Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Satisfaction

well,
    i have beaded some things for some people... and worn others beadwork while dancing... and it all looks good... but some people that dont do their own work... i just get more satisfaction making my own... instead of say, buying pre-maid things from crazy crow or other places... dont get me wrong, their beadwork is great... so what are your feelings? are you fine with wearing something another person gave you or yoru bought from somwhere? or would you rather make your own?
    Even YOU can change!

The only reason I find beading for myself more satisfying is because I can bead exactly what I want, but my collar was made for me by my sister (except for the scalloped fringe that I put on) and I absolutely love my collar.
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Every thing I wear was beaded by me, except my boots and they were a gift from family, I share alot of my beadwork with family and friends if they need it I give it to them and they wear it proudly, as for the catalog bead work I dont buy it or wear it because I can bead just about everthing and anthing my little heart desires to. But in no way fault those who do or think badly of them, it just makes me want to reach out to them and either teach them to bead or make them some my self.
      I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

I would much rather wear my own beadwork or beadwork that someone I know has made. Although, I tend to wear my own beadwork more often, because I made it to match or go with my dance clothes.

I don't like the beadwork sold from the online trading posts..........
        I guess if someone just absolutely couldn't do their own beadwork it would be something they would want to use...........but then you go to a pow wow and you see that beadwork and you recognize it as being from the trading post. Then you see others wearing the same stuff.........like carbon copies of each other.

Comment

I like to make my own beadwork and for my family. I'ld rather wear my own then buy it from an online trading post or out of a catalog. I love to bead anything.

Comment

The only beadwork I don't care for is the imported stuff from Taiwan and such... is that what you all mean by online catalogue?
            Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Yeah, Black Bear, the foriegn made and machine made beadwork.
              Crazy Crow has some of it............
              I've not seen just tons of people using it, but I guess I've looked at the catalog enough (looking for beads) that I recognize it as being the foriegn and machine made beadwork when someone uses it on their dance clothes.
              I agree with Eagle Plumes.........when I see someone using that beadwork it makes me want to teach them how to make their own.
              Something kind of sad about using the foriegn made or machine made beadwork.
              Kind of like it has no soul, you know?
              Beadwork that you make yourself or is made by family or friends has a little bit of that persons spirit and love in it.

Comment

I luv making my own stuff, but if someone gave me something I would be honored to wear it.

Comment

When im dancing alot of spectators come up to me and see all my beadwork and that say wow did you make all that? !!!! and I can proudly say yes I did and can have anwsers for them cause I know how long it took to make and how much it cost in materials ect, ect by doing my own work Im able to share this if its something I want to share.

Comment

LOL don't you know the powwow rule? You're always supposed to say," Thanks, it was a gift". ROFLMAO!

Comment

No hadnt heard that one in all my years of dancing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbear
                        LOL don't you know the powwow rule? You're always supposed to say," Thanks, it was a gift". ROFLMAO!
                        good one! I might have to try that one out hahaha
                        SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

I would much rather have something hand made than mass produced, especially when it comes to bead work. I agree with NancyJo, that mass produced beadwork has no soul. I have some stuff my son made in Scouts when he was little. I will sometimes wear it, even though now it kind of embarrasses him(he's 20).And it's worth more to me than a 10 carat diamond. To me, handmade anything is extra special. Some people simply don't have the creative "thing" so they don't do handmade stuff and that's ok too. Not everybody is artistic. I can do all kinds of crafts (my main love is beading), but if somebody put a gun to my head and said draw a picture or I'll shoot, I'd have to tell them to shoot. Same thing with sewing-I can embroider, but don't ask me to make a shirt or sit at a sewing machine and I come from a long line of folks who can sew. I guess some things just don't make it into the gene pool. LOL
                          Last edited by subeeds; 08-28-2006, 08:39 PM.
                          Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

Do people actually buy that cheesy imported mass-produced beadwork from Crazy Crow???? How pitiful!!!!

I actually like wearing things that have been given to me better than things I make myself. I don't even care if I"m mismatched.
                            ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by NancyJo
                              Kind of like it has no soul, you know?
                              Beadwork that you make yourself or is made by family or friends has a little bit of that persons spirit and love in it.
                              Yeah. That's why I do my own beadwork. The way I was taught, what you think about, how you are feeling while you are working on something becomes a part of that thing. With beadwork from who knows where made by who knows whom??? who knows what has been put into it.

Kind of like not being able to see the kitchen in a restaurant, ya don't know if the prep guy washed the cutting board or the cook washed his hands or is using the same tasting spoon in everything. bleh!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X