a fully beaded outfit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a fully beaded outfit

How much would you charge for everything..moccs/sidedrops/cuffs/legbands/armbands/partially beaded breechcloth....

if they provided all the materials????? if not????
    "I don't know why you never tried to tell me I was the one for you, I'm telling you my love is true and you're the only one for me -NC

I'm not crazy I'm jus a little impaired I know right now you don't care but soon enough you're gonna think of me and how I used to be I'm not crazy jus a little unwell...-matchbox 20

I think the only way to be fair to yourself is to determine what your time is worth. Keep an honest log of time spent, factor in or out the materials used or provided at a fair cost, some items can't be replaced... out of stock beads, etc... don't know if this helps... good luck
    remember you are tommorow's elders

Comment

For myself, I would consider what size beads (size 13's versus size 10's or 9's--big difference), how intricate the design was (lots of colors, different directions of beading, etc.), how quickly the person wanted the work done, and most importantly, would this person really appreciate and use the beadwork in a good way! When I charge for my work (which isn't often), I usually ask $200 for adult size moccs, $200 for cuffs, $400 for women's leggings, and so on. Probably $1000 to $1500 for what you described and hopefully the person could wait 3-4 months. I prefer to buy all my own materials.

Comment

I agree. Those sound like reasonable prices. And I hate it when someone asks for a price, then how much if they get the supplies. You never know what kind of stuff they're going to get you. OH the stories I could tell!
        ...it is what it is...

Comment

Yes, isn't it sad how beadworkers can be stiffed...and knowing how much time, effort, heart, and soul you put into the work! An elder lady told me to always think good and happy thoughts when I beaded so it would go into the work and it would go easier. You see people at pow-wows all the time, beading away. That's one of the things that keeps the pow-wow dancing going. It's a thrill for me to to see people wearing my work such as at pow-wows, ceremonials, etc. That's the best payment of all. I do have a lot of respect for people who bead for a living, because that's a big commitment.

Comment

I would get your own materials. Twice i have made something (sewing in both cases) with material someone bought without me. The one time I was told the material would be trade cloth & they were getting it because the closest place for me to get it is 2 hours away, instead they got felt, regular felt. If you end up with cheap materials or beads your work won't look as good. If they want to buy the I tell them to take me along so I can tell them what will and won't work.

Comment

thx for all of the great replies..yeh I usually don't do beading orders b/c some people can get really out of hand..well sometimes if they buy the stuff then I know that they are very serious about this...plus if they don't buy what I want then I can either send them back lol or I can ask to get it..but if they don't come up with the items then I know they aren't serious bout it...I am very busy with other things right now..so I bead when I can...I have finished some stuff that needed to be done but thats for my family..I don't do other's beading this is the second time I've been asked to do a men's traditional outfit..we'll see how it goes...I have been asked to do others, but I politely decline..in about a hundred yrs..lol..jk but yeh...he's pretty good about payment/materials..etc..n he does take care of it..I did one before for him and I don't mind b/c he's not the type to rush things..he's very patient, but that was b/f I got really busy too...
              "I don't know why you never tried to tell me I was the one for you, I'm telling you my love is true and you're the only one for me -NC

I'm not crazy I'm jus a little impaired I know right now you don't care but soon enough you're gonna think of me and how I used to be I'm not crazy jus a little unwell...-matchbox 20

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X