No announcement yet.

Why do we wax the thread when beading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do we wax the thread when beading?

I am new to the world of beadaing and I was wondeing what we need to wax the thread for? Whata does it do, hold the beads better or something?

Thanks

April
    Respect your elders....Love your people.......
    Choctaw/Caddo/aborigini
    www.myspace.com/nativejournalist

none of my beezwax

Waxing your thread with beeswax will help prevent your thread from knotting and fraying while your doing your bead work. I wouldn't start a project without it. It still might frey a little with the wax but It definitely helps.
    Niin sa, Chi anung

Comment

I find if I don't wax my thread it tends to get frayed from pulling a whole length of thread in and out of the cloth repetitively (or back and forth through beads on a loom). Heavily waxed thread also seems more resistant to breaking when used to hold beads to a piece that gets a lot of wear and tear (like mocs).

Initially I did it because that was what I was taught. I have kept on using wax because waxed thread just seems to work better. (Also it is much easier to get tangles out of waxed thread!)

Comment

They've hit the nail on the head. It's a LOT easier to get knots out of waxes thread, than unwaxed thread. there have been times when I should have re-waxed my hread, but didn't, only to spend what seemed like hours trying to get a knot out. right now, I'm working on a poject using size D NYMO. It's white in color and seems to me that it's slicker than the colored NYMO thread. Waxing gives it some texture so it doesn't slip as much.
        Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

Waxing thread is actually an ancient ritual to cleanse the beadworker. It is a sacred sacrifice to the long chain hydrocarbon gods. It also wards off evil spirits such as Ocrap'aknot, Snagemon Chairleg, and Frizin Dewrongplace. Most importantly, it keeps the bead needle from rusting.

Comment

Originally posted by BeadMan
            Waxing thread is actually an ancient ritual to cleanse the beadworker. It is a sacred sacrifice to the long chain hydrocarbon gods. It also wards off evil spirits such as Ocrap'aknot, Snagemon Chairleg, and Frizin Dewrongplace. Most importantly, it keeps the bead needle from rusting.

There's just some thread that you HAVE to wax. But some to me seems prewaxed. The wax doesn't seem to stick, it doesn't fray, and isn't prone to knots. I have two big spools of it. I also have a big spool I inherited from my grandma and it can't be used without wax.
            ...it is what it is...

Comment

Thread Heaven!!!!!!

Bee's can keep their wax....
              Randy

Comment

Originally posted by randyinkc View Post
                Thread Heaven!!!!!!

lol...I am a big fan of waxing my thread..although when I couldn't find all of my what 3 discs of wax..I continued to bead without it...but I wouldn't recommend it..its just one of those things you gotta have to bead...sometimes I go crazee looking for wax...lol...or if I should forget it at home I buy another one at the pw...
                "Each of us is put here in this time and this place to personally decide the future of mankind. Did you think the Creator would create unnecessary people in such terrible danger? Know that you yourself are essential to this World."-A. Looking Horse

Comment

Originally posted by BeadMan View Post
                  It is a sacred sacrifice to the long chain hydrocarbon gods.
                  It does my black little p-chemist heart good to see there is another person making nerd jokes in here, LOL.

Comment

Waxing is great after you get done with an applique job because when you hit it with an iron it flattens out and the wax sets the pattern to hold like hair gel... sort of. Wax a lot for a better project!

Comment

Originally posted by randyinkc View Post
                      Thread Heaven!!!!!!

I use the stuff as well. My wife swears by it.
                      J.L. Benet

Comment

I've used both Thread Heaven and beeswax. For lazy stitch I prefer the wax because it gives a thicker coating. I feel the stuff helps protect the threads from all kinds of things including moisture and whatnot. In addition, the wax helps fill up the bead holes which gives lazy stitched beading some stiffness.

Many, many moons ago I tried beading with waxed dental floss. Not good. Frayed like no tomorrow.

Comment

Just wonderin...

Anyone ever use Kevlar thread? I have tried it and find that it freys a lot less, and is stronger than regular nylon

Anyone else use it?

Derek
                          I believe in something I want to believe, not what someone wants me to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by crazywolf View Post
                            Just wonderin...

Anyone ever use Kevlar thread? I have tried it and find that it freys a lot less, and is stronger than regular nylon

Anyone else use it?

Derek
                            I have used Kevlar before and didn't think much of it. It was alright, not much different, just more expensive.

Kevlar is in a sense a type of Nylon (polyamide). It is an Aramid (aromatic polyamide). So waxing should have about the same effect. I do not know if a bonded version of the thread is available as with Nymo.

I only say that to make OlChemist think I'm smart.

Comment

Originally posted by BeadMan View Post
                              I only say that to make OlChemist think I'm smart.
                              LOL

I've had a heck of a time getting knots to stay in the stuff without the thread cutting itself. There are funny knots you have to use, but since I flunked boy sprouts(in part 'cause I'm a girl, LOL)... There are people who swear by this stuff for bugle beads, since it resists cutting on the sharp edges.

Silamide and C-LON are all the rage in the non-Native beading world. And there is a new thread from Japan called KO, which some folks are starting to carry.

Silamide is a multiply, pre-conditioned nylon. I find the stuff hard to thread through the needle. Too much work for the extra fray resistance, IMHO. But, if you hate starting a new thread in gourd stitch worse than pushing a difficult thread through a needle, it might be a good thing to try. I know people who just love the stuff.

I think C-LON is another type of nylon thread. Several artists claim it's better than Nymo and about the same as Silamide.

I have no idea about the KO. I've only seen it list in a couple of catalogs.

There is gel-spun polypropylene. This is very fine and very tough for its weight and thickness. However, it frays like crazy. Also, some vendors tell you to keep it out of the sun -- not a good thing in powwow regalia.

For me, I'll stick with Nymo. I'm too cheap to pay for high-tech threads when I can get Nymo to work just fine with a little care. But your milage on the above opinion may vary.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.