Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wyo_rose
    replied
    Ouch! $9 is TOO HIGH!! I got mine for about $4 for the little tube at the ShoBan Trading Post (Clothes Horse). Of course this was several years ago.

Leave a comment:

• billyjoejimbob
    replied
    Fire Mt Gems is around $3.18 for 7.5 grams. $18 for 50grams.

Leave a comment:

• FluteMaker
    replied
    Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
    Delicas are beautiful, but I agree with the above: they tend to have sharp edges, the finish can wear off, they have huge holes, AND they're more expensive.
    holy crap are they expensive!! i just got back from picking up some beads. i got 4 colors.....11/0's.....30gram tubes $2 each. i took a look at the delicas and i didnt realize they were that much more. same colors in 15 gram tubes were 9$ each. is that the standard price differential?

Leave a comment:

• Sweetsage02
    replied
    I'm glad I came upon this thread...came in handy cuz I was just having some bead questions myself!! Thanks all!

Leave a comment:

• Czechy
    replied
    I agree with all that's been said here and don't have much more to add.

Delicas look great if sewn in lazy stitch but can look kinda chunky if you are doing curvy applique beading. Maybe instead of using Delicas you can buy some 12/o Czech cut beads for you design elements. Those will give you a nice bit of sparkle against an unfaceted background.

I've always bought my half and full kilos from Shipwreck. They have the best prices I have found. Once in a while General Bead (genbead.com) has a great sale price but that's been happening less and less.

Yeah, canvas or duck cloth is great stuff. Cheap, breathable, tolerates moisture and holds stitches well.

Leave a comment:

• Emmy
    replied
    Originally posted by The Rat View Post
    One more beginner question (for now),

What are your suggestions for the best material to tack the beads onto for a fancy set?

i would use craft cloth from joanns (i think thats what its called) the edges dont fray. and its very sturdy and light weight.

Leave a comment:

• BeadMan
    replied
    Flutemaker, I use shipwreck beads and while I do cull a few, I don't think it is any more than the other places I buy from. I even bought the loose turquoise beads because they were half the price of the ones on a hank, and even they are not that bad. I guess it depends on how picky you are. I mostly do loomwork and applique and they work great for me. Like I said, you get the occasional "hot dog", super thin, or bead with a little tumor on the side, but I really don't think it is that much. Out of a full half kilo I maybe toss one loop of one hank, I never really measured it though.

This place is so cheap because they use the Walmart principle and buy in massive bulk straight from the manufacturer. Many of the smaller bead suppliers in the US buy from shipwreck and others and then mark them up again. They are the same exact beads that many other traders buy from. There are 3 big bead importers in the US that I know of and this is one of them.

Leave a comment:

• FluteMaker
    replied
    ok,i looked at the shipwreck beads web page and the price tags are a little more than half of what some other places cost but hows the quality of the beads? am i gonna have to cull half of them out ?

Leave a comment:

• wyo_rose
    replied
    Canvas. You can find varying weights, thicknesses, and weaves. Our local Ag store has about 4 different kind - 60" wide and the best deal around. (Makes me want to sew my own tipi)

Either cut the pieces with a seam allowance and turn the edges under and tack them in place. Or cut them to size and hand sew bias tape over the raw edges.

Leave a comment:

• The Rat
    replied
    One more beginner question (for now),

What are your suggestions for the best material to tack the beads onto for a fancy set?

Leave a comment:

• FluteMaker
    replied
    i got this outa last years crazycrow catologue;
    czech beads....
    10/0 130-square inch
    11/0 187 square inch
    12/0 228 square inch
    13/0 273 square inch
    14/0 298 square inch
    16/0 570 square inch

granted,those are only averages but thats the kind of coverage you can expect from czech beads

Leave a comment:

• The Rat
    replied
    Originally posted by spottedeagle View Post
    Go with Seed Beads from Shipwreck and send half of what you are saving to me!!!!
    Aye, forgot about the Spotted Eagle Tax ;-)

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. This is really helpful.

Leave a comment:

• spottedeagle
    replied
    Originally posted by BeadMan View Post
    I did some number crunching based on Wyo-rose's figure. Fire Mt Gem delicas would cost on average $483 depending on which beads you use (I only averaged regular colors, no fancy beads) Shipwrech beads if you go by my earlier estimate with 1k background and 8 half kilos for design it comes to about $145. That's about 1/3 the cost.
    Go with Seed Beads from Shipwreck and send half of what you are saving to me!!!!

Leave a comment:

• BeadMan
    replied
    I did some number crunching based on Wyo-rose's figure. Fire Mt Gem delicas would cost on average $483 depending on which beads you use (I only averaged regular colors, no fancy beads) Shipwrech beads if you go by my earlier estimate with 1k background and 8 half kilos for design it comes to about $145. That's about 1/3 the cost.

Leave a comment:

• chazziff
    replied
    Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
    Delicas are beautiful, but I agree with the above: they tend to have sharp edges, the finish can wear off, they have huge holes, AND they're more expensive.

I always go with seed beads, which I think hold up better and don't fade. But I have to say, I see an outfit around made years ago from delicas and it still looks GREAT from a distance.

If you're stuck on delicas, for 10 square inches (1"x10") it will take about 15 grams (2850 beads). For 1152 square inches (8 sq feet), it will take 1728 grams or about 173 10-gram tubes!!!!!!
    thats alot of beads and can u imagine what thats gonna cost?!?

i agree .. delicas are good for small intricate items .. like earrings and barrettes. but for a whole outfit .. thats a MAJOR undertaking to say the least ..

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.