X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miyuki Seed Beads

Hey Everyone!

Tallman: Sent you a pm about those seed beads

I find that the miyuki seed beads are the best....kinda pricey but for me once i switched to those i wouldnt go back. The bead finishes and colours are endless so you have a lot choices. I've used 11's and now 15's which i love. I've never used the 18's. I dont even have a place to purchase those...must do a lil searching.

Joe's Dad: between2worlds is right the colour lined beads are really nice....some of my favorite beads actually. If you want a lil glitz but not as much shine as the silver lined ..try the gilt lined those are purdy too.

I purchase my beads from a lady in Ontario this is her website. I duno if i'm suppose to do this ..post the website....smack my hands if i'm not allowed to do this but here is the website I order my beads from:

www.thatbeadlady.com

This website i've ordered everything else but beads. Will try their beads soon because you can buy in bulk and they are miyuki seed beads:

http://www.houseoforange.biz/corange.htm

Hope this helps..happy beading everyone

Comment

IM not sure if I know wht the miyuke beads look like, do you have any pics of pieces with them in it? or a pic of the beads themselves?
      I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

The Miyuki's are thin walled tubes with much larger holes than the Czech. They need a larger thread than you would normally use to get good tight work. They are roughly square and have a different aspect ratio than the Czech's. They have many many colors and finishes. Some colors are painted or dyed rather than pigmented glass. In my experience, some colors are not particularly lightfast.

I've used the pigmented Miyuki 15/0's with Czech Charlottes in applique. In my opinion it takes some care to mix them. I found on tight curves the Miyukis have a larger bead-to-bead gap than the Czechs.

The Czech 18/o's are antiques. There are some modern French 18/0 beads which are about the size of a 14/0-15/0. The antiques take some pretty serious culling and have a really high throw away rate. They are an expensive habit. They are running in the $0.50-$1.50/gram range, if you can find them. Opaque red is very hard to come by, as are Cheyenne Pink.

Comment

thank-you for that, I just loove beads! and am always tring new things.
          I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

My avon lady started selling 11 charlotte cuts. I want to order up but she's charging 4-5 bucks a hank.

I have a ton of 13 cuts, but hey, I gotta bead in quantity as well as quality.
            ...it is what it is...

Comment

Beads I use

Hey almost neighbor. I was born and raised in St. Aug. Bch.(it was a nice place before somebody invented condos) Now I'm just up the road in Camden County. I use 11's from FMG-the Dyna Mites. They are pretty consistant in size and are reasonably priced. I also like the reusable box they come in. No scrambling to find a spill proof way of keeping them. I recently got some hanks of Czech 11's from Shipwreck and I wasn't very pleased. I can use them for some netting things I'm working on, but they aren't sized consistantly to use on my loom. Let me put it this way- I'm not sorting 10 hanks of beads into different sizes so I can loom. I'll use the Dynas for looming. If Ernesto doesn't raise too much havoc in the area, Kingsland always has a big Catfish Festival on Labor Day weekend. Lots of crafts and good food. Usually, there are several N.C. Cherokee cafters here. Take care and watch out for Ernesto-he's headed this way.
              Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.