Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Satin the Beaded

Hi..
    Help and advice needed if you would be so kind :)
    I have always wore satin leggings, and i want to go over to beaded leggings, and was wondering what other materials can be used other the buckskin, and something that will stand up on their own.

I have measured my legs and i'm going to have to tapper them to the ankle.
    What is the trick to getting a centralised pattern, on something that goes from 16inches to 10 inches.
    Hints tip and tricks, most grateful...

Merry Christmas
    Marlan
    Pow Wow Visitor
    Last edited by Marlan; 12-22-2009, 08:49 AM.

Centering your design shouldn't be a big deal. Either put a design on both sides (left and right) of the legging, or center it on the back.

Some people use baby crib sheets to bead on. The only bad thing about this is that it doesn't breathe, it will get sweaty and will mildew if it's not dried properly before storing. This happened to my daughters leggings.

I suggest a heavy weight canvas, or two layers of canvas bonded together with WonderUnder. Use bias tape on the edges before beading - then you can bead right to the edges without any unravelling.

Good luck!
    ...it is what it is...

Comment

wyo_rose.

many thanks for input
      very much appricated...

i presume that they can either be zippered or velco on the back.?
      I think i will go for the pattern on both sides rather then centre.. lol
      I can see myself getting into some bother with that one.

Many thanks

Comment

No zipper needed, maybe?

I don't think you have to have a zipper or velcro. Can't you just make them solid and slip them on? You know, since they are tappered, and they'll be strong w/the beads...you'd just have to be careful with measuring and allow for the beadwork to make them tighter.
        Would love to hear others' opinions, since I plan to change from satin/crib sheet to beadwork also.
        My leggins now, I just slip them on.
        Dance together.

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
          Centering your design shouldn't be a big deal. Either put a design on both sides (left and right) of the legging, or center it on the back.

Some people use baby crib sheets to bead on. The only bad thing about this is that it doesn't breathe, it will get sweaty and will mildew if it's not dried properly before storing. This happened to my daughters leggings.

I suggest a heavy weight canvas, or two layers of canvas bonded together with WonderUnder. Use bias tape on the edges before beading - then you can bead right to the edges without any unravelling.

Good luck!
          That's how I do it. Works great and if they get dirty you can hand wash them cuz some powwow grounds are pretty dusty. I also serge them and leave an edge if I don't know what color of bias to use right away. Some people cant decide and you might have to match their beadwork and materials. Hope this helps
          V
          The trouble with life is there's no background music!!!

Comment

Nope, you don't need a zipper or Velcro. If you do use one of those, or even buckskin ties, I think it looks best in the front.

If you sew it together as one piece, make sure you can fit your foot thru.

That's a good idea to serge the edges.
            ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X