X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beading on Velvet

any tips for beading on velvet?

what to back it with?

I want to use yellow velvet as a background for beadwork becuase i think it will create a different texture to the piece.

how long does it last?

are there different types, thick and thin?

thanks.
    There are 2 types of people in the world...
    Really stupid people who think they are smart
    and
    Really smart people who think they are smart.

Starting at wise geek (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-velvet.htm) you can learn a lot about what velvet is.

There are many different kinds of velvet - silk, cotton and rayon being popular. There are also variations like crushed and panne velvet. You can find deep pile or lightweight velvets.

Working with velvet can be tricky because it is easily damaged. Creases and wrinkles are a devil to get out because they are distortions in the pile. Care must be used in even storing velvet as folding the piece may cause creases.

This winter I'm making a complete velvet set for myself. I'm using a knit velvet (some say that knit velvet is not "true" velvet) and am backing it with a sturdy cotton lining to stabilize the fabric so the weight of the beads doesn't cause it to hang oddly.

If I was doing something smaller or with less beadwork I'd use a medium heavy pellum as a backing (a light-weight felt-like material - the fabric store ladies will know what you're looking for if you ask them for pellum or "facing" material. It's also the stuff found sandwiched in between the layers of a dress shirt collar).

Sounds like an interesting project... post a picture when you're done?

Comment

I like beading on velvet. I never used penne or crushed. I use a nice heavy velvet or velvetten. I back it with interfaceing & when I'm done I back that with broadcloth. But yes, be careful with it. Yellow sounds beautiful.

Suzze

Comment

What are you making? We might be able to give more specific suggestions if we knew.

Beware that some velvets have some stretch to them. Velveteen is made with some cotton woven in and does not stretch. Its what I prefer to bead on. The velvets made with synthetic materials are more slippery and can be a pain. For backing, I draw my beading design onto a light to medium weight fusible stabilizer and then iron that onto the back side of the velvet. The weight of stablilizer will depend on the amount of stiffness desired. You can lift and cut away the excess stabilizer after beading if you don't need the stiffness.

Can't say I've seen yellow velvet too often. I bet it will stand out nicely.

Comment

how long it will last will depend on the velvet and how it is cared for. I like velveteen too but it "sheds" and never gives that nice thick pile that the acetate does. However you can wash it.. but one more thing I hate about velveteen (my first dress, and wedding dress is ivory velveteen) is that it wrinkles horribly and ironing it with beads on it sucks.
          The best I've worked with I bought at walmart and it was a short pile washable velveteen that was mostly polyester. that's my red skirt and leggings that I wear most of the time if I'm dancing.
          The problems with it though.. i
          t's on the thin side so I probably shoulda lined mine... cause when the light goes thorugh it.. you can see my legs outlined just fine. Two , it can wear out kinda quickly. And three.. if you use too hot of an iron or real hot steam.. you can melt it easily.
          The Pluses,
          well duh.. it's washable, two it can drip dry and still feel soft and wrinkles will fall out so you don't really need to use an iron or steam on it unless embossing it. You can't easily crush the pile so you don't get those crushed pile creases from sitting in the skirt. and it's easy to bead and has a nice finish to it. Also it's alot cooler than your heavier, lusher acetate winter velvets or velveteens.
          Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

OH wait.. tips...

when ironing the velvet, do it from the non pile or backside of the fabric, but put the fabric over a plush towel doubled over, use something like a cotton diaper on the backside or only lightly touch it with the iron with steam at it's lowest steam setting. Otherwise you'll crush acetate or deep pile velvets. Velveteens can take some abuse but will all of them always iron the wrong side of the fabric, not the pile side.
            Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

i use alot of upholstery velvet. It has a good hand, you can draw your design on the back, it lasts for ever, you have to back it, also it is reltivealy inexpensive, depending on type it has a ggod pile.

Comment

wow, i didnt expect this many answers, thanks.

it is gonna be a beat set for grass dance. i have always loved floral beadwork in grass dance, like Gabe Desrosiers (first that came to mind of the many others).

At first I was gonna use cloth as a background since it would take me forever to fully bead it. Than I figured, if im doing floral, go old time with appliqued flowers on velvet.

So it is gonna have a fancy colorful border with a line of rhinestones, velvet background and appliq flowers with vines and leaves. and on the sidedrops a contemp beaded design to fill in the wide spot.

The flowers will go around the drops up to the belt and around the belt and back down the other drop.

I have it all drawn out on canvas right now.

I was gonna back the velvet with canvas to stiffen it up.

But now that i think about it I may just apply the velvet background to the canvas, bead the border, overlapping the velvet, than apply the flowers and then fill in the vines.

My wife doesnt like the idea, thinks a fancy yellow brocade would be better. But I told her to zip it or Im not finishing her stuff! (even thought i like the brocade idea!)

I try to get a color design to post for all to see.
                and

Comment

on what everybody says. The only thing I didn't see mentioned is that when you cut velvet make sure to use pinking shears. It frays big time and if you use fray chek or something similar, it can make the color bleed.
                  Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

Originally posted by subeeds
                    on what everybody says. The only thing I didn't see mentioned is that when you cut velvet make sure to use pinking shears. It frays big time and if you use fray chek or something similar, it can make the color bleed.
                    Thats what a surger is for. Don't buy a machine without it.
                    Suzze

Comment

how bout hot glue?
                      and

Comment

i posted a photo of my ingenious beading method.
                        and

Comment

on the hot glue. I'm still trying to get the fused velvet/hot glue mix off the tile!!!LOL! Pinking shears or a serger like SuzzeQ4 said. No hot glue!!~!!!!!
                          Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.