard) and then put the velvet over it .. you just don't want everythign saturated with glue, just a light coating so it does'nt bleed through the velvet. From there you can directly bead on it. I also add a second layer for the backing which is covered with cotton material. Then sandwich it, wrong sides together and edge bead it.... a smalll whip stitch at the bottom instead of beads is more comfortable.
              Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

I concur! Don't bead with a hoop, cuz when you take it off, then it's gonna bunch up.
                ...it is what it is...

Comment

LAP-PAD is the only way to go. No Hoops!

Comment

Thanks, i need all the help I can get. The only reason i asked was I had a friend tell me this is the best way to bead. So thanks...

Comment

I tried beading using a hoop but it kept getting in the way.... trial and error got me into using baby pad, fun foam, canvas (I loooooooove canvas for leggings and what not, only you have to use bias around the edges so it doesn't fray...), and plastic lids.
                      SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

i bead with hoops

i use the hoops for my smaller stuff.. but for my leggins that i am working on i'm not... i would love one of those great big huge quilters one that's on a stand! holah that would be ace!! but to each their own... and yeah.. when you bead on velvet ya just have to do it by hand... even glue will make it crush!

Comment

Originally posted by 3ndnbear
                          i would love one of those great big huge quilters one that's on a stand!

How bout you just made me drool!!!!! I've been dying for one of those, a quilter, and an embroidery machine wooooooooooooooo. lol.
                          SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

NO KIDDING! but hey.. make a square frame and use push tacks to hold the edges of your material to it... or roll it light around the edge and saftey pin it.. would'nt that work as well?
                            Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

On working with velvet (or even large pieces of fabric) - I have a 3' by 2' crewel work frame... it's kind of like a bead loom (the craftstore kind with the rollers on each end). Just clip the fabric onto one side and use the rollers to tension or move down the piece. (I also use it for applique work).

It keeps the work straight for me (and keeps me from sewing parts of the project together by accident instead of just beading the project ) and doesn't mar the nap of the velvet.

~b2w

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.