Long Term Effects of Backing Beadwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Term Effects of Backing Beadwork

I have seen many others that have dopne their beadwork on index cards and even paper? I have always used canvas and have usually used interfacing behind that.

My question is has anyone had any long term problems with beadwork done on index cards or paper? Does the beadwork fall apart? If one has bead work done in this way will it hold up to getting wet with rain or sweat?

Just got my beads out and looked at the dance clothes again after a year off. Not sure if anyone missed me?
    Brian

I just did a repare on a very old barrett that I had to not only repare the edge beading but I also replaced the leather backing and it was beaded on a thick piece of paper it had some sort of advertisement coulnt quite make it out cause it was dicolored from age and wear, the paper its self looked pretty good for the age and it appeared to have gotten wet cause the threads were all brown but not brittle. so id say it help up pretty well for a barrett.
    I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Thanks EaglePlumes.

But do you or others back your beadwork with just paper? I am still wary.
      Brian

Comment

Coating the paper/cardboard with nail polish will help it resist moisture and sweat. Letting your outfit air out well, will lenghten the life of the beadwork.

The thin plastic used for making tole painting stencils works well too, but it doesn't breathe. I've used Tyvek (the plastic fiber paper) but it is too soft for much. Milk bottle plastic is good for things that need to be really stiff. You just have to use an awl to make your holes (or have way tougher fingers than I do, LOL).

Comment

Originally posted by tallman
          Thanks EaglePlumes.

But do you or others back your beadwork with just paper? I am still wary.
          If my design is drawn on paper I staple it to felt, but mostly I draw my designs on pelon and staple it to the felt as well, Ive made several projects this way and have always had good results.

Comment

I use painted canvas. Whats cool about it is that you can run it thru your printer and print the design on the canvas. Its like beading by numbers.

You just have to make sure your design is the right size when printed or your beads maybe too thick of thin for the lines.

The ink doesnt stay on too good cause the surface is slick so you either have to be carefull not to smudge it while beading or just trace the outlines with a marker or ballpoint.

I am gonna try regular canvas next, but the ink may spread as it soaks in.

I used to use regular canvas backed with maskingtape.
            There are 2 types of people in the world...
            Really stupid people who think they are smart
            and
            Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

We never use paper. I for one, have occasionally took a beaded barrette out of my hair, placed it in my jeans or jacket pocket and put it through the wash. We make beadwork that is going to survive incidents like this. Why back or bead onto crapping materials after putting all your precious time into it, when there are good sturdy things to use instead.

Comment

I use the stiff felt and the baby lap pad (flannelized rubber sheeting). I can't bead on index card anymore. Both of the products I mentioned make it easy as heck for the needle to go through compaired to the card, and are resistant to moisture and breaking down, although the stiff felt can break down. I sandwich between that and leather backing a thin layer of plastic from like margarine lids or yogurt lides. For some reason I'm just resiliant to the idea of washing out a milk jug and cutting it up LOL! But like the giant sized goldensoft margarine lid is pretty good sized.
                Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WocusWoman
                  We never use paper. I for one, have occasionally took a beaded barrette out of my hair, placed it in my jeans or jacket pocket and put it through the wash. We make beadwork that is going to survive incidents like this. Why back or bead onto crapping materials after putting all your precious time into it, when there are good sturdy things to use instead.
                  I have one barette I use for personal use that is beaded on paper and it got washed and I was freekin but it was just fine the leather came out nice too I was not likeing the whole paper thing till I tried it and I really like it ,by the way im not picking at you just shareing ok?
                  Last edited by Eagle Plumes; 07-17-2006, 06:46 AM.

Comment

My sister in law washes old beadwork all the time. Lots of it was beaded on paper. Turns out fine most of the time.

What is scary is that I came across a piece of rubberized flannel lap pad that is about 30 - 40 years old. It's very brittle and cracked. ACK!!!
                    ...it is what it is...

Comment

thanks to everyone for the feedback. I am going to try the margarine lid thing.
                      Brian

Comment

I've beaded on paper and plastic. I like em both. I usually bond the paper onto light canvas and go to town. I also use the beading felt and kiddie foam. Good schtuff.
                        SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Singing Otter
                          I've beaded on paper and plastic. I like em both. I usually bond the paper onto light canvas and go to town. I also use the beading felt and kiddie foam. Good schtuff.
                          when you say bond ? do you mean some how iron it to what ever your beading to? asking cause im curious.

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose
                            My sister in law washes old beadwork all the time. Lots of it was beaded on paper. Turns out fine most of the time.

What is scary is that I came across a piece of rubberized flannel lap pad that is about 30 - 40 years old. It's very brittle and cracked. ACK!!!

Really? do you know what kind of conditions it was kept under just for reference? I ask because when I had my kid my mom sent me all my old baby blankets, diapers and the lap pads she used with me, and they were all in great condition. They were 29 years old, and I even passed them on to my friend when she had her little boy.
                            Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

It was just in a closet with some other items. There may have been some temperature extremes cuz the house it was in was empty for awhile. I estimated the age cuz my mom used them with my little brother, but it could be even older.

It cracked as I unfolded it and just for kicks I bent the edge in half between my fingers and it cracked and was very brittle.
                              ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.