Full beaded belt...how much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full beaded belt...how much?

I'm making a set with belt included I have all of the other prices worked out but the belt is tough. It's going to be about 32" L x 3" W at certain points finished with buckskin backing and fully edged. Depending on the finished design I'm guessing about 7 to 8 intricate medallions and either lane or lazy stitch in between. I figure it will take probably 4 weeks of my time. It's for a friend but I still need to get paid....is 400 to high? Thanks:)

Ok so I've had some polite & nice feedback saying that 400 is too much but when you consider supplies and the at least 7 medallions @ 50 each the price goes up fast. I've seen crowns go for 250 and up. Does anyone else struggle with this...I'm new at making beadwork for sale usually it's been fam.
    Last edited by pouaouagan; 02-17-2009, 02:11 PM.

$400 is NOT too much. It took you a whole month and that's less than minimum wage not counting supplies.

In reality, it's whatever the market will bear. If you don't get $400 from whoever ordered it, you sure could from someone else. Not that you would since it's custom ordered.

I struggle with this all the time too, especially with family and friends. Someitmes it causes hard feelings, but geez - most people don't know how much time goes into it.
    ...it is what it is...

Comment

I have seen several posts on here about how to figure out how much to charge
      I agree though $400 is not too much to ask for
      The problem is when its friends or family they want the "family discount" and would only pay say $150 or $200 if that....

Maybe too late, but I like to tell them up front what the costs will be so there is no sticker shock that is for sure!
      ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
      Till I Die!

Comment

Thanks so much for all of the helpful replies. I talked it over with her and honestly told her that I wasn't sure how much to charge. She told me she would pay 400 at the most which I thought was very generous of her. She's a super~sweet lady and is very appreciative of the work I do for her. I'll post a pic of it when finish.

Comment

Don't take less than $400.00 !!!! It is your art/craftsmanship and most importantly your time/work that you need to be paid fairly for !!! My dad has a favorite saying when it comes to art/craftworks "You can't buy this at Walmart " , whether it's a pair of moccasins or ribbonwork outfit , etc....

http://spaces.msn.com/members/purplemartins/

Comment

Originally posted by waleli View Post
            Don't take less than $400.00 !!!! It is your art/craftsmanship and most importantly your time/work that you need to be paid fairly for !!! My dad has a favorite saying when it comes to art/craftworks "You can't buy this at Walmart " , whether it's a pair of moccasins or ribbonwork outfit , etc....

I AGREE COMPLETELY!!

$400 for a fully beaded belt is cheap...really cheap. Might as well just give it away if you're selling it for that much in my opinion.

Bead artists...and that's exactly what we are...artists...never get paid for the time it takes to do our art.

People always are trying to get something for nothing. I'd say bead artists work, on average, for about $3/hour tops...those are the ones who can crank it out pretty quickly.

How many jobs would you take at $3/hour? You'd laugh at the person...this is no different.

People have no problems taking their SUVs into the mechanic who'll charge them a few hundred bucks for an hour job, but they haggle over beadwork...doesn't make sense.
            I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Wojapi4Me View Post
              I AGREE COMPLETELY!!

$400 for a fully beaded belt is cheap...really cheap. Might as well just give it away if you're selling it for that much in my opinion.
              I totally agree... 400 is not a high price especially for the detail that you described. I would love to see pics when you are finished.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X