looking for an easy way to draw out a geometric pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for an easy way to draw out a geometric pattern

I am in the middle of drawing up some designs for a lady and she wants geometric designs. I had a whole lot of patterns before, but I can't seem to find them and am not finding just want I want on the web. I want to draw a design with an eagle coming out of the middle ( I wonder if that makes sense it's late). If anyone has some good websites to get ideas let me know.

Thanks

What I usually do to come up with an original design is first picture it in my mind as best I can. Then sketch it out - it's usually VERY crude and I have a HARD TIME getting my thoughts out on the paper.

But then you have a starting point. Look through books, google images, anything....to get ideas for the geometric. Then put it away (so you don't copy) and start trying some out. Fold some paper, use a ruler and draw some lines...play around for about 15 minutes. I usually draw a bunch of stuff while riding in the car to town. Then on the way out, I pick the elements that I like best and try to refine them.

Then google some eagle images and see how you can adapt one for your design. How much of the geometric will be covered? How detailed do you want to be? How big will the finished design need to be? There's a myriad of considerations to ponder.

Coming up with designs is the hardest part for me. But then it's the most satisfying in the end. Good luck!
    ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by mom2ndngirls View Post
      I am in the middle of drawing up some designs for a lady and she wants geometric designs. I had a whole lot of patterns before, but I can't seem to find them and am not finding just want I want on the web. I want to draw a design with an eagle coming out of the middle ( I wonder if that makes sense it's late). If anyone has some good websites to get ideas let me know.

Thanks
      If you have Microsoft Word, try messing around with the autoshape toolbar. You can layout just about any kind of design you want and then flip it, shrink it, print it out. May not help you to get the Eagle design you want in the middle, but maybe if you try clipart. At least you can get a start on the layout of the geo design.
      Randy

Comment

I like looking at stain glass patterns as a place to start for geometric designs. Try google images with a search for stained glass eagle. You might find some inspiration there...

Last edited by between2worlds; 08-04-2007, 10:14 PM.

Comment

I have a eagle in front of a flag that I fully beaded ,its in the gallery, its from a stained glass pattern. Its being worn on a Gourd dance blanket and looks real goot.
          I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

I must be old skool! I get regular paper or poster paper, 30/60 and 45 degree plastic triangles, and an engineering ruler...

and a pencil with an eraser!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
              I must be old skool! I get regular paper or poster paper, 30/60 and 45 degree plastic triangles, and an engineering ruler...

Hi there JD! I do that too I have my own rulers,pencils stuffs like that. When I did the eagle it was brought to me to do I liked it. BUt im always "seeing" designs and go to my paper to get it down before I forget it.
              I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post

and a protractor, compass and a good set of french curves... although since my "spare time" usually occurs while I'm waiting on some computer process to finish running, I end up using the 'puter.

Spoiled, I know, but "delete layer" is so much easier than all that erasing!

I do keep a steno notebook in my backpack so I can make q & d sketches when I'm offline.

Comment

thanks all. I have a somewhat design in my head so I am going to take some advice from here and concentrate on trying to get it out of my head and onto paper.

Thanks again

Comment

I have a hard time gettin stuff in my head on paper too...LOL so ive pretty much gave up trying...i start with center lines...center horizontal and center vertical where you want to start your geo...then start at the middle point and start building....stop take looks and move forward again...

even if i try to draw it out...it comes out different anywayz...lol
                    ~.~ A friend is~.~

" someone who can sing the song in your heart, even when you have forgotten the words...;)"

Comment

I would try any of the above ideas and for the geometrics, don't forget quilting patterns.
                      Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

Ok try breaking down a photo, if thats where you decide to go, by turning it into a grid by centimeters follow the genral geometrics in that little square instead of looking at the entire bird.

Comment

Graph paper works good, with the eagle draw onto maybe some tracing paper....cut & paste, or scan resize and print. theres always away around things.
                          "Out greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, our greatest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us."

"Never Compromise yourself, Your all you've got"

"An eye for an eye will only lead to a blind world."

Comment

Lol I'm old skool as well. I even got my own sketch book, pencil crayons, Geometry set, lol the whole nine yards. I also use poster paper for the bigger designs.
                            What does one do when one falls?...One remembers how one fell and then gets back up and keeps on going
                            I don't believe in New Years Resolutions. I believe in Life Changing Resolutions.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X