Long Term Effects of Backing Beadwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eagle Plumes
    when you say bond ? do you mean some how iron it to what ever your beading to? asking cause im curious.
    Yeah. The light heat and bond (the same stuff some folks use for fabric applique. Makes the paper nice and stiff on the canvas. It's easy to bead though and holds up pretty good.
    SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

I used to work in a museum and have seen many old examples of beadwork. Brown grocery bag paper can hold up fairly well if it doesn't get wet too often. Still, its not the best material to use IMO. Cardboard or heavy paper eventually breaks apart and turns to powder. I don't use paper of any sort because these are all created from wood pulp. Wood contains acids which get released by off-gassing and can cause damage or discoloration to objects.

The rubber on the lap pad is sensitive to both temperature and humidity changes. Unless kept in a fairly moist environment, it dries out and becomes brittle.

I use milk jug or laundry soap plastic on hairties and barrettes where stiffness is needed. For beading material, I use Pellon which is a non-woven material made entirely of polyester or a mix of polyester and nylon fibers. That stuff is great because it comes in different thicknesses, wont discolor, fray, shrink or do weird things. Its an inert and chemically very stable material that won't affect anything it comes in contact with, even over decades of time. God bless whoever invented that stuff!

Comment

ya know it was because of you ^ that I started using that too! It's soooooo easy on my hands to use this instead of the super heavy canvas!
        SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

Beading and use of backing material

I pefer to use a combination of baby felt material bonded to papersack, then thin layer of tacky glue, bonded to aida, and finally to the cloth or leather. This works for beaded crowns and holds up really good.

On the flip side I recieved some old beadwork that was beaded on stiff paper and the sewn on denim. This beadwork had some major issues: black tape edges, paper was coming apart and the beads were loose on the borders and the sticky tape material blackened the beads on where the tape was applied. The short story is I had to remove the tape and do some conservation work.

d

Comment

Nothing beads beading on brain tanned buckskin. I made an awesome stuffed beaded keychain and I new it was going to be through a lot of abuse, so I beaded it on buckskin, stuffed it with buckskin and incorporated the buckskin strap into the pattern so it wouldn't be a separate piece.

I was taught to bead on buckskin and only use other stuff when your desperate! Buckskin isn't that hard to come by and isn't that expensive when you take everything into consideration.

But I think I'll go buy some yardage of different weights of Pellon and quit the lappad/canvas/paper route. I still back my buckskin with brown paper and top it with bonded paper for the design for applique.

I only bead for family now and want it to last FOREVER like my grandma's stuff.
            ...it is what it is...

Comment

I have 5 medalions that I wore with my fancy dance set, all beaded on cereal box cardboard. I sweat like a pig when I dance, especially summer in Okla. All the beadwork looks practically new and no damage at all, and I danced alot. It really depends on how you do the beadwork more than the materials. I support coating with nail polish before and after beading, stiffens and protects.

Unless you keep your stuff locked up tight all the time, you don't need to worry about acidic off-gassing, that's just a museum buzz phrase that gets thrown around way too much. The glues and tape adhesives that most of us use on our outfits would be much worse and even they are not that bad if aired out regularly.

I'd say you need to find something you like and trust will last long and go with it. There is no right or wrong way, just as long as you like the finished project. That being said, I enjoy hearing everyone's different ways. How varied!

Comment

Originally posted by BeadMan
                Unless you keep your stuff locked up tight all the time, you don't need to worry about acidic off-gassing, that's just a museum buzz phrase that gets thrown around way too much. The glues and tape adhesives that most of us use on our outfits would be much worse and even they are not that bad if aired out regularly.
                You make a good point. For most craftspeople, off-gassing really isn't a big threat, especially if you regularly air out your stuff. As you say, there are more problems caused by the chemical reactions of glues and tapes and such. People will use whatever will give them the result they desire. I was not trying to scare or criticize anybody or come across with a "holier than thou" attitude. I was simply stating the observations I have made and the methods I use based upon those observations. I happen to want my beadwork to last 200 years rather than just 20.

Comment

Czechy

I wasn't trying to imply any of that about you. Some people get all freeked out when they hear words like "acid" and start thinking the world is comming to an end or something. Generally, inorganic materials, such as beads, actually like acidic environments; organic materials like alkaline or basic environments. Same thing when you tell people there is arsenic in the water. It's true, but not enough to harm a fly, so drink up. You do bring up valid points though. I think discoloration would only happen if two reactive materials were in direct contact for a long time. Such as tape, you peel the tape off something that has been there for 10 years and it will be discolored.

I sound like a science nerd. Maybe OLchemist will back me up here or tell me off?

Comment

I have been beading for about 25 years. Back in those days canvas and felt were the things to bead on. Some of the beadwork that I have beaded from those days has crossed my path, still in good shape. Most of the beadwork that I do is for family. I make it so that it is washable. Just take care of your stuff and air it out. My kids sweat alot to.
                    The trouble with life is there's no background music!!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.