Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrapped Beadwork

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wrapped Beadwork

    I'm not sure what the proper name is....but I'm trying to figure out how to bead on a cord for like a necklace/medalion. I can't even describe it, I'll have to try and find a photo and post it!

  • #2
    I believe what you are looking for is a tutorial on peyote stitch. Look in the beadwork threads or google peyote stitch.
    I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Nah I'm pretty sure wrapped stitch and peyote stitch are two different stiches.


      This pen is beaded in peyote stitch...

      http://www.tuspirits.com/images/beadpen1464.jpg


      And this necklace is done in wrapped stitch...

      http://www.powwows.com/gathering/cla...uct=1806&cat=3

      But either one you could probably bead on a cord just depends on if you want a simpler or more complicated design.
      Last edited by SmilezAlot; 09-11-2008, 10:44 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by soopashinaab View Post
        I believe what you are looking for is a tutorial on peyote stitch. Look in the beadwork threads or google peyote stitch.
        Yah u tell em daddy

        Yes, those are two totally different styles of beadwork. The wrapped style is definately the second picture.
        Last edited by Canada#1; 09-12-2008, 12:35 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yes, the 3 tier necklace is the stitch I'm referring to! I did receive some helpful tips via PM. I truly do appreciate it!!

          If I'm successful at doing this stitch...I'll have to share my final product and I'll upload a photo!

          Comment


          • #6
            Please do share. Pics as well as instructions.

            When I wrap, I like to stagger the entry/exits and go back thru a bead or two. Does everyone do this?
            ...it is what it is...

            Comment


            • #7
              I start with a strand of slightly bigger beads as a core and then take smaller ones to wrap outside. Example size 10 as the core and then 11 as the outside ones. The beads outside roll over the edge and gives a great solid finish and looks better than the peyote stitch and is a bit more flexible and stronger too!
              Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

              It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

              Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
              Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hello.....I saw some nice pics of beaded hoop earrings and would like to give it a stab and make a pair. Should I use the peyote stitch? In the pics I saw, it looked like this stitch but I really am not too sure. Thanks.
                *[email protected]*

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tibiki Kinew View Post
                  I start with a strand of slightly bigger beads as a core and then take smaller ones to wrap outside. Example size 10 as the core and then 11 as the outside ones. The beads outside roll over the edge and gives a great solid finish and looks better than the peyote stitch and is a bit more flexible and stronger too!


                  Now that has me totally confuzzled.
                  "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    never been shown how to do the wrapped beading, I'd love a "how to" on this.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Okay for those that are coming to Golden Lake powwow this year and know me, I will be teaching this necklace style of beading and as well the Sacred Wampum stitch that Grandmother has revived!
                      The bead covering stitch is supper easy once you start you can make a real sturdy necklace that won't rip on you, as well it not only looks professional but you can make it to any lenght you want and wrap it around your neck repeatedly to get a multi-layer effect too! If you know how to make 3-d pendants they can be attached directly into the beadwork and become a part of and not look like it was just added on!
                      The big trick is to use 2 sizes of beads that are a few sizes apart from each other!
                      The core needs to have the bigger bead while the outside coating or cover gets the smaller beads.

                      So Suzzzzzzzzzzzzzz once you come to the powwow this year, you can make these and have a new line to make for your area!!!!
                      Oh, and I talked to a few of the ladies, they will be glad to do teachings right in my home, so visit any time and stay inside or outside in tents. No matter where you are from, we will be glad to have you visit and show you the old traditional stitches that I mentioned here!!!
                      Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

                      It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

                      Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
                      Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Tibiki Kinew View Post
                        Okay for those that are coming to Golden Lake powwow this year and know me, I will be teaching this necklace style of beading and as well the Sacred Wampum stitch that Grandmother has revived!
                        The bead covering stitch is supper easy once you start you can make a real sturdy necklace that won't rip on you, as well it not only looks professional but you can make it to any lenght you want and wrap it around your neck repeatedly to get a multi-layer effect too! If you know how to make 3-d pendants they can be attached directly into the beadwork and become a part of and not look like it was just added on!
                        The big trick is to use 2 sizes of beads that are a few sizes apart from each other!
                        The core needs to have the bigger bead while the outside coating or cover gets the smaller beads.

                        So Suzzzzzzzzzzzzzz once you come to the powwow this year, you can make these and have a new line to make for your area!!!!
                        Oh, and I talked to a few of the ladies, they will be glad to do teachings right in my home, so visit any time and stay inside or outside in tents. No matter where you are from, we will be glad to have you visit and show you the old traditional stitches that I mentioned here!!!
                        Cool, thanks! I'm going have to spend an extra few days on the rez in order to visit everyone...or bring up some soup and icecream and visit you all at the same time

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have lots of food, so don't bother bringing more! I will gladly have you visit for a spell and feel at home while you are here!

                          The company will be nice too considering how many are now planning to visit here this year!
                          Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

                          It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

                          Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
                          Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hey Mato ! Confused, heck it is easy as pie, you start with a thick core of big beads and then do the wampum stitch and cover the core! I guess once I start sharing the teachings in a bead circle with ladies from both sides of the 49th the stitches will live on again!
                            AND no not brick, lane, lazy or peyote!

                            Evenstar... to answer you, yes some hoops get covered in size 15 beads in the peyote stitch if you cover the hoop completely.
                            If only attaching them on the top outside surface part of the hoop you don't use that stitch you go through one bead, wrap the thread around the hoop then add the next bead and again wrap around the hoop, when you get to the top of the hoop interlace the thread to the exiting thread so that it remains tight! So in clearer tech, after you come out of the bead, wrap it around the hoop, then go between the last bead and the hoop in the wee gap and pull the thread through there, then add the next bead. This solidifies the thread and bead combo so that it doesn't slip over the edges!
                            Hope this helps!
                            Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

                            It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

                            Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
                            Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              And wampum stitch is????? All I know is that each individual bead is stitched to its neighbors....if that's right.

                              As for wrapped stitch, Suzze, piece of cake, but probably hard to explain. A rope is easy to wrap stitch, or anything a needle will go through. If it's something hard, cover in buckskin. Put your needle through where you want the first row to be. Load on enough beads to go around without bunching up. Wrap around and go back through the first bead. (or two if you have A LOT) Pull tight and push the needle through where it exited the beads and come back up somewhere along the line where the next row should be. Repeat.

                              If your first row is kinda floppy or somewhere where it's not bordered by something that will keep it tight, you'll probably want to go around and tack it every 2-3 beads. Then it's a whole row at a time after that, which sure beats a bead at a time.
                              ...it is what it is...

                              Comment

                              Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                              Loading...

                              Trending

                              Collapse

                              There are no results that meet this criteria.

                              Sidebar Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X