Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How could I go about making a full set for fancy dancing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How could I go about making a full set for fancy dancing?

I'm relatively new to beading and I just wanted to hear different prefences for beading techniques for the headband, choker with drop, suspenders, cuffs, belt, and peyoted whip sticks. Mainly how to go about making them and specifically how to loom the cuffs(though I may just lazy stitch them), and how to make the drop for the choker. I tend to prefer loomed items over lazy stitch. Thank you for any imput you can give.

Well if you want to loom instead first you need a good loom, not one of those store bought ones, find someone with a good loom to show you how to make one, or advertise here in the wanted section for one. I prefer the ones where you can adjust the length, I had my husband make it. I also like the ones where you string the loom over a big fat metal screw (or something, mines about a half inch thick) I like this way better then the ones where you string between beads for spacing. My loom holds about 100 beads across and is almost 4 feet long.
    Once you got that you need all your supplies. then someone to show you how to loom. It's real easy, it's the first type of beading I teach my kids, so don't worry, when I say easy, I mean easy.
    When your all done, then you got to learn about tying it all off and sewing it down. different people got different ways.

Actually, give me a few days and i'll go over it with you and include some pics.
    Last edited by SuzzeQ4; 01-12-2009, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Most all my stuff is Lane Stitch, except :
      Headband and drops, belt = loom
      rosettes for arm & back bustles = flat stitch
      dance sticks & loose fan = wrap stitch
      whistle = peyote
      "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." JW

Comment

oops, you did also want peoples preferences.

I mostly use double needle or loom, but not always. Like lostsalt it depends what I am doing.

Comment

How would I get an angle on the cuffs?

Comment

Originally posted by powwowdancer7 View Post
            How would I get an angle on the cuffs?
            Drop beads where you want the angle.

Comment

loom beading 101

Ok first is stringing the loom. the piece I'm doing is 41 beads, so I need 42 strings.
              Some people string it real tight. DON'T. Here's why, pulling the strings tight stretches them until you cut them off the loom when your done beading. Then the strings go back to their natural length and your work doesn't look as good.
              So you want it just taunt enough that the strings don't sag and be all loose, but not so that your stretching them. I have a pic of mine strung and a finger pressing on the strings to show the 'give'.
              Excuse my photography...I haven't figured out how to use the flash yet, but the rest of the pics are better (the sun came through the window)
              Attached Files

Comment

BEADS
                you want good uniform beads. I usually use a size 11 or 10 seed czech bead. But I got some japanese beeds seed and delica (both size 11) on this I am using the delicas. They are super fantastic and I am switching over. I have never seen such perfect beads.

Starting. I tie the string on the outside string (this is the only tie, after this the ends will all be woven in.
                I bead left to right (some go right to left).
                I pull the row of beads under the strings. Push them each up between the strings. Put the needles back through the beads (right to left now) making sure my needle goes over all the strings. Once my needle is back through each bead I push up on the strings (from the bottom) to make sure I didn't miss any.

When I got the first 2 rows on I go back through the 1st then second row again to secure them.

I find the first 2 rows fussy, put then it's easy. (If the kids are beading I do the 1st 2 rows for them)
                Attached Files

Comment

Ok so now your loom beading....until your thread runs out.

So before your thread gets to short put your needle through the last few beads of your last row, then back down the next row. Then back up to the row you just did (so you have gone in a circle) then pull the needle down through the bottom of your bead work leaving a tail on the bottom (in the middle) of your bead work.

To add new thread do the same (circling around different beads) and comming out the last finished row of beads all ready to continue.
                  These pics are me weaving the end of the thread through the work.
                  Attached Files

Comment

the next pic is the bottom of the bead work with the ends of my thread.

So when the kids and I are done I'll show you how I tie off my ends and attach the loom beading to my backing.

Oh like I said to make the angles you were asking about just drop a bead each row (41, 40, 38 etc).
                    To make a triangular point drop a bead on each side, each row.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Okay. Approximately how many beads wide would it be for an inch in 11/0?

Comment

okay. Approximately how many beads wide would it be for an inch in 11/0?

Comment

So the piece you were making is about 2" wide? What's it for? It's really nice.

Comment

So the piece you were making is about 2" wide? What's it for? It's really nice.
                            Thanks.
                            Yes its just over 2 inches wide. It will be side drops for one of my sons. I'll post a pic when its done so you see how I finish it off.

Comment

Okay. Thank you for your help.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.