No announcement yet.

how much should I charge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This would be a $40 dollar barrette on my table.

Comment

The Wampum stitch is also known by the Migmaw under the Four Direction Stitch and it is so simple when you see it only hard to explain without visual aids. I have taught many people this ancient beading way and all of them refuse to touch the loom any more. Depending where you are I may be able to refer you to one or two people that have spent the time learning from me or other members within my circle.

A vietnam vet was stuborn about his prized loom work. We did a comparison, his stretched and shifted. Mine stayed firm.

I cut mine in half and did not loose one bead, yep you are reading correctly, not one. I cut his in half and watched the horror in his face as hours of work fell apart.

Then I resewed the cut joint and then just cut the thread, again no KNOTS at all. To show him just how effective this way was I asked him to cut out s single bead that may have been inserted incorrectly say by colour tint or whatever. Just cut all the threads around that one bead and replace the one bead with the same stitch by starting a few rows over and then feeding in the missing bead then slide over a row or two and cut the thread, again no KNOTS, it will not come apart.

Back to the Vet, He has given all his looms away and now refuses to even work with one. He makes his stuff anywhere he can sit, yes even when he sits at Powwows he gets started and looses sight of time. He now teaches down in Vermont!

His work has improved so much that he is now selling double of what he first did as a dedicated loomer! His prices have gone up a wee bit but considering that you can gurantee this beadwork from not falling apart is hard to ignore.

A Grandmother came last year and spent a week with me at the Lake, I showed her the stitch and she was amazed, this year she came back with a 3-d piece done in various sizes of sead beads, from 10's right to 15's a tulip bud in real size with all the parts inside. The stamen and all very intense and very realistic. She said that this stitch took her outside of the box and freed her to do the art she dreamt of all these years. She does this freehand as flat work to, where others do the lane stitch or lazy stitch, she now does the whole pattern of an embroidered idea and then lays the finished piece down and attaches it to the project after she completes it. Flowers on twigs, with multiple twist and turns all done as she flies, the needle and beads come together. She looked at one piece done in Peyote and transfered that too and it looks better. Her mind has reached new levels of intrigue and she is now showing her work to those that want to learn. She is all over the world right now as she gets her invitations!
      Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
      Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Originally posted by creekfairy View Post
        I have a friend (from online) that has saw my beadwork and asked if I could make her a barette and she would pay me for it... I found a few patterns/designs that I could do... showed her and she picked one...
        I just dont know how much to charge her for it...
        anyhoo heres the barette...
        what do ya'll think? how much should I charge her?
        Awesome!! Is sell for 40 a piece. Are they all the same size?
        I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

I am really interested in learning the Wampum stitch.
          Also I paid $45.00 for my barrettes 10 years ago! So $50 and above is good price!
          Sherry

Comment

I guess I need to make a video! Darn! Doing this in person would be soooooo much easier!
            Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.

Comment

Tibiki, Don't be so fast to judge everyone's loom beadwork based on the poor craftsmanship of others. I'll put my loom weaving up against any other form and I know many others who would do the same. What it comes down to in my book is the time it takes to do the work. I've done a full mens fancy dance set in a week on a loom. Loom beadwork is very strong if you just take the effort to do it right. I am a bit suspect of the historic examples you cite as being made in "wampum stitch." Do you have specific examples or photographes to enlighten us?

Comment

Sorry for these sacred belts being carried by an Elder of 95 years, he does not permit pictures! He carries 7 treaty belts from the Ontario/Quebec region. He lets you look at them and touch them and hold them, even sketch them but NO PICS! So we go by his wishes.
                I hope that it doesn't sound too overbearing about comparing loom work with the Stitch, but I for one am not the only one that was a traditional loomer, I gave up on the loom once a thread broke and spilt lots of beads and I had to repair it. Now for all the years of the Wampum stitch I have never ever had to fix a piece. This stitch which is so old has had its reason for surviving so long, treaties changed, things added and dropped, the belts needed to reflect that too, so without making a new one, some of these belts were altered and the section was cut out and replaced in the same way. Loomed belts last too, but once they get broken threads they do loose beads! With the Wampum stitch each and every bead gets to see thread 4 times, making it that much stronger and last just like the belts being carried by Grandfather!

No disrespect intended but I have seen and done and changed my mind years ago! I have loom work that is over 50 years old and it shows even from a good maker that it tends to shift!
                Again no disrespect intended just facts seen by those doing this stitch!

Comment

Could you maybe show us an example?
                  Thanks, Marnie

Comment

Wampum stitch

i have tried researching the internet for the Wampum stitch with no luck, i keep getting the peyote. I thought that i could get a jump start on learning this while you were putting together a lesson for us. Is this stitch anything like the peyote? Have you thought about doing a video like on you tube or expert village?
                    Sherry

Comment

No the peyote is not the same, remember that the beads line up, in this stitch it is even more precise and they get locked inot place. Take a look at the bag that I have in my album it is done with the Wampum stitch. I compared it with the brck stitch and ladder stitch, they are all different!
                      As per doing a video, darn I wouldn't know where to start on that! Just sitting and showing would be sooooooooo easy! I wish that I could get some one to to that with me!

Comment

Tibiki I want to know now too! There are some things I like to loom, but this wampum stitch sounds amazing.
                        And I agree with Beadman that good loomwork looks amazing, but ya cant cut out beads & replace them.
                        Of course my husband would be dissapointed if I stopped using my loom cause the one he made me is amazing.

Comment

Tibiki,
                          I ran into a fella over the summer from, I think, Madeline (sp?) Island (someone referred to it as the Canadian version of Oklahoma) that had some reproduction pieces, I did get a good look at one and couldn't figure out the stitch.

As for a video, all you really have to do is get someone to tape you doing it, but explain what you are doing as you are doing it. I have a ribbonwork video that someone made and that's all it is.

Comment

If you are searching by "wampum stitch" I doubt if you will find anything as this is the first time I have heard it called such. Non-native beadworkers often call it "square stitch" or "off-loom beadwork" The latter term is rather poor. I have eroneously heard it called "Comanche Stitch" before but that guy was a complete idiot and teaches the dumbest things I have ever seen to a lot of people. Try this link:

Standard Square Stitch Beading Tutorial

Comment

Also referred to as ladder stitch.
                              I figured when Tibiki mentioned multiple passes, from the one time I have seen a reproduction belt I thought it was a little more like regular looking.

And Bead Man, I have heard it referred to as Comanche stitch (by Comanches no less) but then again, we call it peyote stitch cause to prevent arguments it would have to be called Kiowa-Apache-Quapaw-Osage-Comanche stitch.

Comment

I've used that tubular stitch for earrings. soon as i saw the tutorial I was like "oh I know that" Is this the stitch your refering to Tibiki? It is very secure. Never thought of using it for belts, but it would work well.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X