Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kamama
    replied
    Here is a few links that may be able to help you out.
    Brick Stitch Instructions - Kimberly Chapman's Beading Brick stitch....
    eBay Guides - Basic Peyote Stitch Beading Tutorial even count flat peyote....
    Stitches - Beading on Needlepointers.com - Beadwork and Jewelry Making > Stitches - Beading this one has links for many different types of stitches. I hope you can fins something in here to help.

When I first started beading (self-taught as well) I started off with what is called a daisy-chain necklace. Got comfortable with that, then started exploring more. It takes time, and patience, LOTS of patience. Dont give up, take breaks, and keep at it.

Leave a comment:

• FluteMaker
    replied
    ive seen stuff that it looks like that is indeed what they did.
    dont discount the loom work as easy though..... it can be just as tedious and easy to screw up as any other tecnique

Leave a comment:

• powellcreek
    replied
    Originally posted by FluteMaker View Post
    dunno...never tried it.

peyote can be very versitile, alot of people start with loom work, but for doing a beaded set you may be all the better off for knowing as much as you can before you even start
    this probably sounds like a stupid question.. but with the loom, do you just transfer the beadwork to a backing? (or whatever other material for what you're making.)

Leave a comment:

• FluteMaker
    replied
    dunno...never tried it.

peyote can be very versitile, alot of people start with loom work, but for doing a beaded set you may be all the better off for knowing as much as you can before you even start

Leave a comment:

• powellcreek
    replied
    i think i'm going to order a dvd from noc bay. the only i don't know is which stitch instruction to order. i plan on making myself a dance set, once i get the hang of things. i'll probably start with a barette or something. do i order lazy stich, peyote, or medallions beadwork?
    also, noc bay has a beading "foundation" that says : "Stiff as cardboard with a felt like texture, an excellent flat beading surface for rosettes and applique without embroidery hoops or backing. Can be dyed." is this sufficient to bead directly on to and turn into a barette or whatever else?

Leave a comment:

• FluteMaker
    replied
    noc bay even has pdf's of projects you can download for free with instructions and material lists

Leave a comment:

• Czechy
    replied
    If you really want personal instruction, then try the bead store near you or a Michael's craft store for classes. But the fees for such classes generally are not cheap. Less expensive options would be to find beading books at the library (there are sooo many now) or check out the nicely done videotapes on peyote, lazy stitch or applique beading put out by Full Circle productions. Noc Bay, Crazy Crow and Written Heritage and other powwow suppliers carry these and you can purchase online if you wish.

Leave a comment:

• powellcreek
    replied
    Originally posted by FluteMaker View Post
    10/0's might be easier to start with, theyre certainly easier to get. pretty much all the craft stores have them. and dont worry about the limited color selection, unless youre going to order your beads no too many stores are going to have much more in stock. some bead stores offer classes you can take to learn the different stiches doing a set project, but once you learn the stitch you can plan projects of your own.

i see youre in VA, theres a place near fredericksburg...not too far off 95, called beads on parade you might try. last time i was there they had a decent selection of 11/0 beads and offered quite a few classes

i live only about 15 minutes from fredericksburg so that's great... i'll have to look it up. thanx a lot!

Leave a comment:

• FluteMaker
    replied
    10/0's might be easier to start with, theyre certainly easier to get. pretty much all the craft stores have them. and dont worry about the limited color selection, unless youre going to order your beads no too many stores are going to have much more in stock. some bead stores offer classes you can take to learn the different stiches doing a set project, but once you learn the stitch you can plan projects of your own.

i see youre in VA, theres a place near fredericksburg...not too far off 95, called beads on parade you might try. last time i was there they had a decent selection of 11/0 beads and offered quite a few classes

Leave a comment:

• Eagle Plumes
    replied
    Hi, I agree with NOA and Spottedeagle one thing I would add is start small that way you can finnish it and have something to show for your hard work. Then work your way up. I prefer flatwork or some call applique stitch, but i can do lazy and also Peyote stitch. Practice and before you know it you will be beading like a pro! good luck and let us know if you need help ive beaded a few things here and there lol

Leave a comment:

• NorthofAda
    replied
    Originally posted by powellcreek View Post
    thanx very much, both of you!

by the way...NorthofAda..i LOVE your psalm 23 translation, it's beautiful.
    Thanks powellcreek! Good luck with the beading. I've found it strangely addictive and relaxing...

Leave a comment:

• powellcreek
    replied
    thanx very much, both of you!

by the way...NorthofAda..i LOVE your psalm 23 translation, it's beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• NorthofAda
    replied
    I've only been beading for a year now, and my first project was a hair barrette. I got a lot of help from one of the tutorials spottedeagle mentioned.

Here's a link...

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/tut...roduction.html

Leave a comment:

• spottedeagle
    replied
    First pick a type of beadwork you want to learn. This might depend on what you are wanting to bead. Somethings require cetain types of beadwork or may be easier to bead with a certain type of beadwork. You might also want to pick up some beads (don't go crazy buying tons of beads yet) Get some nymo and some needles. I suggest size 11 seed beads to learn with.
    If there is a bead store near you they may have classes. if not their are tutorials on here with several types of beadwork that members have put together. The videos from inner circle are decent too. They do the demonstrations with pony beads so you can really see what they are doing

Leave a comment:

• powellcreek
    started a topic start to bead?

start to bead?

so i guess i'll be brave and say that i don't know how to bead. and... i really wanna learn how! apparently my grandpa is one beadin' foo' but he lives all the way in Texas and I'm on the east coast.
    obviously it would be easier to learn from a person but right now that's not a possibility. so there's tapes, and books, and i even googled it, and frankly it's horribly confusing lol
    what would ya'll suggest to get me started?
    thanx!

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X